Top Music Videos
With the Lord’s authority I say this: Live no longer as the [ungodly] do (v.17).
Conned out of a large sum of money by a business partner, who claimed to be deacon in a church, my friend’s anger and disenchantment ran deep. He said, “How can a Christian do this kind of thing? I trusted him. Now I know he’s no different from a non-Christian!”
Christ’s followers should be different. We’re to “live no longer as the [ungodly] do” in darkness of mind, deadness of life, hardness of heart, and wickedness of deed (Ephesians 17-19):
• Darkness of minds.As a nonbeliever, your mind was “full of darkness” (v.18). But with Jesus “you . . . have the light that leads to life” (John 8:12).
• Deadness of life.Previously, you were “far from the life God gives” (Ephesians 4:18). But “God made you alive with Christ” (Colossians 2:13). “The old life is gone; a new life has begun!” (2 Corinthians 5:17).
• Hardness of heart.You had a hardened heart (Ephesians 4:18), unable and unwilling to obey God. But God replaced it with a new heart that’s sensitive and responsive to Him (Jeremiah 24:7; Ezekiel 11:19-20).
• Wickedness of deed.Devoid of spiritual life, you were once morally calloused and insensitive, with “no sense of shame.” You lived “for lustful pleasure and eagerly [practiced] every kind of impurity” (Ephesians 4:19).
But no longer! Paul, “with the Lord’s authority,” emphatically cautioned and commanded you to “live no longer as the [ungodly] do!” (v.17). Instead, you are to “throw off your old sinful nature and your former way of life, . . . let the Spirit renew your thoughts and attitudes [and] put on your new nature” (vv.22-24).
You are a new person with a new heart, a new nature, and a new life. Be different. Be holy! (v.24).
What has changed in your life since you became a believer in Jesus? How will you make further changes?
- Fulfilled - Why is it important to view Old Testament laws through the lens of Jesus’ fulfillment of them?...read more
- Red Houses - What has God given you—time, finances, ability—that you can use to help someone in need today?...read more
- Tongues Afire - When have you recently endured the wound of another person’s words?...read more
- True Fellowship - What comes to your mind when you hear the word fellowship?...read more
- After 35 - What does it mean for you to rely on God in all things?...read more
- The Failure Wall - In what ways do you need to be prepared for encounters with spiritual enemies?...read more
- Worship 101 - What can you praise God for today?...read more
- Distance - What expectations do you have of fellow church members when it comes to meeting your needs?...read more
- Sarcasm and Sincerity - Do your words provide a safe environment for others?...read more
- Empty Spaces - What’s taking up space in your heart?...read more
- Showing the Way - How prepared are you to share your faith with others?...read more
- New Address? - Where’s the line between worrying and simply pondering a decision?...read more
- Real Stewardship - How are you using your gifts and talents to bring God to others?...read more
- Korah’s Redemption - How has God revealed His redeeming ways to you?...read more
- Stuff We Need - How can you give lavishly to God and others today?...read more
- Rising Above - What difficulties have caused you to experience distress recently?...read more