Connecting the DotsWhat good work is God doing in your life?
Top Music Videos
Don’t be like them, for your Father knows exactly what you need even before you ask Him! (v.8).
I have recently noticed that I am adept at a skill that should not be celebrated. I pretend to listen. Whether it’s a loss of focus because we’re planning what to say next in a heated debate or the random derailed train of thought amidst a casual conversation, I doubt that I’m the only one who excels in this gifting. Sometimes, realizing I have no idea what has been said, I will listen more carefully in the hopes of covering my lack of attention; other times, I simply tell on myself because I have no idea where the conversation has been.
When it comes to communication, few of us lose focus when we’re the ones talking—it’s the listening that creates difficulties. The same could be said for prayer.
We have our agendas of what we want God to know about our lives, our lists of prayer requests we offer for others, and a general expectation of what we hope to gain from our time with Him. While Scripture teaches us that persistence is valuable in prayer (Luke 11:5-10), we can begin to live out that Scripture (and others that deal with prayer) through our voice and not our heart.
Even the Lord’s Prayer, while it provides a model for us to know what to say, must be encountered not simply through what we speak but also by what we hear. We ask for His kingdom, will, and provision, but then we must listen to the particulars of how we should live this out in our daily lives. Listening is difficult, not only for the intangible attention it requires, but also for the willingness to put others before ourselves.
We can look for God’s hand and miss His heart, but we will never miss His hand when we listen for His heart (Matthew 6:33).
Read 1 Samuel 3:1-15 and consider the circumstances surrounding his encounter with God. What’s more familiar to you: the voice of man or the voice of the Lord?
How much time do you spend listening to God each day? What are some of the challenges you face when it comes to listening to Him?
- Connecting the Dots - What good work is God doing in your life?...read more
- Responding to Suffering - How do you feel when your life is interrupted by suffering and adversity?...read more
- Laying Our Lives Down - How has Jesus’ example inspired you to freely give of yourself?...read more
- "Brutiful" - How has God worked in “brutiful” ways in your life?...read more
- The First Day—Again - How does Jesus’ resurrection infuse you with fresh hope?...read more
- Clueless at the Light - What would others say about my influence on them?...read more
- Stinging Words - How have you experienced emotional or spiritual captivity?...read more
- Everyone Has a Story - Who needs you to listen to them? Make time for them today....read more
- Gateway of Hope - How has the rough stuff of your life kept you from hoping in God?...read more
- Philip Flunked - What specific truth about God could help you with a problem you’re currently facing?...read more
- Source of All Life - Every blessing comes from God....read more
- Trapped in Sin - How can you be set free and made right with God?...read more
- Hope Beyond Discouragement - How will you point others to the Source of Hope today?...read more
- Play Your Part - How can you encourage others to fulfill their calling?...read more
- Broken Community - How do we live out holiness without becoming judgmental of others?...read more
- Giving Out Love - How has God provided for you and those you love?...read more