Laying Our Lives DownHow has Jesus’ example inspired you to freely give of yourself?
Top Music Videos
The Brilliant Face of God
Jesus’ appearance was transformed, and His clothes became dazzling white (vv.2-3).
The Incan Empire had practices that make us recoil. One was child sacrifice. Each year, certain families would surrender their child. They would celebrate their child and then give her corn alcohol to dull her fear. Then they would carry her up a mountain and knock her unconscious so that she wouldn’t feel pain. The child was then left to die of exposure. It would be wrong to surmise that these families de-valued children. Quite the opposite, this was a grave decision for the parents. They simply felt that their gods demanded this action.
One’s vision of God really does make a difference. If you think God is supposed to be angry and spiteful, you won’t have the courage to come to Him with the openness of a child. If you think God is supposed to be distant and uninterested, you probably won’t come to God at all. But Scripture tells us that if we want to know what God is like, we must begin by listening to Jesus.
This truth is illustrated in Jesus’ transfiguration, when Peter, James, John, and Jesus climbed a hill. Suddenly, Jesus’ clothes changed to “dazzling white, far whiter than any earthly bleach could ever make them” (Mark 9:3). The disciples watched, stunned, as “Elijah and Moses appeared and began talking with Jesus” (v.4).
Not knowing what to say (but apparently feeling the urge to say something), Peter blurted out that they should build three shelters, one for Jesus and one for each of the two patriarchs (v.5). Immediately, the sky darkened and God’s voice boomed from the clouds: “This is My dearly loved Son. Listen to Him” (v.7). Before Elijah, before Moses, listen to Jesus.
In Jesus, we know that God is just and compassionate, willing to lay down His own life for us. Jesus Christ, shining in brilliant love, is our best picture of God.
Read 2 Corinthians 4:3. What’s happening if we’re unable to see the good news God offers in Jesus Christ? Read verses 4 and 6 again. How does Jesus show us who God is and what He is like?
What are some of your biggest fears or doubts about God’s love or goodness? How does Jesus’ example help you deal with your concerns?
- Laying Our Lives Down - How has Jesus’ example inspired you to freely give of yourself?...read more
- "Brutiful" - How has God worked in “brutiful” ways in your life?...read more
- The First Day—Again - How does Jesus’ resurrection infuse you with fresh hope?...read more
- Clueless at the Light - What would others say about my influence on them?...read more
- Stinging Words - How have you experienced emotional or spiritual captivity?...read more
- Everyone Has a Story - Who needs you to listen to them? Make time for them today....read more
- Gateway of Hope - How has the rough stuff of your life kept you from hoping in God?...read more
- Philip Flunked - What specific truth about God could help you with a problem you’re currently facing?...read more
- Source of All Life - Every blessing comes from God....read more
- Trapped in Sin - How can you be set free and made right with God?...read more
- Hope Beyond Discouragement - How will you point others to the Source of Hope today?...read more
- Play Your Part - How can you encourage others to fulfill their calling?...read more
- Broken Community - How do we live out holiness without becoming judgmental of others?...read more
- Giving Out Love - How has God provided for you and those you love?...read more
- Assets that Matter - How can you submit more fully to the Holy Spirit’s refining work in your life?...read more
- The Skeptic - What doubt about God is most persistent in your thoughts?...read more