Sacrificial LoveWhat does it mean for you to carry your cross?
Top Christian Music Videos
Joseph, her fiancé, was a good man and did not want to disgrace her publicly, so he decided to break the engagement quietly (v.19).
The opening line of the 1984 song “Holding Out for a Hero” asks, “Where have all the good men gone?” That’s a fair question in a world that has seen more than its share of passive or violent males. Fortunately, “good men” are not as rare as some think. Consider Joseph, the husband of Mary and stepfather of Jesus. What he did after learning that his bride-to-be was pregnant was truly admirable.
At first, Joseph didn’t buy Mary’s explanation. I can’t blame him. Being told that your virgin fiancée was pregnant with God’s child would be enough to stun anyone. After hearing Mary’s explanation, I can imagine Joseph thinking, Come on, Mary. Is that the best you can do?
Even though Joseph had his doubts, the Bible tells us he was a “good man.” He could have made a huge scene and publicly disgraced Mary. But instead of thinking only of himself, his initial thought was to protect her by divorcing her “quietly” (Matthew 1:19).
While Joseph was thinking things over, an angel told him in a dream that Mary’s story, as far-fetched as it sounded, was true. The baby in her womb was truly the promised Savior of the world (vv.20-21)! And again, at great risk to his own reputation, Joseph intervened on Mary’s behalf and married her. Keep in mind that he was the only one in town— besides Mary—who knewthat he wasn’t the father, but he was willing to take the heat for her sake (v.24).
It was a courageous and selfless move on Joseph’s part. And it shows that men are at their best when they intercede on behalf of others. Imitating the selfless Savior, Jesus, is being a true man.
Lord, may more men rise up and be a Joseph. Help them see what You’ve called them to be.
Read Proverbs 30:18 to see the type of love that made Solomon marvel.
Where is God calling you to step up for the good of someone else? Why is being selfless for the cause of Christ such a beautiful thing?
- Sacrificial Love - What does it mean for you to carry your cross?...read more
- Autograph of the Ordinary - Do you accept the truth that God is in your ordinary work?...read more
- The Gift of Love - How should you respond to such a great love?...read more
- Warm Welcome - How does warm hospitality reflect God’s loving heart?...read more
- In the Gap - What has God equipped you with to intercede for others?...read more
- Confession and Blessing - How does repentance reveal our faith and trust in Jesus?...read more
- Breaking the Mold - How are you sharing Jesus with the next generation?...read more
- Diseased Hearts - What are the implications of only God truly knowing the heart and being able to cure it?...read more
- To Make Them Better - To follow Jesus means we allow God to transform the whole of our life....read more
- Looking for Work? - Consider how God has uniquely equipped you....read more
- Out of the Blue - God intervened before we were aware of our need....read more
- Joy and Sadness - Is there sadness in your life you need to embrace?...read more
- Passion Unleashed - What gifts and talents has God given you?...read more
- Thankful for What? - How do your difficult times more clearly illustrate God’s power and redemption?...read more
- Where Desire Takes Us - What desires have you been wrestling with?...read more
- Nursing a Grudge - Why is it vital for you to bring your bitter feelings to God?...read more