LaughterHow do joy and laughter reveal the heart of God?
Top Music Videos
It's likely that several people you know have been laid off this year. Recently I learned that another good friend had lost his job. This would be bad news for anyone, but it was especially brutal for my friend because his wife's position had been eliminated just a month before!
King David knew what it felt like to lose his position, and it resulted in true grief and sorrow (2 Samuel 15:30), multiplied by the fact that it was his own son Absalom who had snatched his throne (v.13). We can all identify with David in his feelings of defeat and sadness. The loss of a job produces that kind of unfortunate fruit. The king even wondered if his days of reigning over God's people was history, as he said, "If [God] is through with me, then let Him do what seems best to Him" (v.26). David wrote Psalm 3 when he was fleeing from Absalom. If you or someone you know has lost a job, here are three positive things David found through experiencing loss that could be helpful to you as well: Humility, A job can become a source of our identity and even a source of pride. Loss brings us to a point of humility before God and others. We recognize that it is God alone "who holds my head high" (v.3).
Dependence, Loss drives us to a place of desperation. We truly need God and His provision. We "[cry] out to the Lord" and He answers us (v.4).
Confidence, Not in ourselves, but in God. We learn a deeper level of trust in the One who is "watching over" us (v.5) and gives us "victory" (v.8), both today and forever!
You don't have to lose everything when your job is lost. Trust in God and His provision for today. , Tom Felten, Our Daily Journey
CLICK HERE to visit OurDailyJourney.org
- Laughter - How do joy and laughter reveal the heart of God?...read more
- Powerful Patience - How can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?...read more
- Overwhelmed - What has sunk your spirits today?...read more
- Greater - How does the knowledge that God is greater than our storms impact the way you feel?...read more
- Voice of Reason - How do you respond to the rage of others?...read more
- Source of Truth - What does Scripture reveal about the issues on your mind today?...read more
- Little Things - Do you measure yourself and others according to God’s standards or the world’s?...read more
- Jesus the Reconciler - What does it add to your understanding of the cross to recognize that Jesus was enacting your reconciliation with God?...read more
- Tasting Heaven - How can you echo God’s future banquet by inviting diverse guests to your dinner parties?...read more
- Possible - What does it mean for you to know that Jesus is your Shepherd?...read more
- "Follow Me!" - Why are you following Jesus?...read more
- Here’s Hope - Why do we sometimes keep our struggles to ourselves?...read more
- Is Jesus Enough? - How do you react when you see injustice in the world, or when circumstances are against you and God seems to be silent?...read more
- Greater Work - What life experience has most challenged your understanding of prayer?...read more
- Awe - Where and when do you find yourself most in awe of God?...read more
- Purpose - How does the apostle Paul’s life demonstrate God’s “purpose” to you?...read more