Happy Ascension DayWhat’s one way you can celebrate the ascension of Jesus Christ today?
Top Music Videos
Michelangelo had begun what he figured to be his crowning achievement, chiseling marble statues for the tomb of Pope Julius II, when the pope pulled him away for a menial task unworthy of the artist's great skill. Michelangelo protested that many lesser painters could repair the plaster ceiling of the pope's chapel, and he fled Rome in a futile attempt to avoid doing it. He detested the pope for forcing him into this assignment (some scholars believe that his fresco contains a cherub making a gesture of contempt to an Old Testament prophet who looks suspiciously like Julius), but Michelangelo gave it his best and transformed a repair job into the masterpiece of the Sistine Chapel.
Despite Michelangelo's cryptic insult to the pope, his commitment to always do his best typifies Paul's command to the Colossians to "work willingly at whatever you do, as though you were working for the Lord" (3:23). Why does Paul say that our work is "for the Lord"?
Earlier in Colossians, Paul declares that Jesus is the Creator and "through Him God created everything in the heavenly realms and on earth" (1:16). If Jesus is the Creator, then He is the one who "placed the man in the Garden of Eden to tend and watch over it" (Genesis 2:15) and who commanded Adam and Eve to "be fruitful and multiply" and to "fill the earth and govern it" (Genesis 1:28). Theologians call this initial command the "cultural mandate." It includes the idea that, as believers in Jesus, God has called us to establish cultures that reflect His beauty and glory.
Where does your job fit into this picture? How does what you do serve others and contribute to the development of culture? Give God your cheerful best, whether you are doing a repair job, painting a masterpiece, or both. , Mike Wittmer, Our Daily Journey
CLICK HERE to visit OurDailyJourney.org
- Happy Ascension Day - What’s one way you can celebrate the ascension of Jesus Christ today?...read more
- Mixed Bag - Are there any blind spots in your life?...read more
- All We Need - How might you trust God for the bounty He alone can provide?...read more
- Simple Things - What simple pleasures can you rediscover with God today?...read more
- Thirsty? - How has God provided our identity and significance in Jesus?...read more
- Freedom from Stress - How can loving and obeying God help you to find the peace He has promised His children?...read more
- Portrait of Jesus - What did Jesus endure for you?...read more
- Slow Learners - What are you struggling to understand in your faith journey with Jesus?...read more
- The Same God - Why would it be wrong for God to not deal with sin in such a serious way?...read more
- In Jesus’ Love - What Scripture verses have been most encouraging to you?...read more
- Don’t Hesitate - How can you become more confident in sharing your faith?...read more
- Broken Instruments - Has anyone ever paid the cost of fixing something you’ve broken or destroyed?...read more
- True Sacrifice - How can you better remind yourself of your great wealth in Christ?...read more
- Jesus and the Junk - What are you trying to hide from God and others?...read more
- Changing Our Tune - What angers you today and why?...read more
- Blending In - What does it mean to stand for Jesus instead of blending in?...read more