The Gentle WayWhat does it look like for you to live out Jesus’ gentleness before others?
Top Christian Music Videos
Never In A Hurry
So Jesus explained, “I tell you the truth, the
Son can do nothing by Himself. He does only
what He sees the Father doing” (v.19).
Though I am always in haste, I am never in a hurry.” I wish I could make these words of John Wesley
my own. Most days for me are full, with numerous duties, deadlines, phone calls, e-mails, plans, and diary
items to act on. Many times that peace that passes understanding (Philippians 4:7) is pushed aside by busy
thoughts and knots in the stomach.
Sometimes I wonder if my problem is theological. Generally speaking, the god you worship will determine
the person you become. Yes, the true God is active. He governs every single moment of creation (Psalm 104).
His eyes scan the earth, looking to strengthen faith (2 Chronicles 16:9). Each day, He motivates His people
to carry out His work (Philippians 2:13). But our God is also the God who rested after creation (Genesis 2:1-3)
and has a season for everything (Ecclesiastes 3:1-8). If the growth of grass and the progress of history hint at
His ways, God may also be busy but He’s never rushed.
When God walked the earth in the person of Jesus, He once again pushed aside all notions of being rushed.
He refused to let the crowds dictate His pace (Mark 1:35-39). He assured us that the Father was active (John
5:17), and that He did only what He saw the Father doing (v.19). His pace was in step with His power. As
J. B. Phillips has said: “[Christ’s] task and responsibility might well have driven a man out of his mind. But He
was never in a hurry, never impressed by numbers, never a slave of the clock.
He was acting, as He said, as He observed God to act—never in a hurry.” The Almighty God may be busy, but He is never in a hurry. Given that we are to be imitators of God (Ephesians 5:1), how does your pace compare?
Take My yoke upon you. Let Me teach you,
because I am humble and gentle at heart, and
you will find rest for your souls (Matthew 11:29).
Why do you think our society struggles with
“hurry sickness”? How will you seek to do only
what the Father is doing today?
- The Gentle Way - What does it look like for you to live out Jesus’ gentleness before others?...read more
- Fireworks and Mercy - How does it make you feel to know that God understands your human frailty and has mercy on you?...read more
- Happy at You - Do you know deep down that God loves you dearly?...read more
- The Shepherd's Voice - Have you ever had an experience where you believe God spoke to you?...read more
- Fearless - How can you learn to trust God more deeply and follow Him more courageously?...read more
- Next Steps - Have you ever made a choice or taken an unwise risk that caused you pain?...read more
- Cleansing and Calling - What does it mean to follow God’s calling in your life?...read more
- Finding Refuge - What does it mean for God to be your true refuge?...read more
- Why Pray? - What do you need to ask God for today?...read more
- Love and Adoption - What does it mean to you to be adopted by your heavenly Father?...read more
- Worship and Service - Why is it so vital for you to worship God with all you are?...read more
- Holy Desperation - Do you have a personal relationship with Jesus?...read more
- Insisting on Joy - What would it look like for you to insist on joy this week?...read more
- Hot Water - Where in your spiritual life have you become complacent?...read more
- Remade - Do any areas of your life need to be remade?...read more
- God’s Renewing Presence - What can you do to experience God’s renewing presence today?...read more