The Job ParadoxWhen have you missed an opportunity to follow God’s guidance during a difficult time?
Top Music Videos
You Are Owned
Acknowledge that the Lord is God! He made us, and we are His. We are His people, the sheep of His pasture (v.3).
It’s devastating to be owned by another human. Slaves suffer unimaginable heartbreak and abuse because their lives are not their own. Another person tells them where they will live, what they will do, even whom they will marry. They have no say. Being owned is so harsh that even today, when we want to express the domination of one person over another, we are apt to say something like “Susan ownsTom,” meaning that he pretty much does whatever she wants.
As awful as it is to be owned by another human, it’s just as wonderful to learn that we are owned by God. Psalm 100 declares that we belong to God, for “we are Hispeople, the sheep of His pasture” (v.3). Jesus picked up on this in His story of the lost sheep. He said that the Shepherd searches for us just as a good shepherd leaves the flock to find the one lamb that has strayed. And when He finds us, He carries us home on His shoulders and calls to His neighbors, “Rejoice with Me because I have found My lost sheep” (Luke 15:6).
Those words will melt any lamb’s heart. Jesus doesn’t care where we’ve been or how far we’ve strayed. We may be splashed with mud, covered with prickly burrs, and bleeding from our wanderings through a brier patch—but we still belong to Him.
Jesus’ ownership frees us in at least two ways. First, we’re liberated from the burden of performance. We don’t have to make something of ourselves. We already are somebody, for we are His. Second, we’re liberated to do our best. The pressure is off, so we’re free to take our best shot as we strive to please our Lord.
To be owned by another human is slavery; to be owned by God is freedom.
Read 1 Peter 1:13 to learn how Jesus earned the right to own us and how this transforms the way we think and live.
What are other benefits of being owned by God? Why is being owned by Him better than owning ourselves?
- The Job Paradox - When have you missed an opportunity to follow God’s guidance during a difficult time?...read more
- Begging the Question? - Do you ever feel pressure to share your faith in ways that seem awkward to you?...read more
- Fulfilled - Why is it important to view Old Testament laws through the lens of Jesus’ fulfillment of them?...read more
- Red Houses - What has God given you—time, finances, ability—that you can use to help someone in need today?...read more
- Tongues Afire - When have you recently endured the wound of another person’s words?...read more
- True Fellowship - What comes to your mind when you hear the word fellowship?...read more
- After 35 - What does it mean for you to rely on God in all things?...read more
- The Failure Wall - In what ways do you need to be prepared for encounters with spiritual enemies?...read more
- Worship 101 - What can you praise God for today?...read more
- Distance - What expectations do you have of fellow church members when it comes to meeting your needs?...read more
- Sarcasm and Sincerity - Do your words provide a safe environment for others?...read more
- Empty Spaces - What’s taking up space in your heart?...read more
- Showing the Way - How prepared are you to share your faith with others?...read more
- New Address? - Where’s the line between worrying and simply pondering a decision?...read more
- Real Stewardship - How are you using your gifts and talents to bring God to others?...read more
- Korah’s Redemption - How has God revealed His redeeming ways to you?...read more