Starting OverHave you experienced a fresh start in Jesus?
Top Music Videos
Joseph, her fiancé, was a good man and did not want to disgrace her publicly, so he decided to break the engagement quietly (v.19).
The opening line of the 1984 song “Holding Out for a Hero” asks, “Where have all the good men gone?” That’s a fair question in a world that has seen more than its share of passive or violent males. Fortunately, “good men” are not as rare as some think. Consider Joseph, the husband of Mary and stepfather of Jesus. What he did after learning that his bride-to-be was pregnant was truly admirable.
At first, Joseph didn’t buy Mary’s explanation. I can’t blame him. Being told that your virgin fiancée was pregnant with God’s child would be enough to stun anyone. After hearing Mary’s explanation, I can imagine Joseph thinking, Come on, Mary. Is that the best you can do?
Even though Joseph had his doubts, the Bible tells us he was a “good man.” He could have made a huge scene and publicly disgraced Mary. But instead of thinking only of himself, his initial thought was to protect her by divorcing her “quietly” (Matthew 1:19).
While Joseph was thinking things over, an angel told him in a dream that Mary’s story, as far-fetched as it sounded, was true. The baby in her womb was truly the promised Savior of the world (vv.20-21)! And again, at great risk to his own reputation, Joseph intervened on Mary’s behalf and married her. Keep in mind that he was the only one in town— besides Mary—who knewthat he wasn’t the father, but he was willing to take the heat for her sake (v.24).
It was a courageous and selfless move on Joseph’s part. And it shows that men are at their best when they intercede on behalf of others. Imitating the selfless Savior, Jesus, is being a true man.
Lord, may more men rise up and be a Joseph. Help them see what You’ve called them to be.
Read Proverbs 30:18 to see the type of love that made Solomon marvel.
Where is God calling you to step up for the good of someone else? Why is being selfless for the cause of Christ such a beautiful thing?
- Starting Over - Have you experienced a fresh start in Jesus?...read more
- Genuine Love - How have you experienced the reality of God’s love?...read more
- Straight Up - Is there a current situation in your life where you’ve been less than honest?...read more
- He Saw Something - Have you seen something so true that you would be willing to live or die for it?...read more
- Higher Law, Higher Love - What choice of conscience faces you today?...read more
- Stay or Run Away - How might God want you to display His glory in your life?...read more
- Jealousy and Generosity - To help His followers understand what the kingdom of heaven is like and the dangers of comparison obsession, Jesus told a parable about a landowner who hired workers to tend his vineyard....read more
- On the Fringe - Who sits alone at church that you can befriend?...read more
- Taming Anger - Think back to a time when you lashed out in anger, or when someone lashed out at you....read more
- Full of Joy - How can you tap into God’s joy more fully?...read more
- Mistaken vs. Hard Hearts - How have you experienced a hard heart toward God in your relationship with Him?...read more
- The Narrow Door - How can salvation be a free gift simply received and yet still require our response?...read more
- Last Dance - How can you focus on thoughts that are lovely and admirable today?...read more
- Free to Forgive - How has God’s forgiveness changed your heart?...read more
- Friendly Wounds - What does it mean to “speak the truth in love”?...read more
- Hope Awakening - Do you tend to see the glass as half empty or half full?...read more