A Little FartherDo you hear much about lament in your local church?
Top Christian Music Videos
You Are Owned
Acknowledge that the Lord is God! He made us, and we are His. We are His people, the sheep of His pasture (v.3).
It’s devastating to be owned by another human. Slaves suffer unimaginable heartbreak and abuse because their lives are not their own. Another person tells them where they will live, what they will do, even whom they will marry. They have no say. Being owned is so harsh that even today, when we want to express the domination of one person over another, we are apt to say something like “Susan ownsTom,” meaning that he pretty much does whatever she wants.
As awful as it is to be owned by another human, it’s just as wonderful to learn that we are owned by God. Psalm 100 declares that we belong to God, for “we are Hispeople, the sheep of His pasture” (v.3). Jesus picked up on this in His story of the lost sheep. He said that the Shepherd searches for us just as a good shepherd leaves the flock to find the one lamb that has strayed. And when He finds us, He carries us home on His shoulders and calls to His neighbors, “Rejoice with Me because I have found My lost sheep” (Luke 15:6).
Those words will melt any lamb’s heart. Jesus doesn’t care where we’ve been or how far we’ve strayed. We may be splashed with mud, covered with prickly burrs, and bleeding from our wanderings through a brier patch—but we still belong to Him.
Jesus’ ownership frees us in at least two ways. First, we’re liberated from the burden of performance. We don’t have to make something of ourselves. We already are somebody, for we are His. Second, we’re liberated to do our best. The pressure is off, so we’re free to take our best shot as we strive to please our Lord.
To be owned by another human is slavery; to be owned by God is freedom.
Read 1 Peter 1:13 to learn how Jesus earned the right to own us and how this transforms the way we think and live.
What are other benefits of being owned by God? Why is being owned by Him better than owning ourselves?
- A Little Farther - Do you hear much about lament in your local church?...read more
- Distraction - What’s your biggest distraction as you strive to follow Jesus?...read more
- Intentional Defiance - Be encouraged by a God who is with you to discipline and lead you away from wrong turns....read more
- The Family Name - How do you show appreciation for the reconciliation God has offered?...read more
- Unwavering Love - What does it mean for you to rest in God’s unwavering love?...read more
- Far Better - What are you most looking forward to when God calls you home?...read more
- A Good Name - When you consider your reputation, what might you change to better reflect Jesus to others?...read more
- Light the Path - How have others illumined the path for you to Jesus?...read more
- More Than Feelings - God created us to live in the fullness of His image—emotions included....read more
- Of Penguins and People - Who needs your committed, enduring love today?...read more
- Big and Small - What do you do with your worries?...read more
- A Way Out - Do you have a tendency to overestimate or underestimate?...read more
- Extravagant Love - When have you encountered God’s extravagant love?...read more
- Income vs. Investment - How will you be “rich in good works” today?...read more
- Famous in God’s Eyes - Who needs you to humbly, lovingly serve them today?...read more
- Shared Responsibility - Have you ever apologized for the actions of someone else?...read more