Autograph of the OrdinaryDo you accept the truth that God is in your ordinary work?
Top Christian Music Videos
Are you the Prophet we are expecting? (v.21).
I was pushing my daughter’s pink stroller up and down the aisles of an auto-parts store when my toddler excitedly began pointing straight ahead at a fellow customer who looked just like the pictures of Jesus in her illustrated Bible. She called out to the man, using the Lord’s name. Despite her innocence and joy, the man appeared to be irked by my daughter’s mistake about his identity.
Jesus’ identity was deeply interesting to the Jewish leaders of His day. They were so eager to get a positive ID that they sent some temple workers to visit John the Baptist and to scope out the situation. The go-betweens pelted him with questions, perhaps the most important being, “Are you the Prophet we are expecting?” (John 1:21).
Of course, John set them straight by quoting the prophet Isaiah: “I am a voice shouting . . . ‘Clear the way for the Lord’s coming’” (v.23). In other words, I’m not the guy you’re looking for. They questioned him further, and he said of Jesus: “I’m not even worthy to . . . untie the straps of His sandal” (v.27).
Despite this, John himself had questions about Jesus’ identity. He knew a lot about his Lord (vv.15-18), but he couldn’t recognize Jesus as the Messiah (v.31). When the Holy Spirit descended and rested on Jesus (vv.33-34), John finally identified the hands that would bear nail scars, the eyes that would weep for Lazarus, and the body that would be crucified. As a witness for Jesus, John pointed others to the person of Christ.
Today, we’re Jesus’ witnesses or—as Paul put it—“ambassadors” for Christ (2 Corinthians 2:20). So, are we helping people to look past popular—yet incorrect—ideas about who Jesus is? Do our lives proclaim His grace, power, and love? Are we doing all we can to help other people recognize Him?
—Jennifer Benson Schuldt
What’s at stake when people are unclear about who Jesus really is? How can a person’s lifestyle reflect the truth about Christ?
- Autograph of the Ordinary - Do you accept the truth that God is in your ordinary work?...read more
- The Gift of Love - How should you respond to such a great love?...read more
- Warm Welcome - How does warm hospitality reflect God’s loving heart?...read more
- In the Gap - What has God equipped you with to intercede for others?...read more
- Confession and Blessing - How does repentance reveal our faith and trust in Jesus?...read more
- Breaking the Mold - How are you sharing Jesus with the next generation?...read more
- Diseased Hearts - What are the implications of only God truly knowing the heart and being able to cure it?...read more
- To Make Them Better - To follow Jesus means we allow God to transform the whole of our life....read more
- Looking for Work? - Consider how God has uniquely equipped you....read more
- Out of the Blue - God intervened before we were aware of our need....read more
- Joy and Sadness - Is there sadness in your life you need to embrace?...read more
- Passion Unleashed - What gifts and talents has God given you?...read more
- Thankful for What? - How do your difficult times more clearly illustrate God’s power and redemption?...read more
- Where Desire Takes Us - What desires have you been wrestling with?...read more
- Nursing a Grudge - Why is it vital for you to bring your bitter feelings to God?...read more
- A New Person - What regret do you need to give to Jesus?...read more