VictoryWhat battles are you facing these days?
Top Music Videos
Unhappy at Work
Lazy people are soon poor (v.4).
I have a friend who had been unhappy at work. He told me that no matter how hard he tried, his boss was completely unreasonable. Ultimately, he was fired. An acquaintance who knows both my friend and his boss told me he feels that it was my friend’s issues that led to his dismissal. So what’s the truth? My guess is that it’s a mixture of the two viewpoints. But here’s one thing we can know without question: Being unhappy in one’s work can lead to some sad results.
How’s your job going? Do you see it as a sacred vocation, or have you lost all motivation? Solomon, in Proverbs, presents some practical, inspiring wisdom that can help you do your work well and enjoy it better:
• Take wise steps—Moping or simply getting mad will not help your situation. Seek God in prayer and apply the principles of His Word to what you’re experiencing on the job—choosing to do the right thing as His wise child (Proverbs 10:1.)
• Trust God for the results—God knows your needs and He promises to provide just what you need (v.3; Matthew 6:31). Seek His kingdom as you trust Him with your job and its future.
• Truly do the work—Lazy and irresponsible behavior will not be rewarded. Instead, follow the instruction of the apostle Paul and “work willingly at whatever you do, as though you were working for the Lord rather than for people. Remember that the Lord will give you an inheritance as your reward, and that the Master you are serving is Christ” (Colossians 3:23).
Yes, our ultimate “boss,” our highest Master, is Jesus Himself. As we make it our aim to glorify Him in our work, contentment and joy will follow.
Read Proverbs 14:23 and note the importance of doing the work and not just talking a good game.
How does your attitude need to change so that you can truly do your work to God’s glory? Why is it true that all work is sacred?
- Victory - What battles are you facing these days?...read more
- Starting Over - Have you experienced a fresh start in Jesus?...read more
- Genuine Love - How have you experienced the reality of God’s love?...read more
- Straight Up - Is there a current situation in your life where you’ve been less than honest?...read more
- He Saw Something - Have you seen something so true that you would be willing to live or die for it?...read more
- Higher Law, Higher Love - What choice of conscience faces you today?...read more
- Stay or Run Away - How might God want you to display His glory in your life?...read more
- Jealousy and Generosity - To help His followers understand what the kingdom of heaven is like and the dangers of comparison obsession, Jesus told a parable about a landowner who hired workers to tend his vineyard....read more
- On the Fringe - Who sits alone at church that you can befriend?...read more
- Taming Anger - Think back to a time when you lashed out in anger, or when someone lashed out at you....read more
- Full of Joy - How can you tap into God’s joy more fully?...read more
- Mistaken vs. Hard Hearts - How have you experienced a hard heart toward God in your relationship with Him?...read more
- The Narrow Door - How can salvation be a free gift simply received and yet still require our response?...read more
- Last Dance - How can you focus on thoughts that are lovely and admirable today?...read more
- Free to Forgive - How has God’s forgiveness changed your heart?...read more
- Friendly Wounds - What does it mean to “speak the truth in love”?...read more