Run with It!Jesus is the author of life.
Top Christian Music Videos
Winning Over Worry
Seek the kingdom of
God above all else, and
live righteously, and He
will give you everything
you need (v.33).
In the last year, my family has had much to worry
about. My wife wasn’t called back to her full-time
teaching position (we counted on her income to
help cover household expenses), my son was having
recurring chest pain that we thought was due to an
enlarged heart, our insurance was running out and an
alternative plan was going to be more than we could
afford, and—if that wasn’t enough—I changed jobs. At
some point these concerns turned into worry and we let
them consume us. We desperately needed the wisdom
Jesus spoke of in Matthew 6.
That section begins with Him commanding His
followers to stop worrying and scurrying in different
directions (v.25). He went on to give His followers four
reasons why they shouldn’t worry:
Life is more than food, drink, and clothing (v.25). Jesus
understood that these are necessities in life, but they
aren’t the most important things in life.
God cares for His children (v.26). If He feeds the birds
and clothes the flowers with beautiful color, how much
more does God care for those created in His image?
Worrying doesn’t accomplish anything (v.27). Jesus
said that worrying doesn’t add anything useful to the
worrier’s day; it’s actually a life-draining endeavor.
Worrying is godless (v.32). Those who don’t know
God depend on material possessions, and they allow
things to rule their lives. Jesus wants His disciples to live with the assurance that
His heavenly Father is in complete control.
Let’s focus on what God cares about, and then He will take care of what we
worry about (v.33). This means pursuing His rule and supremacy in our lives
with all we have. When we do that, He will take care of our needs.
• Philippians 4:6-8
• 1 Peter 5:7
What worries or anxieties
do you need to cast on
God? How can you turn
your worry into a prayer
- Run with It! - Jesus is the author of life....read more
- Sacrificial Love - What does it mean for you to carry your cross?...read more
- Autograph of the Ordinary - Do you accept the truth that God is in your ordinary work?...read more
- The Gift of Love - How should you respond to such a great love?...read more
- Warm Welcome - How does warm hospitality reflect God’s loving heart?...read more
- In the Gap - What has God equipped you with to intercede for others?...read more
- Confession and Blessing - How does repentance reveal our faith and trust in Jesus?...read more
- Breaking the Mold - How are you sharing Jesus with the next generation?...read more
- Diseased Hearts - What are the implications of only God truly knowing the heart and being able to cure it?...read more
- To Make Them Better - To follow Jesus means we allow God to transform the whole of our life....read more
- Looking for Work? - Consider how God has uniquely equipped you....read more
- Out of the Blue - God intervened before we were aware of our need....read more
- Joy and Sadness - Is there sadness in your life you need to embrace?...read more
- Passion Unleashed - What gifts and talents has God given you?...read more
- Thankful for What? - How do your difficult times more clearly illustrate God’s power and redemption?...read more
- Where Desire Takes Us - What desires have you been wrestling with?...read more