Right and Wrong WordsIs your tongue quick to criticize but slow to apologize?
Top Christian Music Videos
Joseph, her fiancé, was a good man and did not want to disgrace her publicly, so he decided to break the engagement quietly (v.19).
The opening line of the 1984 song “Holding Out for a Hero” asks, “Where have all the good men gone?” That’s a fair question in a world that has seen more than its share of passive or violent males. Fortunately, “good men” are not as rare as some think. Consider Joseph, the husband of Mary and stepfather of Jesus. What he did after learning that his bride-to-be was pregnant was truly admirable.
At first, Joseph didn’t buy Mary’s explanation. I can’t blame him. Being told that your virgin fiancée was pregnant with God’s child would be enough to stun anyone. After hearing Mary’s explanation, I can imagine Joseph thinking, Come on, Mary. Is that the best you can do?
Even though Joseph had his doubts, the Bible tells us he was a “good man.” He could have made a huge scene and publicly disgraced Mary. But instead of thinking only of himself, his initial thought was to protect her by divorcing her “quietly” (Matthew 1:19).
While Joseph was thinking things over, an angel told him in a dream that Mary’s story, as far-fetched as it sounded, was true. The baby in her womb was truly the promised Savior of the world (vv.20-21)! And again, at great risk to his own reputation, Joseph intervened on Mary’s behalf and married her. Keep in mind that he was the only one in town— besides Mary—who knewthat he wasn’t the father, but he was willing to take the heat for her sake (v.24).
It was a courageous and selfless move on Joseph’s part. And it shows that men are at their best when they intercede on behalf of others. Imitating the selfless Savior, Jesus, is being a true man.
Lord, may more men rise up and be a Joseph. Help them see what You’ve called them to be.
Read Proverbs 30:18 to see the type of love that made Solomon marvel.
Where is God calling you to step up for the good of someone else? Why is being selfless for the cause of Christ such a beautiful thing?
- Right and Wrong Words - Is your tongue quick to criticize but slow to apologize?...read more
- Kindness and Hospitality - How are you using your God-given gifts to love and serve others?...read more
- Rejoicing in Deep Need - What happens when you choose to rejoice in God even when you’re in deep need?...read more
- Staying True - Our ability to stand in the midst of trials will depend on the focus of our gaze....read more
- Write Your Epitaph - How are you growing in your faith and the proclaiming of it?...read more
- What Happens in the End - Are you feeling hopeless and weary? Be reminded of what happens in the end!...read more
- Stop Painting Your Bucket - Who you are is who you are in Jesus....read more
- What We Have - When do you feel most grateful?...read more
- God's Perspective - What has God called you to do that might appear to be too challenging?...read more
- More than Walking on Water - Do you ever find yourself focusing more on what God can do than on who He is?...read more
- The Spirit’s Wind - In what areas of your life have you been laboring in your own strength instead of God’s power?...read more
- Laying Down Your Life - What does it mean for you to embrace Jesus as the One who laid down His life for you?...read more
- Hidden Costs - What are some ways you can avoid falling prey to Satan’s hidden costs this week?...read more
- Limits - How often are you weary or stressed from church work?...read more
- Healing Prayer - Why is it important for us to bring our pain and suffering to God?...read more
- Pleasing God in the Mundane - Do you sometimes feel drained by serving God and others?...read more