Begging the Question?Do you ever feel pressure to share your faith in ways that seem awkward to you?
Top Music Videos
Don’t be like them, for your Father knows exactly what you need even before you ask Him! (v.8).
I have recently noticed that I am adept at a skill that should not be celebrated. I pretend to listen. Whether it’s a loss of focus because we’re planning what to say next in a heated debate or the random derailed train of thought amidst a casual conversation, I doubt that I’m the only one who excels in this gifting. Sometimes, realizing I have no idea what has been said, I will listen more carefully in the hopes of covering my lack of attention; other times, I simply tell on myself because I have no idea where the conversation has been.
When it comes to communication, few of us lose focus when we’re the ones talking—it’s the listening that creates difficulties. The same could be said for prayer.
We have our agendas of what we want God to know about our lives, our lists of prayer requests we offer for others, and a general expectation of what we hope to gain from our time with Him. While Scripture teaches us that persistence is valuable in prayer (Luke 11:5-10), we can begin to live out that Scripture (and others that deal with prayer) through our voice and not our heart.
Even the Lord’s Prayer, while it provides a model for us to know what to say, must be encountered not simply through what we speak but also by what we hear. We ask for His kingdom, will, and provision, but then we must listen to the particulars of how we should live this out in our daily lives. Listening is difficult, not only for the intangible attention it requires, but also for the willingness to put others before ourselves.
We can look for God’s hand and miss His heart, but we will never miss His hand when we listen for His heart (Matthew 6:33).
Read 1 Samuel 3:1-15 and consider the circumstances surrounding his encounter with God. What’s more familiar to you: the voice of man or the voice of the Lord?
How much time do you spend listening to God each day? What are some of the challenges you face when it comes to listening to Him?
- Begging the Question? - Do you ever feel pressure to share your faith in ways that seem awkward to you?...read more
- Fulfilled - Why is it important to view Old Testament laws through the lens of Jesus’ fulfillment of them?...read more
- Red Houses - What has God given you—time, finances, ability—that you can use to help someone in need today?...read more
- Tongues Afire - When have you recently endured the wound of another person’s words?...read more
- True Fellowship - What comes to your mind when you hear the word fellowship?...read more
- After 35 - What does it mean for you to rely on God in all things?...read more
- The Failure Wall - In what ways do you need to be prepared for encounters with spiritual enemies?...read more
- Worship 101 - What can you praise God for today?...read more
- Distance - What expectations do you have of fellow church members when it comes to meeting your needs?...read more
- Sarcasm and Sincerity - Do your words provide a safe environment for others?...read more
- Empty Spaces - What’s taking up space in your heart?...read more
- Showing the Way - How prepared are you to share your faith with others?...read more
- New Address? - Where’s the line between worrying and simply pondering a decision?...read more
- Real Stewardship - How are you using your gifts and talents to bring God to others?...read more
- Korah’s Redemption - How has God revealed His redeeming ways to you?...read more
- Stuff We Need - How can you give lavishly to God and others today?...read more