What's ImportantHow has God been training you lately?
Top Christian Music Videos
Never In A Hurry
So Jesus explained, “I tell you the truth, the
Son can do nothing by Himself. He does only
what He sees the Father doing” (v.19).
Though I am always in haste, I am never in a hurry.” I wish I could make these words of John Wesley
my own. Most days for me are full, with numerous duties, deadlines, phone calls, e-mails, plans, and diary
items to act on. Many times that peace that passes understanding (Philippians 4:7) is pushed aside by busy
thoughts and knots in the stomach.
Sometimes I wonder if my problem is theological. Generally speaking, the god you worship will determine
the person you become. Yes, the true God is active. He governs every single moment of creation (Psalm 104).
His eyes scan the earth, looking to strengthen faith (2 Chronicles 16:9). Each day, He motivates His people
to carry out His work (Philippians 2:13). But our God is also the God who rested after creation (Genesis 2:1-3)
and has a season for everything (Ecclesiastes 3:1-8). If the growth of grass and the progress of history hint at
His ways, God may also be busy but He’s never rushed.
When God walked the earth in the person of Jesus, He once again pushed aside all notions of being rushed.
He refused to let the crowds dictate His pace (Mark 1:35-39). He assured us that the Father was active (John
5:17), and that He did only what He saw the Father doing (v.19). His pace was in step with His power. As
J. B. Phillips has said: “[Christ’s] task and responsibility might well have driven a man out of his mind. But He
was never in a hurry, never impressed by numbers, never a slave of the clock.
He was acting, as He said, as He observed God to act—never in a hurry.” The Almighty God may be busy, but He is never in a hurry. Given that we are to be imitators of God (Ephesians 5:1), how does your pace compare?
Take My yoke upon you. Let Me teach you,
because I am humble and gentle at heart, and
you will find rest for your souls (Matthew 11:29).
Why do you think our society struggles with
“hurry sickness”? How will you seek to do only
what the Father is doing today?
- What's Important - How has God been training you lately?...read more
- Choosing to Forget - What painful memory is holding you back from peace with God?...read more
- Not about Fame - How has Jesus changed your life?...read more
- Faithful and True - What experiences have shaped your understanding of what it means to be faithful?...read more
- Living Houses of Prayer - What does it mean for you to be a living house of prayer?...read more
- Test of Courage - Read Proverbs 21:30-31 to see how true success depends on God....read more
- Calling on the Air - In what ways have you called on God for direction ?...read more
- Only the Beginning - What hope has God brought you today?...read more
- Disciplined for Freedom - Praise God and display your gratitude to Him today!...read more
- What Will We Become? - What does it mean for you to be God’s masterpiece?...read more
- Taking the Hate - Which portions of the Bible trouble you the most?...read more
- Not a Distant God - Read Romans 8:31-39 to be reminded of the intimate love God has for us....read more
- A Greater Power - Read Jeremiah 31:20-25 and consider the power of God’s restoration...read more
- Anger Management - Read Matthew 5:21-22 to see what Jesus said about anger and sin....read more
- Moving Past Memories - How can experiencing God’s forgiveness for our sin help us to extend grace to others?...read more
- There is Hope - What has caused you to lose hope recently?...read more