Running the RaceHow deliberate are you in your spiritual training?
Top Christian Music Videos
Winning Over Worry
Seek the kingdom of
God above all else, and
live righteously, and He
will give you everything
you need (v.33).
In the last year, my family has had much to worry
about. My wife wasn’t called back to her full-time
teaching position (we counted on her income to
help cover household expenses), my son was having
recurring chest pain that we thought was due to an
enlarged heart, our insurance was running out and an
alternative plan was going to be more than we could
afford, and—if that wasn’t enough—I changed jobs. At
some point these concerns turned into worry and we let
them consume us. We desperately needed the wisdom
Jesus spoke of in Matthew 6.
That section begins with Him commanding His
followers to stop worrying and scurrying in different
directions (v.25). He went on to give His followers four
reasons why they shouldn’t worry:
Life is more than food, drink, and clothing (v.25). Jesus
understood that these are necessities in life, but they
aren’t the most important things in life.
God cares for His children (v.26). If He feeds the birds
and clothes the flowers with beautiful color, how much
more does God care for those created in His image?
Worrying doesn’t accomplish anything (v.27). Jesus
said that worrying doesn’t add anything useful to the
worrier’s day; it’s actually a life-draining endeavor.
Worrying is godless (v.32). Those who don’t know
God depend on material possessions, and they allow
things to rule their lives. Jesus wants His disciples to live with the assurance that
His heavenly Father is in complete control.
Let’s focus on what God cares about, and then He will take care of what we
worry about (v.33). This means pursuing His rule and supremacy in our lives
with all we have. When we do that, He will take care of our needs.
• Philippians 4:6-8
• 1 Peter 5:7
What worries or anxieties
do you need to cast on
God? How can you turn
your worry into a prayer
- Running the Race - How deliberate are you in your spiritual training?...read more
- Out of Love - How did God show love for us through His sacrifice?...read more
- God's Masterpiece - What does it mean for God’s people to be a masterpiece?...read more
- Prayerful Retreat - How often do you have a “prayerful retreat” with God?...read more
- Laying Down Our Lives - What sometimes holds you back from laying down your life for others?...read more
- A Little Farther - Do you hear much about lament in your local church?...read more
- Distraction - What’s your biggest distraction as you strive to follow Jesus?...read more
- Intentional Defiance - Be encouraged by a God who is with you to discipline and lead you away from wrong turns....read more
- The Family Name - How do you show appreciation for the reconciliation God has offered?...read more
- Unwavering Love - What does it mean for you to rest in God’s unwavering love?...read more
- Far Better - What are you most looking forward to when God calls you home?...read more
- A Good Name - When you consider your reputation, what might you change to better reflect Jesus to others?...read more
- Light the Path - How have others illumined the path for you to Jesus?...read more
- More Than Feelings - God created us to live in the fullness of His image—emotions included....read more
- Of Penguins and People - Who needs your committed, enduring love today?...read more
- Big and Small - What do you do with your worries?...read more