If It’s Really You...Is there a difference between doubting something is true and being afraid something isn’t true?
Top Christian Music Videos
Love & Magic
When an atheist online reader of ODJ submitted
a comment that called religion “anti-science”
and Christianity “magic,” a fascinating online
dialog ensued. I thought of the books authored by brilliant
minds—articulating a reasoned and logical case for belief
in God. I pondered the complexity of the human eye, the
intricate design of a giraffe’s neck, and the oddity of the
duckbilled platypus. I considered how the laws of nature
irresistibly infer a Lawgiver. And, I thought of several
scathing and unhelpful ways I could have responded to
the God-denier. Thankfully, I refrained.
The exchange brought to mind two nearly identical
Psalms 14:1 and Psalms 53:1. Psalm 14:1 says, “Only fools say
in their hearts, ‘There is no God.’ They are corrupt, and
their actions are evil; not one of them does good!”
But those Psalms don’t indict only those who deny God.
“The Lord looks down from heaven on the entire human
race” (14:2). The conclusion: “All have turned away; all
have become corrupt. No one does good, not a single
That’s emphatically inclusive language! “Not a single
one” includes you and me!
“Everyone has sinned,” Paul asserts. “We all fall short
of God’s glorious standard” (Romans 3:23). Thankfully,
there’s more. “Yet God, with undeserved kindness,
declares that we are righteous,” Paul adds. “He did this
through Christ Jesus when He freed us from the penalty for our sins” (v.24).
We have no right to despise those who choose not to believe in God. Rather,
in love, we can thank God, who “chose us in Christ to be holy and without fault
in His eyes” (Ephesians 1:4).
It isn’t magic to believe in the One who established the laws of science. It’s
love for our heavenly Father.
How do you react to people who hate God? What attitude do you
picture Jesus having toward them?
- If It’s Really You... - Is there a difference between doubting something is true and being afraid something isn’t true?...read more
- Unbreakable - How can you use your suffering to point others to God?...read more
- Treasure that Lasts - What legacy do you want to leave behind when you die?...read more
- The Lost Virtue - In what common circumstances are you most impatient?...read more
- Right and Wrong Words - Is your tongue quick to criticize but slow to apologize?...read more
- Kindness and Hospitality - How are you using your God-given gifts to love and serve others?...read more
- Rejoicing in Deep Need - What happens when you choose to rejoice in God even when you’re in deep need?...read more
- Staying True - Our ability to stand in the midst of trials will depend on the focus of our gaze....read more
- Write Your Epitaph - How are you growing in your faith and the proclaiming of it?...read more
- What Happens in the End - Are you feeling hopeless and weary? Be reminded of what happens in the end!...read more
- Stop Painting Your Bucket - Who you are is who you are in Jesus....read more
- What We Have - When do you feel most grateful?...read more
- God's Perspective - What has God called you to do that might appear to be too challenging?...read more
- More than Walking on Water - Do you ever find yourself focusing more on what God can do than on who He is?...read more
- The Spirit’s Wind - In what areas of your life have you been laboring in your own strength instead of God’s power?...read more
- Laying Down Your Life - What does it mean for you to embrace Jesus as the One who laid down His life for you?...read more