Rejoicing in Deep NeedWhat happens when you choose to rejoice in God even when you’re in deep need?
Top Christian Music Videos
Are you the Prophet we are expecting? (v.21).
I was pushing my daughter’s pink stroller up and down the aisles of an auto-parts store when my toddler excitedly began pointing straight ahead at a fellow customer who looked just like the pictures of Jesus in her illustrated Bible. She called out to the man, using the Lord’s name. Despite her innocence and joy, the man appeared to be irked by my daughter’s mistake about his identity.
Jesus’ identity was deeply interesting to the Jewish leaders of His day. They were so eager to get a positive ID that they sent some temple workers to visit John the Baptist and to scope out the situation. The go-betweens pelted him with questions, perhaps the most important being, “Are you the Prophet we are expecting?” (John 1:21).
Of course, John set them straight by quoting the prophet Isaiah: “I am a voice shouting . . . ‘Clear the way for the Lord’s coming’” (v.23). In other words, I’m not the guy you’re looking for. They questioned him further, and he said of Jesus: “I’m not even worthy to . . . untie the straps of His sandal” (v.27).
Despite this, John himself had questions about Jesus’ identity. He knew a lot about his Lord (vv.15-18), but he couldn’t recognize Jesus as the Messiah (v.31). When the Holy Spirit descended and rested on Jesus (vv.33-34), John finally identified the hands that would bear nail scars, the eyes that would weep for Lazarus, and the body that would be crucified. As a witness for Jesus, John pointed others to the person of Christ.
Today, we’re Jesus’ witnesses or—as Paul put it—“ambassadors” for Christ (2 Corinthians 2:20). So, are we helping people to look past popular—yet incorrect—ideas about who Jesus is? Do our lives proclaim His grace, power, and love? Are we doing all we can to help other people recognize Him?
—Jennifer Benson Schuldt
What’s at stake when people are unclear about who Jesus really is? How can a person’s lifestyle reflect the truth about Christ?
- Rejoicing in Deep Need - What happens when you choose to rejoice in God even when you’re in deep need?...read more
- Staying True - Our ability to stand in the midst of trials will depend on the focus of our gaze....read more
- Write Your Epitaph - How are you growing in your faith and the proclaiming of it?...read more
- What Happens in the End - Are you feeling hopeless and weary? Be reminded of what happens in the end!...read more
- Stop Painting Your Bucket - Who you are is who you are in Jesus....read more
- What We Have - When do you feel most grateful?...read more
- God's Perspective - What has God called you to do that might appear to be too challenging?...read more
- More than Walking on Water - Do you ever find yourself focusing more on what God can do than on who He is?...read more
- The Spirit’s Wind - In what areas of your life have you been laboring in your own strength instead of God’s power?...read more
- Laying Down Your Life - What does it mean for you to embrace Jesus as the One who laid down His life for you?...read more
- Hidden Costs - What are some ways you can avoid falling prey to Satan’s hidden costs this week?...read more
- Limits - How often are you weary or stressed from church work?...read more
- Healing Prayer - Why is it important for us to bring our pain and suffering to God?...read more
- Pleasing God in the Mundane - Do you sometimes feel drained by serving God and others?...read more
- Avoiding Mean Streets - In what ways have you been entering deeper into God’s wisdom or moving farther away from it?...read more
- The Presence of Jesus - What past or current sinful choice has caused you to experience shame?...read more