Love in ActionHow can you show Christ’s love to someone in need with both your words and your actions?
Top Christian Music Videos
Never In A Hurry
So Jesus explained, “I tell you the truth, the
Son can do nothing by Himself. He does only
what He sees the Father doing” (v.19).
Though I am always in haste, I am never in a hurry.” I wish I could make these words of John Wesley
my own. Most days for me are full, with numerous duties, deadlines, phone calls, e-mails, plans, and diary
items to act on. Many times that peace that passes understanding (Philippians 4:7) is pushed aside by busy
thoughts and knots in the stomach.
Sometimes I wonder if my problem is theological. Generally speaking, the god you worship will determine
the person you become. Yes, the true God is active. He governs every single moment of creation (Psalm 104).
His eyes scan the earth, looking to strengthen faith (2 Chronicles 16:9). Each day, He motivates His people
to carry out His work (Philippians 2:13). But our God is also the God who rested after creation (Genesis 2:1-3)
and has a season for everything (Ecclesiastes 3:1-8). If the growth of grass and the progress of history hint at
His ways, God may also be busy but He’s never rushed.
When God walked the earth in the person of Jesus, He once again pushed aside all notions of being rushed.
He refused to let the crowds dictate His pace (Mark 1:35-39). He assured us that the Father was active (John
5:17), and that He did only what He saw the Father doing (v.19). His pace was in step with His power. As
J. B. Phillips has said: “[Christ’s] task and responsibility might well have driven a man out of his mind. But He
was never in a hurry, never impressed by numbers, never a slave of the clock.
He was acting, as He said, as He observed God to act—never in a hurry.” The Almighty God may be busy, but He is never in a hurry. Given that we are to be imitators of God (Ephesians 5:1), how does your pace compare?
Take My yoke upon you. Let Me teach you,
because I am humble and gentle at heart, and
you will find rest for your souls (Matthew 11:29).
Why do you think our society struggles with
“hurry sickness”? How will you seek to do only
what the Father is doing today?
- Love in Action - How can you show Christ’s love to someone in need with both your words and your actions?...read more
- Generous Hearts - Have you ever been the recipient of someone else’s generosity?...read more
- Persecuted but Growing - Have you ever seen God use something negative or discouraging to accomplish something amazing?...read more
- Autumn Moments - What season of life are you in right now?...read more
- Where Love Flourishes - How does the love of a man and woman united in Christ reflect the love God has for us?...read more
- You're Needed - How are you serving the body of Christ?...read more
- Not Coming Back - How does Jesus’ sacrificial example inspire you today?...read more
- Everything Matters - In God’s vision for the world, everything matters....read more
- Valid! - Our value comes from God in whose image we all have been created....read more
- Cupcake Face - Do you have a sin in your life you’ve been trying to hide from God?...read more
- Four Views - Have you ever wished that the Bible was written differently or in a way that was easier for you to understand?...read more
- Perfect Peace - Are you living out God’s “perfect peace”?...read more
- Cherished Possessions - Do you share the same love, empathy, and care for sinners?...read more
- Is This Heaven? - What do you think about heaven and earth?...read more
- Another View - How can the suffering of another person be used by God to help others grow in Him?...read more
- Good Company - How do you choose the company that you keep?...read more