Happy Ascension DayWhat’s one way you can celebrate the ascension of Jesus Christ today?
Top Music Videos
Love & Magic
When an atheist online reader of ODJ submitted
a comment that called religion “anti-science”
and Christianity “magic,” a fascinating online
dialog ensued. I thought of the books authored by brilliant
minds—articulating a reasoned and logical case for belief
in God. I pondered the complexity of the human eye, the
intricate design of a giraffe’s neck, and the oddity of the
duckbilled platypus. I considered how the laws of nature
irresistibly infer a Lawgiver. And, I thought of several
scathing and unhelpful ways I could have responded to
the God-denier. Thankfully, I refrained.
The exchange brought to mind two nearly identical
Psalms 14:1 and Psalms 53:1. Psalm 14:1 says, “Only fools say
in their hearts, ‘There is no God.’ They are corrupt, and
their actions are evil; not one of them does good!”
But those Psalms don’t indict only those who deny God.
“The Lord looks down from heaven on the entire human
race” (14:2). The conclusion: “All have turned away; all
have become corrupt. No one does good, not a single
That’s emphatically inclusive language! “Not a single
one” includes you and me!
“Everyone has sinned,” Paul asserts. “We all fall short
of God’s glorious standard” (Romans 3:23). Thankfully,
there’s more. “Yet God, with undeserved kindness,
declares that we are righteous,” Paul adds. “He did this
through Christ Jesus when He freed us from the penalty for our sins” (v.24).
We have no right to despise those who choose not to believe in God. Rather,
in love, we can thank God, who “chose us in Christ to be holy and without fault
in His eyes” (Ephesians 1:4).
It isn’t magic to believe in the One who established the laws of science. It’s
love for our heavenly Father.
How do you react to people who hate God? What attitude do you
picture Jesus having toward them?
- Happy Ascension Day - What’s one way you can celebrate the ascension of Jesus Christ today?...read more
- Mixed Bag - Are there any blind spots in your life?...read more
- All We Need - How might you trust God for the bounty He alone can provide?...read more
- Simple Things - What simple pleasures can you rediscover with God today?...read more
- Thirsty? - How has God provided our identity and significance in Jesus?...read more
- Freedom from Stress - How can loving and obeying God help you to find the peace He has promised His children?...read more
- Portrait of Jesus - What did Jesus endure for you?...read more
- Slow Learners - What are you struggling to understand in your faith journey with Jesus?...read more
- The Same God - Why would it be wrong for God to not deal with sin in such a serious way?...read more
- In Jesus’ Love - What Scripture verses have been most encouraging to you?...read more
- Don’t Hesitate - How can you become more confident in sharing your faith?...read more
- Broken Instruments - Has anyone ever paid the cost of fixing something you’ve broken or destroyed?...read more
- True Sacrifice - How can you better remind yourself of your great wealth in Christ?...read more
- Jesus and the Junk - What are you trying to hide from God and others?...read more
- Changing Our Tune - What angers you today and why?...read more
- Blending In - What does it mean to stand for Jesus instead of blending in?...read more