What's ImportantHow has God been training you lately?
Top Christian Music Videos
Love & Magic
When an atheist online reader of ODJ submitted
a comment that called religion “anti-science”
and Christianity “magic,” a fascinating online
dialog ensued. I thought of the books authored by brilliant
minds—articulating a reasoned and logical case for belief
in God. I pondered the complexity of the human eye, the
intricate design of a giraffe’s neck, and the oddity of the
duckbilled platypus. I considered how the laws of nature
irresistibly infer a Lawgiver. And, I thought of several
scathing and unhelpful ways I could have responded to
the God-denier. Thankfully, I refrained.
The exchange brought to mind two nearly identical
Psalms 14:1 and Psalms 53:1. Psalm 14:1 says, “Only fools say
in their hearts, ‘There is no God.’ They are corrupt, and
their actions are evil; not one of them does good!”
But those Psalms don’t indict only those who deny God.
“The Lord looks down from heaven on the entire human
race” (14:2). The conclusion: “All have turned away; all
have become corrupt. No one does good, not a single
That’s emphatically inclusive language! “Not a single
one” includes you and me!
“Everyone has sinned,” Paul asserts. “We all fall short
of God’s glorious standard” (Romans 3:23). Thankfully,
there’s more. “Yet God, with undeserved kindness,
declares that we are righteous,” Paul adds. “He did this
through Christ Jesus when He freed us from the penalty for our sins” (v.24).
We have no right to despise those who choose not to believe in God. Rather,
in love, we can thank God, who “chose us in Christ to be holy and without fault
in His eyes” (Ephesians 1:4).
It isn’t magic to believe in the One who established the laws of science. It’s
love for our heavenly Father.
How do you react to people who hate God? What attitude do you
picture Jesus having toward them?
- What's Important - How has God been training you lately?...read more
- Choosing to Forget - What painful memory is holding you back from peace with God?...read more
- Not about Fame - How has Jesus changed your life?...read more
- Faithful and True - What experiences have shaped your understanding of what it means to be faithful?...read more
- Living Houses of Prayer - What does it mean for you to be a living house of prayer?...read more
- Test of Courage - Read Proverbs 21:30-31 to see how true success depends on God....read more
- Calling on the Air - In what ways have you called on God for direction ?...read more
- Only the Beginning - What hope has God brought you today?...read more
- Disciplined for Freedom - Praise God and display your gratitude to Him today!...read more
- What Will We Become? - What does it mean for you to be God’s masterpiece?...read more
- Taking the Hate - Which portions of the Bible trouble you the most?...read more
- Not a Distant God - Read Romans 8:31-39 to be reminded of the intimate love God has for us....read more
- A Greater Power - Read Jeremiah 31:20-25 and consider the power of God’s restoration...read more
- Anger Management - Read Matthew 5:21-22 to see what Jesus said about anger and sin....read more
- Moving Past Memories - How can experiencing God’s forgiveness for our sin help us to extend grace to others?...read more
- There is Hope - What has caused you to lose hope recently?...read more