Seasons of GriefAre you going through a season of grief where you are struggling to grieve?
Top Music Videos
I want you to know, dear brothers and sisters, that I planned many times
to visit you, but I was prevented until now (v.13).
As a fisherman on Lake Michigan (one of the
world’s largest freshwater lakes), I’ve had to
change my plans on many occasions. Stormy
weather or high waves have forced me to resort to a
Plan B: either canceling the trip or limiting my fishing to
the safer waters of a harbor or smaller inland lake. It’s
not the end of the world, but it’s not ideal.
In his letter to the Christians in Rome, Paul mentioned
that he had planned many times to visit them (Romans
1:13). For many years, Plan A was to travel to Rome
and remind the Christians who lived there of all that’s
involved in the good news of Jesus. Again and again,
however, other circumstances and ministry objectives
prevented him from making the trip (15:22). So Paul
eventually resorted to Plan B—he wrote a letter and
shared what he initially wanted to present in person.
That letter is what we know today as the New
Testament book of Romans.
When Paul finally sat down to write his letter, he may
have been tempted to think he was settling for Plan B.
He likely wasn’t aware that he was about to pen a letter
that would change the world.
One of the more fascinating subplots surrounding the
book of Romans is that if Paul had gone with Plan A,
we would not have one of the richest books in the New
Sometimes our plans fall through and we have to go with a Plan B. And, yes,
it can be inconvenient and frustrating at times. But try to keep in mind that God
knows the bigger picture. Like Paul and the book of Romans, what may seem
like Plan B to us has really been God’s Plan A.
It was quite an adventure, but Acts 27–28 records how Paul eventually
arrived in Rome.
What Plan B are you aware of that God turned into a true blessing? Why
is it vital that we seek God’s way instead of forcing our own?
- Seasons of Grief - Are you going through a season of grief where you are struggling to grieve?...read more
- John's Question - What steps can you take to seek God’s perspective in a current challenging situation?...read more
- Victory - What battles are you facing these days?...read more
- Starting Over - Have you experienced a fresh start in Jesus?...read more
- Genuine Love - How have you experienced the reality of God’s love?...read more
- Straight Up - Is there a current situation in your life where you’ve been less than honest?...read more
- He Saw Something - Have you seen something so true that you would be willing to live or die for it?...read more
- Higher Law, Higher Love - What choice of conscience faces you today?...read more
- Stay or Run Away - How might God want you to display His glory in your life?...read more
- Jealousy and Generosity - To help His followers understand what the kingdom of heaven is like and the dangers of comparison obsession, Jesus told a parable about a landowner who hired workers to tend his vineyard....read more
- On the Fringe - Who sits alone at church that you can befriend?...read more
- Taming Anger - Think back to a time when you lashed out in anger, or when someone lashed out at you....read more
- Full of Joy - How can you tap into God’s joy more fully?...read more
- Mistaken vs. Hard Hearts - How have you experienced a hard heart toward God in your relationship with Him?...read more
- The Narrow Door - How can salvation be a free gift simply received and yet still require our response?...read more
- Last Dance - How can you focus on thoughts that are lovely and admirable today?...read more