The Kingdom We Long ForWhat makes you most desperate for the fullness of God’s kingdom to arrive?
Top Music Videos
No Longer Acting
Those who obey God’s Word truly show how completely they love Him. That is how we know we are living in Him (v.5).
A gifted local actor was asked to play the part of Scrooge in an adaptation of Charles Dickens’ A Christmas Carol for my friend’s church. The revised story included a scene where his crusty character broke down, confessed his sin, and received Jesus as his Savior. Each play practice, the actor struggled with the scene—for he was not a believer in Christ. On opening night, however, as he was spoke the scripted words of repentance and acceptance of God’s gift of salvation, the Holy Spirit moved in his heart and he gave his life to Jesus!
This Christmas season, I wonder how many of us are still “playing the part”—not having truly received Jesus as Savior? Sure, we might “act religious,” but our hearts are actually far from God (2 Timothy 2:5). We’ve never truly believed, and so we’ve never truly been saved (Romans 10:9).
The apostle John revealed a definite way to tell if we’ve given center stage of our life—and all that we are—to Jesus. He wrote, “We can be sure that we know Him if we obey His commandments. If someone claims, ‘I know God,’ but doesn’t obey God’s commandments, that person is a liar and is not living in the truth” (1 John 2:3).
John then lifted up the command “to love one another” (v.7), stating that “Jesus lived the truth of this commandment” (v.8). Are you living a life of love and obedience to God? Are you genuinely loving others in Him?
As John said, “Those who say they live in God should live their lives as Jesus did” (v.6). To truly follow Christ’s example, we must first know Him as Savior. Then, may our words and actions flow from a heart that reveals our obedience to Him—not acting, but truly living it.
Read Jesus’ words in John 15:5 and note how to remain in His love.
How does your life reveal to God and others that you’ve received salvation in Jesus? Why is following Him in obedience such a clear indicator of the status of our faith?
- The Kingdom We Long For - What makes you most desperate for the fullness of God’s kingdom to arrive?...read more
- Offering Refuge and Hope - How can you practically and prayerfully support refugees?...read more
- Songs Before Dawn - How will you use your voice to let the good news ring out today?...read more
- Uber Conversations - How do the Father, Son, and the Holy Spirit model a loving relationship?...read more
- Prayer on an Airplane - How can you prepare to share the hope you have in Jesus?...read more
- Adding Interest? - Is there something you’re holding back from God?...read more
- Lord of the Cosmos - What does Jesus being “Lord of the cosmos” mean for your future?...read more
- Farming Hope - What trial are you facing today?...read more
- Because of Sunday - How can you learn to imitate Jesus and His mindset as you face conflict?...read more
- Our Real and Present God - When have you grappled with questions about God’s nearness and presence?...read more
- Gift of Tears - What triggers your emotions?...read more
- Faith in the Fields - Jesus urged His disciples to tell people about Him for “the Kingdom of Heaven is near.”...read more
- Pizza and God's Presence - When do you feel most vulnerable?...read more
- Peace and Contentment - What changes could you make to better “seek the Kingdom of God above all else”?...read more
- Beauty of Diversity - Do your relationships reflect the beautiful diversity of the early church?...read more
- Starting Small - Read Philippians 1:6 and consider how God will finish the good work He started in you....read more