After 35What does it mean for you to rely on God in all things?
Top Music Videos
Love & Magic
When an atheist online reader of ODJ submitted
a comment that called religion “anti-science”
and Christianity “magic,” a fascinating online
dialog ensued. I thought of the books authored by brilliant
minds—articulating a reasoned and logical case for belief
in God. I pondered the complexity of the human eye, the
intricate design of a giraffe’s neck, and the oddity of the
duckbilled platypus. I considered how the laws of nature
irresistibly infer a Lawgiver. And, I thought of several
scathing and unhelpful ways I could have responded to
the God-denier. Thankfully, I refrained.
The exchange brought to mind two nearly identical
Psalms 14:1 and Psalms 53:1. Psalm 14:1 says, “Only fools say
in their hearts, ‘There is no God.’ They are corrupt, and
their actions are evil; not one of them does good!”
But those Psalms don’t indict only those who deny God.
“The Lord looks down from heaven on the entire human
race” (14:2). The conclusion: “All have turned away; all
have become corrupt. No one does good, not a single
That’s emphatically inclusive language! “Not a single
one” includes you and me!
“Everyone has sinned,” Paul asserts. “We all fall short
of God’s glorious standard” (Romans 3:23). Thankfully,
there’s more. “Yet God, with undeserved kindness,
declares that we are righteous,” Paul adds. “He did this
through Christ Jesus when He freed us from the penalty for our sins” (v.24).
We have no right to despise those who choose not to believe in God. Rather,
in love, we can thank God, who “chose us in Christ to be holy and without fault
in His eyes” (Ephesians 1:4).
It isn’t magic to believe in the One who established the laws of science. It’s
love for our heavenly Father.
How do you react to people who hate God? What attitude do you
picture Jesus having toward them?
- After 35 - What does it mean for you to rely on God in all things?...read more
- The Failure Wall - In what ways do you need to be prepared for encounters with spiritual enemies?...read more
- Worship 101 - What can you praise God for today?...read more
- Distance - What expectations do you have of fellow church members when it comes to meeting your needs?...read more
- Sarcasm and Sincerity - Do your words provide a safe environment for others?...read more
- Empty Spaces - What’s taking up space in your heart?...read more
- Showing the Way - How prepared are you to share your faith with others?...read more
- New Address? - Where’s the line between worrying and simply pondering a decision?...read more
- Real Stewardship - How are you using your gifts and talents to bring God to others?...read more
- Korah’s Redemption - How has God revealed His redeeming ways to you?...read more
- Stuff We Need - How can you give lavishly to God and others today?...read more
- Rising Above - What difficulties have caused you to experience distress recently?...read more
- God Our Restorer - Are you in need of God’s restorative power today?...read more
- You're Called - Are you dissatisfied with your present calling?...read more
- The Art of Joy - What has hindered you from experiencing joy this week?...read more
- What a Friend! - What does it mean to you to have a friend in Jesus?...read more