Everyone Has a StoryWho needs you to listen to them? Make time for them today.
Top Music Videos
Leave Room for God
Dear friends, never take revenge. Leave that to the righteous anger of God (v.19).
A TV commercial begins with a boy sitting in a play tree house, taunting a grandma and a baby because he has the family’s bag of Doritos chips, and they don’t. The grandma and the baby conspire to get their share. Cooperating with one another, the grandma slingshots the baby to grab the Doritos. It’s a funny illustration of what’s inside all of our hearts—the desire for justice. Unfortunately, our desire for justice is often illegitimate and mixed with revenge, anger, pride, and very little room for God to work.
Though Paul had been wrongfully wounded, he taught and encouraged the Roman Christians to leave room for God to avenge the wrongs done to them. These believers may have wanted to repay evil for evil, but Paul called them to a higher standard: Leave justice in God’s hands (Romans 12:19). If they did, they would not only give God room to avenge the wrongs against them, but they would also avoid harmful retaliations.
Every opportunity for personal justice becomes an opportunity for God to be just (v.14). Quoting Deuteronomy 32:35, Paul wanted them to trust that God is just and He would, in His time and in His wisdom, mete out justice (Romans 12:19). Taking it a step further, Paul encouraged these believers not only to abstain from repaying evil for evil but to bless their enemies by compassionately meeting their needs (vv.17,20).
God is just, and He demonstrates His justice in His demands for social equity, His defense of the oppressed, His vindication of the righteous, and— ultimately—in the death, resurrection, and eventual return of Jesus.
Instead of repaying evil for evil, let’s do good to our enemies and leave room for the justice of God (v.21).
Read Psalms 96:10. Why is the earth rejoicing, the sea roaring, the field exulting, and the forest singing with joy?
Why is it wrong for you to repay evil for evil? When should you fight for justice in our world, and when should you leave justice in the hands of the authorities and God?
- Everyone Has a Story - Who needs you to listen to them? Make time for them today....read more
- Gateway of Hope - How has the rough stuff of your life kept you from hoping in God?...read more
- Philip Flunked - What specific truth about God could help you with a problem you’re currently facing?...read more
- Source of All Life - Every blessing comes from God....read more
- Trapped in Sin - How can you be set free and made right with God?...read more
- Hope Beyond Discouragement - How will you point others to the Source of Hope today?...read more
- Play Your Part - How can you encourage others to fulfill their calling?...read more
- Broken Community - How do we live out holiness without becoming judgmental of others?...read more
- Giving Out Love - How has God provided for you and those you love?...read more
- Assets that Matter - How can you submit more fully to the Holy Spirit’s refining work in your life?...read more
- The Skeptic - What doubt about God is most persistent in your thoughts?...read more
- Is God Necessary? - God is hidden but present, revealing Himself more fully to those who invite Him to stay....read more
- God's Promises - How has God kept His promises to you?...read more
- Greater Meaning - How is Jesus rescuing, transforming, and giving your life greater meaning?...read more
- Time for Tea! - What situations frustrate you?...read more
- Driving for Peace - Who have you been engaged in conflict with recently?...read more