Not about FameHow has Jesus changed your life?
Top Christian Music Videos
Leave Room for God
Dear friends, never take revenge. Leave that to the righteous anger of God (v.19).
A TV commercial begins with a boy sitting in a play tree house, taunting a grandma and a baby because he has the family’s bag of Doritos chips, and they don’t. The grandma and the baby conspire to get their share. Cooperating with one another, the grandma slingshots the baby to grab the Doritos. It’s a funny illustration of what’s inside all of our hearts—the desire for justice. Unfortunately, our desire for justice is often illegitimate and mixed with revenge, anger, pride, and very little room for God to work.
Though Paul had been wrongfully wounded, he taught and encouraged the Roman Christians to leave room for God to avenge the wrongs done to them. These believers may have wanted to repay evil for evil, but Paul called them to a higher standard: Leave justice in God’s hands (Romans 12:19). If they did, they would not only give God room to avenge the wrongs against them, but they would also avoid harmful retaliations.
Every opportunity for personal justice becomes an opportunity for God to be just (v.14). Quoting Deuteronomy 32:35, Paul wanted them to trust that God is just and He would, in His time and in His wisdom, mete out justice (Romans 12:19). Taking it a step further, Paul encouraged these believers not only to abstain from repaying evil for evil but to bless their enemies by compassionately meeting their needs (vv.17,20).
God is just, and He demonstrates His justice in His demands for social equity, His defense of the oppressed, His vindication of the righteous, and— ultimately—in the death, resurrection, and eventual return of Jesus.
Instead of repaying evil for evil, let’s do good to our enemies and leave room for the justice of God (v.21).
Read Psalms 96:10. Why is the earth rejoicing, the sea roaring, the field exulting, and the forest singing with joy?
Why is it wrong for you to repay evil for evil? When should you fight for justice in our world, and when should you leave justice in the hands of the authorities and God?
- Not about Fame - How has Jesus changed your life?...read more
- Faithful and True - What experiences have shaped your understanding of what it means to be faithful?...read more
- Living Houses of Prayer - What does it mean for you to be a living house of prayer?...read more
- Test of Courage - Read Proverbs 21:30-31 to see how true success depends on God....read more
- Calling on the Air - In what ways have you called on God for direction ?...read more
- Only the Beginning - What hope has God brought you today?...read more
- Disciplined for Freedom - Praise God and display your gratitude to Him today!...read more
- What Will We Become? - What does it mean for you to be God’s masterpiece?...read more
- Taking the Hate - Which portions of the Bible trouble you the most?...read more
- Not a Distant God - Read Romans 8:31-39 to be reminded of the intimate love God has for us....read more
- A Greater Power - Read Jeremiah 31:20-25 and consider the power of God’s restoration...read more
- Anger Management - Read Matthew 5:21-22 to see what Jesus said about anger and sin....read more
- Moving Past Memories - How can experiencing God’s forgiveness for our sin help us to extend grace to others?...read more
- There is Hope - What has caused you to lose hope recently?...read more
- Transformed! - How has God’s power helped you overcome fear?...read more
- Breaking Toward Freedom - Where are you experiencing a need for freedom?...read more