Powerful PatienceHow can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?
Top Music Videos
I want you to know, dear brothers and sisters, that I planned many times
to visit you, but I was prevented until now (v.13).
As a fisherman on Lake Michigan (one of the
world’s largest freshwater lakes), I’ve had to
change my plans on many occasions. Stormy
weather or high waves have forced me to resort to a
Plan B: either canceling the trip or limiting my fishing to
the safer waters of a harbor or smaller inland lake. It’s
not the end of the world, but it’s not ideal.
In his letter to the Christians in Rome, Paul mentioned
that he had planned many times to visit them (Romans
1:13). For many years, Plan A was to travel to Rome
and remind the Christians who lived there of all that’s
involved in the good news of Jesus. Again and again,
however, other circumstances and ministry objectives
prevented him from making the trip (15:22). So Paul
eventually resorted to Plan B—he wrote a letter and
shared what he initially wanted to present in person.
That letter is what we know today as the New
Testament book of Romans.
When Paul finally sat down to write his letter, he may
have been tempted to think he was settling for Plan B.
He likely wasn’t aware that he was about to pen a letter
that would change the world.
One of the more fascinating subplots surrounding the
book of Romans is that if Paul had gone with Plan A,
we would not have one of the richest books in the New
Sometimes our plans fall through and we have to go with a Plan B. And, yes,
it can be inconvenient and frustrating at times. But try to keep in mind that God
knows the bigger picture. Like Paul and the book of Romans, what may seem
like Plan B to us has really been God’s Plan A.
It was quite an adventure, but Acts 27–28 records how Paul eventually
arrived in Rome.
What Plan B are you aware of that God turned into a true blessing? Why
is it vital that we seek God’s way instead of forcing our own?
- Powerful Patience - How can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?...read more
- Overwhelmed - What has sunk your spirits today?...read more
- Greater - How does the knowledge that God is greater than our storms impact the way you feel?...read more
- Voice of Reason - How do you respond to the rage of others?...read more
- Source of Truth - What does Scripture reveal about the issues on your mind today?...read more
- Little Things - Do you measure yourself and others according to God’s standards or the world’s?...read more
- Jesus the Reconciler - What does it add to your understanding of the cross to recognize that Jesus was enacting your reconciliation with God?...read more
- Tasting Heaven - How can you echo God’s future banquet by inviting diverse guests to your dinner parties?...read more
- Possible - What does it mean for you to know that Jesus is your Shepherd?...read more
- "Follow Me!" - Why are you following Jesus?...read more
- Here’s Hope - Why do we sometimes keep our struggles to ourselves?...read more
- Is Jesus Enough? - How do you react when you see injustice in the world, or when circumstances are against you and God seems to be silent?...read more
- Greater Work - What life experience has most challenged your understanding of prayer?...read more
- Awe - Where and when do you find yourself most in awe of God?...read more
- Purpose - How does the apostle Paul’s life demonstrate God’s “purpose” to you?...read more
- Broken Down & Built Up - What might God be accomplishing in your life through a recent difficult experience?...read more