Sweet MusicWhat things have you been trying to handle without prayer?
Top Music Videos
Unhappy at Work
Lazy people are soon poor (v.4).
I have a friend who had been unhappy at work. He told me that no matter how hard he tried, his boss was completely unreasonable. Ultimately, he was fired. An acquaintance who knows both my friend and his boss told me he feels that it was my friend’s issues that led to his dismissal. So what’s the truth? My guess is that it’s a mixture of the two viewpoints. But here’s one thing we can know without question: Being unhappy in one’s work can lead to some sad results.
How’s your job going? Do you see it as a sacred vocation, or have you lost all motivation? Solomon, in Proverbs, presents some practical, inspiring wisdom that can help you do your work well and enjoy it better:
• Take wise steps—Moping or simply getting mad will not help your situation. Seek God in prayer and apply the principles of His Word to what you’re experiencing on the job—choosing to do the right thing as His wise child (Proverbs 10:1.)
• Trust God for the results—God knows your needs and He promises to provide just what you need (v.3; Matthew 6:31). Seek His kingdom as you trust Him with your job and its future.
• Truly do the work—Lazy and irresponsible behavior will not be rewarded. Instead, follow the instruction of the apostle Paul and “work willingly at whatever you do, as though you were working for the Lord rather than for people. Remember that the Lord will give you an inheritance as your reward, and that the Master you are serving is Christ” (Colossians 3:23).
Yes, our ultimate “boss,” our highest Master, is Jesus Himself. As we make it our aim to glorify Him in our work, contentment and joy will follow.
Read Proverbs 14:23 and note the importance of doing the work and not just talking a good game.
How does your attitude need to change so that you can truly do your work to God’s glory? Why is it true that all work is sacred?
- Sweet Music - What things have you been trying to handle without prayer?...read more
- Laughter - How do joy and laughter reveal the heart of God?...read more
- Powerful Patience - How can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?...read more
- Overwhelmed - What has sunk your spirits today?...read more
- Greater - How does the knowledge that God is greater than our storms impact the way you feel?...read more
- Voice of Reason - How do you respond to the rage of others?...read more
- Source of Truth - What does Scripture reveal about the issues on your mind today?...read more
- Little Things - Do you measure yourself and others according to God’s standards or the world’s?...read more
- Jesus the Reconciler - What does it add to your understanding of the cross to recognize that Jesus was enacting your reconciliation with God?...read more
- Tasting Heaven - How can you echo God’s future banquet by inviting diverse guests to your dinner parties?...read more
- Possible - What does it mean for you to know that Jesus is your Shepherd?...read more
- "Follow Me!" - Why are you following Jesus?...read more
- Here’s Hope - Why do we sometimes keep our struggles to ourselves?...read more
- Is Jesus Enough? - How do you react when you see injustice in the world, or when circumstances are against you and God seems to be silent?...read more
- Greater Work - What life experience has most challenged your understanding of prayer?...read more
- Awe - Where and when do you find yourself most in awe of God?...read more