After 35What does it mean for you to rely on God in all things?
Top Music Videos
Each morning I bring my requests to You and
wait expectantly (v.3).
We have some friends, a young married couple, living with us. Finished with one part
of their university studies, they’ve applied to a variety of graduate schools to continue their
coursework. But they have no idea where they will end up. The possibilities are all over the map—from Boston
to Vancouver to Pittsburgh to Atlanta. They’ve filled out many applications and requested numerous grants.
There have also been interviews and carefully considered options as they’ve considered their future every which way. Now, all they can do is pray—and wait for the day when the postman brings news of what their future holds.
Psalm 5 begins with a straightforward request: “O Lord, hear me as I pray; pay attention to my groaning”
(v.1). The psalmist, King David, was in a gloomy place. We don’t know his situation, but David was experiencing some measure of loss, sorrow, or torment. He was in pain, “groaning.” And in his difficult place, David wanted God to hear his agony. He needed God to listen to his “cry for help” (v.2).
David didn’t run to his advisors or his wife or the many wise sages of his court for aid. None of them could
help him. He didn’t roll up his sleeves and pore over documents, figuring out some solution to his predicament.
David knew he couldn’t help himself. He went directly to the only One who could meet him in his darkness. “I pray to no one but You,” David said (v.2). David waited, watching for God.
David’s only work was to not work. He decided to bring his heart and his hope to God and then to “wait expectantly” (v.3). The Message puts it this way: “Every morning I lay out the pieces of my life on your altar and watch for fire to descend.” —Winn Collier
Come quickly to help me, O Lord my Savior
When have you tried to no avail to make something happen? In what specific ways do you need to wait for
- After 35 - What does it mean for you to rely on God in all things?...read more
- The Failure Wall - In what ways do you need to be prepared for encounters with spiritual enemies?...read more
- Worship 101 - What can you praise God for today?...read more
- Distance - What expectations do you have of fellow church members when it comes to meeting your needs?...read more
- Sarcasm and Sincerity - Do your words provide a safe environment for others?...read more
- Empty Spaces - What’s taking up space in your heart?...read more
- Showing the Way - How prepared are you to share your faith with others?...read more
- New Address? - Where’s the line between worrying and simply pondering a decision?...read more
- Real Stewardship - How are you using your gifts and talents to bring God to others?...read more
- Korah’s Redemption - How has God revealed His redeeming ways to you?...read more
- Stuff We Need - How can you give lavishly to God and others today?...read more
- Rising Above - What difficulties have caused you to experience distress recently?...read more
- God Our Restorer - Are you in need of God’s restorative power today?...read more
- You're Called - Are you dissatisfied with your present calling?...read more
- The Art of Joy - What has hindered you from experiencing joy this week?...read more
- What a Friend! - What does it mean to you to have a friend in Jesus?...read more