Spiritual StrugglesWhen you struggle spiritually, how do you react?
Top Music Videos
It's likely that several people you know have been laid off this year. Recently I learned that another good friend had lost his job. This would be bad news for anyone, but it was especially brutal for my friend because his wife's position had been eliminated just a month before!
King David knew what it felt like to lose his position, and it resulted in true grief and sorrow (2 Samuel 15:30), multiplied by the fact that it was his own son Absalom who had snatched his throne (v.13). We can all identify with David in his feelings of defeat and sadness. The loss of a job produces that kind of unfortunate fruit. The king even wondered if his days of reigning over God's people was history, as he said, "If [God] is through with me, then let Him do what seems best to Him" (v.26). David wrote Psalm 3 when he was fleeing from Absalom. If you or someone you know has lost a job, here are three positive things David found through experiencing loss that could be helpful to you as well: Humility, A job can become a source of our identity and even a source of pride. Loss brings us to a point of humility before God and others. We recognize that it is God alone "who holds my head high" (v.3).
Dependence, Loss drives us to a place of desperation. We truly need God and His provision. We "[cry] out to the Lord" and He answers us (v.4).
Confidence, Not in ourselves, but in God. We learn a deeper level of trust in the One who is "watching over" us (v.5) and gives us "victory" (v.8), both today and forever!
You don't have to lose everything when your job is lost. Trust in God and His provision for today. , Tom Felten, Our Daily Journey
CLICK HERE to visit OurDailyJourney.org
- Spiritual Struggles - When you struggle spiritually, how do you react?...read more
- Happy Ascension Day - What’s one way you can celebrate the ascension of Jesus Christ today?...read more
- Mixed Bag - Are there any blind spots in your life?...read more
- All We Need - How might you trust God for the bounty He alone can provide?...read more
- Simple Things - What simple pleasures can you rediscover with God today?...read more
- Thirsty? - How has God provided our identity and significance in Jesus?...read more
- Freedom from Stress - How can loving and obeying God help you to find the peace He has promised His children?...read more
- Portrait of Jesus - What did Jesus endure for you?...read more
- Slow Learners - What are you struggling to understand in your faith journey with Jesus?...read more
- The Same God - Why would it be wrong for God to not deal with sin in such a serious way?...read more
- In Jesus’ Love - What Scripture verses have been most encouraging to you?...read more
- Don’t Hesitate - How can you become more confident in sharing your faith?...read more
- Broken Instruments - Has anyone ever paid the cost of fixing something you’ve broken or destroyed?...read more
- True Sacrifice - How can you better remind yourself of your great wealth in Christ?...read more
- Jesus and the Junk - What are you trying to hide from God and others?...read more
- Changing Our Tune - What angers you today and why?...read more