Always ThereDo you believe that the Lord is always with you?
Top Music Videos
Winning Over Worry
Seek the kingdom of
God above all else, and
live righteously, and He
will give you everything
you need (v.33).
In the last year, my family has had much to worry
about. My wife wasn’t called back to her full-time
teaching position (we counted on her income to
help cover household expenses), my son was having
recurring chest pain that we thought was due to an
enlarged heart, our insurance was running out and an
alternative plan was going to be more than we could
afford, and—if that wasn’t enough—I changed jobs. At
some point these concerns turned into worry and we let
them consume us. We desperately needed the wisdom
Jesus spoke of in Matthew 6.
That section begins with Him commanding His
followers to stop worrying and scurrying in different
directions (v.25). He went on to give His followers four
reasons why they shouldn’t worry:
Life is more than food, drink, and clothing (v.25). Jesus
understood that these are necessities in life, but they
aren’t the most important things in life.
God cares for His children (v.26). If He feeds the birds
and clothes the flowers with beautiful color, how much
more does God care for those created in His image?
Worrying doesn’t accomplish anything (v.27). Jesus
said that worrying doesn’t add anything useful to the
worrier’s day; it’s actually a life-draining endeavor.
Worrying is godless (v.32). Those who don’t know
God depend on material possessions, and they allow
things to rule their lives. Jesus wants His disciples to live with the assurance that
His heavenly Father is in complete control.
Let’s focus on what God cares about, and then He will take care of what we
worry about (v.33). This means pursuing His rule and supremacy in our lives
with all we have. When we do that, He will take care of our needs.
• Philippians 4:6-8
• 1 Peter 5:7
What worries or anxieties
do you need to cast on
God? How can you turn
your worry into a prayer
- Always There - Do you believe that the Lord is always with you?...read more
- Seasons of Grief - Are you going through a season of grief where you are struggling to grieve?...read more
- John's Question - What steps can you take to seek God’s perspective in a current challenging situation?...read more
- Victory - What battles are you facing these days?...read more
- Starting Over - Have you experienced a fresh start in Jesus?...read more
- Genuine Love - How have you experienced the reality of God’s love?...read more
- Straight Up - Is there a current situation in your life where you’ve been less than honest?...read more
- He Saw Something - Have you seen something so true that you would be willing to live or die for it?...read more
- Higher Law, Higher Love - What choice of conscience faces you today?...read more
- Stay or Run Away - How might God want you to display His glory in your life?...read more
- Jealousy and Generosity - To help His followers understand what the kingdom of heaven is like and the dangers of comparison obsession, Jesus told a parable about a landowner who hired workers to tend his vineyard....read more
- On the Fringe - Who sits alone at church that you can befriend?...read more
- Taming Anger - Think back to a time when you lashed out in anger, or when someone lashed out at you....read more
- Full of Joy - How can you tap into God’s joy more fully?...read more
- Mistaken vs. Hard Hearts - How have you experienced a hard heart toward God in your relationship with Him?...read more
- The Narrow Door - How can salvation be a free gift simply received and yet still require our response?...read more