Finding RefugeWhat does it mean for God to be your true refuge?
Top Christian Music Videos
Leave Room for God
Dear friends, never take revenge. Leave that to the righteous anger of God (v.19).
A TV commercial begins with a boy sitting in a play tree house, taunting a grandma and a baby because he has the family’s bag of Doritos chips, and they don’t. The grandma and the baby conspire to get their share. Cooperating with one another, the grandma slingshots the baby to grab the Doritos. It’s a funny illustration of what’s inside all of our hearts—the desire for justice. Unfortunately, our desire for justice is often illegitimate and mixed with revenge, anger, pride, and very little room for God to work.
Though Paul had been wrongfully wounded, he taught and encouraged the Roman Christians to leave room for God to avenge the wrongs done to them. These believers may have wanted to repay evil for evil, but Paul called them to a higher standard: Leave justice in God’s hands (Romans 12:19). If they did, they would not only give God room to avenge the wrongs against them, but they would also avoid harmful retaliations.
Every opportunity for personal justice becomes an opportunity for God to be just (v.14). Quoting Deuteronomy 32:35, Paul wanted them to trust that God is just and He would, in His time and in His wisdom, mete out justice (Romans 12:19). Taking it a step further, Paul encouraged these believers not only to abstain from repaying evil for evil but to bless their enemies by compassionately meeting their needs (vv.17,20).
God is just, and He demonstrates His justice in His demands for social equity, His defense of the oppressed, His vindication of the righteous, and— ultimately—in the death, resurrection, and eventual return of Jesus.
Instead of repaying evil for evil, let’s do good to our enemies and leave room for the justice of God (v.21).
Read Psalms 96:10. Why is the earth rejoicing, the sea roaring, the field exulting, and the forest singing with joy?
Why is it wrong for you to repay evil for evil? When should you fight for justice in our world, and when should you leave justice in the hands of the authorities and God?
- Finding Refuge - What does it mean for God to be your true refuge?...read more
- Why Pray? - What do you need to ask God for today?...read more
- Love and Adoption - What does it mean to you to be adopted by your heavenly Father?...read more
- Worship and Service - Why is it so vital for you to worship God with all you are?...read more
- Holy Desperation - Do you have a personal relationship with Jesus?...read more
- Insisting on Joy - What would it look like for you to insist on joy this week?...read more
- Hot Water - Where in your spiritual life have you become complacent?...read more
- Remade - Do any areas of your life need to be remade?...read more
- God’s Renewing Presence - What can you do to experience God’s renewing presence today?...read more
- Enduring Hope - Have you lost hope and become disillusioned with life?...read more
- Grasping Grace - What does God’s grace mean to you?...read more
- Clear View - How can you seek God’s wisdom and direction today?...read more
- Led by the Spirit - How do you distinguish between the leading of the Spirit and the whims and desires of your own heart?...read more
- No Longer Lost - Where have you seen God’s love and mercy in your life?...read more
- Grace that Motivates - How can we avoid the temptation to try and earn God’s approval by doing good deeds?...read more
- Two-Winged Sun - What Scriptures inspire you today?...read more