Cleansing and CallingWhat does it mean to follow God’s calling in your life?
Top Christian Music Videos
Do not judge others, and
you will not be judged
I normally take my kids to school 30 minutes before class begins. One morning we left the house later than
normal. When we picked them up from school, my middle son insisted that they had not made it to class on
time, and he had proof. He proudly presented “exhibit A”: He had seen our daughter with a detention slip in
her hand. The only problem with his evidence was that it was not her detention for being late to school—it was her classmate’s. She was holding it for him until he finished tying his shoe. My son apologized for misjudging his sister. He learned an important lesson about not judging others.
When Jesus began teaching His followers, He made sure they learned the same lesson (Matthew 7:1). When
He gave the “don’t judge” command, however, He wasn’t saying for them to put their minds in neutral and
refuse to examine people’s actions in order to hold them accountable to God’s standards. He simply wanted them to refrain from judging others just to build themselves up. Those who judged others would find themselves being judged in the same manner by God and by others.
There are several reasons why Jesus told His followers not to judge others. First, they may have only known part of the story and didn’t fully understand all the motives
and issues involved (1 Corinthians 4:5). Second, when they judged others, they brought God’s judgment on
themselves (Romans 2:1-3). Third, God is the only One who is qualified to judge anyone (James 4:11-12). Finally, when they judged others, they were not walking in Jesus’ steps (John 8:1-11).
Before we judge others, let’s seek to understand all the issues and motives of the situation, examine our own lives first, leave all judging to God, and humbly love, forgive, accept, and help others in a spirit of grace and understanding.
• Luke 18:9-14
• Romans 14:3,10
When are you most tempted to judge others?
What “planks” do you need to get out of your
own eyes first? Is there someone you need to
humbly love, accept, and forgive today?
- Cleansing and Calling - What does it mean to follow God’s calling in your life?...read more
- Finding Refuge - What does it mean for God to be your true refuge?...read more
- Why Pray? - What do you need to ask God for today?...read more
- Love and Adoption - What does it mean to you to be adopted by your heavenly Father?...read more
- Worship and Service - Why is it so vital for you to worship God with all you are?...read more
- Holy Desperation - Do you have a personal relationship with Jesus?...read more
- Insisting on Joy - What would it look like for you to insist on joy this week?...read more
- Hot Water - Where in your spiritual life have you become complacent?...read more
- Remade - Do any areas of your life need to be remade?...read more
- God’s Renewing Presence - What can you do to experience God’s renewing presence today?...read more
- Enduring Hope - Have you lost hope and become disillusioned with life?...read more
- Grasping Grace - What does God’s grace mean to you?...read more
- Clear View - How can you seek God’s wisdom and direction today?...read more
- Led by the Spirit - How do you distinguish between the leading of the Spirit and the whims and desires of your own heart?...read more
- No Longer Lost - Where have you seen God’s love and mercy in your life?...read more
- Grace that Motivates - How can we avoid the temptation to try and earn God’s approval by doing good deeds?...read more