Subscribe to God’s HelpWhat temptations are you battling?
Top Music Videos
The shepherds went back to their flocks, glorifying and praising God for
all they had heard and seen. It was just as the angel had told them
Having read The Best Christmas Pageant Ever in
her class, my daughter decided to re-enact Jesus’
birth. Casting herself as an angel—complete
with wings, dress, and sparkling shoes—she made
her brother, her lone recruit, a shepherd. Firstborn to
the core, she gave Micah his directions and began
reciting her lines with passion. Micah, however, was
a little distracted. More sheep than shepherd, he bent
down and began playing with the lights on her princess
shoes. Kicking away his 4 year old fingers, she sternly
whispered, “Micah! Stop it!” and then, resuming her
angelic expression, she finished her lines.
The hustle and bustle surrounding Christmas can often
distract us from the real meaning of the celebration. We
can forget to focus on Jesus as we become sidetracked with
the trappings of this world. Our attention becomes fixed on
everything but the heart of the story (Matthew 1:23).
I enjoy pondering what it might have been like to quietly
observe the shepherds just moments before the angels’
arrival. What sounds carried across the night air? Were
the shepherds thinking in silence, exchanging stories of
days gone by, or drifting into a restful lull? Was the air
heavy and still or crisp with a light wind?
The hope for humanity changed that night, and
heaven rejoiced with the reality. Redemption had come!
Like a seamless performance, we want everyone to say their lines and
follow our directions—even God. We wrongfully equate redemption with
everything looking right (Isaiah 53:3). The beauty of Jesus’ birth, however,
shines brightly due to the greater beauty of His death (Ephesians 1:7).
There is no one scene that stands alone in our lives; rather, they all fit together
in the greater story of God’s redemptive work.
Read Psalms 130:7. What did the psalmist reveal about God and
the redemption He provided through Jesus?
What happens when we see our faith as a performance rather than
a revelation of God’s hand? In what ways has God redeemed your
- Subscribe to God’s Help - What temptations are you battling?...read more
- Taking on Too Much - What are you trying to take on that only God can do...read more
- Representing Jesus - In what practical ways can you effectively represent Christ?...read more
- Myth No More - Why must God judge His enemies and make things right?...read more
- Hidden Sins - How have you been trying to deal with your sin?...read more
- The Kingdom We Long For - What makes you most desperate for the fullness of God’s kingdom to arrive?...read more
- Offering Refuge and Hope - How can you practically and prayerfully support refugees?...read more
- Songs Before Dawn - How will you use your voice to let the good news ring out today?...read more
- Uber Conversations - How do the Father, Son, and the Holy Spirit model a loving relationship?...read more
- Prayer on an Airplane - How can you prepare to share the hope you have in Jesus?...read more
- Adding Interest? - Is there something you’re holding back from God?...read more
- Lord of the Cosmos - What does Jesus being “Lord of the cosmos” mean for your future?...read more
- Farming Hope - What trial are you facing today?...read more
- Because of Sunday - How can you learn to imitate Jesus and His mindset as you face conflict?...read more
- Our Real and Present God - When have you grappled with questions about God’s nearness and presence?...read more
- Gift of Tears - What triggers your emotions?...read more