Staying TrueOur ability to stand in the midst of trials will depend on the focus of our gaze.
Top Christian Music Videos
Winning Over Worry
Seek the kingdom of
God above all else, and
live righteously, and He
will give you everything
you need (v.33).
In the last year, my family has had much to worry
about. My wife wasn’t called back to her full-time
teaching position (we counted on her income to
help cover household expenses), my son was having
recurring chest pain that we thought was due to an
enlarged heart, our insurance was running out and an
alternative plan was going to be more than we could
afford, and—if that wasn’t enough—I changed jobs. At
some point these concerns turned into worry and we let
them consume us. We desperately needed the wisdom
Jesus spoke of in Matthew 6.
That section begins with Him commanding His
followers to stop worrying and scurrying in different
directions (v.25). He went on to give His followers four
reasons why they shouldn’t worry:
Life is more than food, drink, and clothing (v.25). Jesus
understood that these are necessities in life, but they
aren’t the most important things in life.
God cares for His children (v.26). If He feeds the birds
and clothes the flowers with beautiful color, how much
more does God care for those created in His image?
Worrying doesn’t accomplish anything (v.27). Jesus
said that worrying doesn’t add anything useful to the
worrier’s day; it’s actually a life-draining endeavor.
Worrying is godless (v.32). Those who don’t know
God depend on material possessions, and they allow
things to rule their lives. Jesus wants His disciples to live with the assurance that
His heavenly Father is in complete control.
Let’s focus on what God cares about, and then He will take care of what we
worry about (v.33). This means pursuing His rule and supremacy in our lives
with all we have. When we do that, He will take care of our needs.
• Philippians 4:6-8
• 1 Peter 5:7
What worries or anxieties
do you need to cast on
God? How can you turn
your worry into a prayer
- Staying True - Our ability to stand in the midst of trials will depend on the focus of our gaze....read more
- Write Your Epitaph - How are you growing in your faith and the proclaiming of it?...read more
- What Happens in the End - Are you feeling hopeless and weary? Be reminded of what happens in the end!...read more
- Stop Painting Your Bucket - Who you are is who you are in Jesus....read more
- What We Have - When do you feel most grateful?...read more
- God's Perspective - What has God called you to do that might appear to be too challenging?...read more
- More than Walking on Water - Do you ever find yourself focusing more on what God can do than on who He is?...read more
- The Spirit’s Wind - In what areas of your life have you been laboring in your own strength instead of God’s power?...read more
- Laying Down Your Life - What does it mean for you to embrace Jesus as the One who laid down His life for you?...read more
- Hidden Costs - What are some ways you can avoid falling prey to Satan’s hidden costs this week?...read more
- Limits - How often are you weary or stressed from church work?...read more
- Healing Prayer - Why is it important for us to bring our pain and suffering to God?...read more
- Pleasing God in the Mundane - Do you sometimes feel drained by serving God and others?...read more
- Avoiding Mean Streets - In what ways have you been entering deeper into God’s wisdom or moving farther away from it?...read more
- The Presence of Jesus - What past or current sinful choice has caused you to experience shame?...read more
- When We See Jesus - Do you long to see Jesus?...read more