Laying Down Our LivesWhat sometimes holds you back from laying down your life for others?
Top Christian Music Videos
The Brilliant Face of God
Jesus’ appearance was transformed, and His clothes became dazzling white (vv.2-3).
The Incan Empire had practices that make us recoil. One was child sacrifice. Each year, certain families would surrender their child. They would celebrate their child and then give her corn alcohol to dull her fear. Then they would carry her up a mountain and knock her unconscious so that she wouldn’t feel pain. The child was then left to die of exposure. It would be wrong to surmise that these families de-valued children. Quite the opposite, this was a grave decision for the parents. They simply felt that their gods demanded this action.
One’s vision of God really does make a difference. If you think God is supposed to be angry and spiteful, you won’t have the courage to come to Him with the openness of a child. If you think God is supposed to be distant and uninterested, you probably won’t come to God at all. But Scripture tells us that if we want to know what God is like, we must begin by listening to Jesus.
This truth is illustrated in Jesus’ transfiguration, when Peter, James, John, and Jesus climbed a hill. Suddenly, Jesus’ clothes changed to “dazzling white, far whiter than any earthly bleach could ever make them” (Mark 9:3). The disciples watched, stunned, as “Elijah and Moses appeared and began talking with Jesus” (v.4).
Not knowing what to say (but apparently feeling the urge to say something), Peter blurted out that they should build three shelters, one for Jesus and one for each of the two patriarchs (v.5). Immediately, the sky darkened and God’s voice boomed from the clouds: “This is My dearly loved Son. Listen to Him” (v.7). Before Elijah, before Moses, listen to Jesus.
In Jesus, we know that God is just and compassionate, willing to lay down His own life for us. Jesus Christ, shining in brilliant love, is our best picture of God.
Read 2 Corinthians 4:3. What’s happening if we’re unable to see the good news God offers in Jesus Christ? Read verses 4 and 6 again. How does Jesus show us who God is and what He is like?
What are some of your biggest fears or doubts about God’s love or goodness? How does Jesus’ example help you deal with your concerns?
- Laying Down Our Lives - What sometimes holds you back from laying down your life for others?...read more
- A Little Farther - Do you hear much about lament in your local church?...read more
- Distraction - What’s your biggest distraction as you strive to follow Jesus?...read more
- Intentional Defiance - Be encouraged by a God who is with you to discipline and lead you away from wrong turns....read more
- The Family Name - How do you show appreciation for the reconciliation God has offered?...read more
- Unwavering Love - What does it mean for you to rest in God’s unwavering love?...read more
- Far Better - What are you most looking forward to when God calls you home?...read more
- A Good Name - When you consider your reputation, what might you change to better reflect Jesus to others?...read more
- Light the Path - How have others illumined the path for you to Jesus?...read more
- More Than Feelings - God created us to live in the fullness of His image—emotions included....read more
- Of Penguins and People - Who needs your committed, enduring love today?...read more
- Big and Small - What do you do with your worries?...read more
- A Way Out - Do you have a tendency to overestimate or underestimate?...read more
- Extravagant Love - When have you encountered God’s extravagant love?...read more
- Income vs. Investment - How will you be “rich in good works” today?...read more
- Famous in God’s Eyes - Who needs you to humbly, lovingly serve them today?...read more