Treasure that LastsWhat legacy do you want to leave behind when you die?
Top Christian Music Videos
The Dead Man
[Jesus] told them plainly, “Lazarus is dead” (v.14).
Thomas Lynch is an acclaimed poet and nonfiction
writer who has won the American Book Award. He’s
also an undertaker. In The Undertaking: Life Studies
from the Dismal Trade, Lynch shares stories from his
decades of helping families say goodbye to their loved
ones. The opening line of the book definitely catches
your attention: “Every year I bury a couple hundred of
Death is a grim but fascinating reality. Strange, isn’t it,
that something so common can be so mysterious? We don’t
know exactly what it’s like to be on the other side. There
haven’t been many eyewitness accounts of what post-dead
looks like. Everybody knows that when you’re dead, you
normally stay dead. . . . Unless, of course, Jesus is around.
John narrates the story of Lazarus’ death and his
sisters’ accompanying grief. After receiving news of
Lazarus’ illness, Jesus delayed His return to Bethany; and
when He did arrive, He discovered that Lazarus had
already “been in his grave for four days” (11:17). John
goes to great lengths to emphasize that Lazarus is in
every sense dead and beyond hope.
Some rabbis of the day taught that one’s soul hovered
near the body for up to three days after death. This, John
says, was the fourth day (v.17). Further, Martha protested
that Jesus not go to the burial site because “the smell
[would] be terrible” (11:39). And twice, for emphasis,
John refers to Lazarus simply as the “dead man” (vv.39,44).
Lazarus was dead, completely dead. This makes what follows all the more
incredible. Jesus walked to the grave, told them to roll away the stone, and shouted,
“Lazarus, come out!” (v.43).
Lazarus walked out. And in that moment, all who saw him knew exactly who
holds the power over death.
Read Colossians 2:10 to see what it says about God’s power over death
and our new life in Jesus.
Where do you see death in your heart, family, neighborhood, and
world? What would the infusion of Jesus’ life look like in these places?
- Treasure that Lasts - What legacy do you want to leave behind when you die?...read more
- The Lost Virtue - In what common circumstances are you most impatient?...read more
- Right and Wrong Words - Is your tongue quick to criticize but slow to apologize?...read more
- Kindness and Hospitality - How are you using your God-given gifts to love and serve others?...read more
- Rejoicing in Deep Need - What happens when you choose to rejoice in God even when you’re in deep need?...read more
- Staying True - Our ability to stand in the midst of trials will depend on the focus of our gaze....read more
- Write Your Epitaph - How are you growing in your faith and the proclaiming of it?...read more
- What Happens in the End - Are you feeling hopeless and weary? Be reminded of what happens in the end!...read more
- Stop Painting Your Bucket - Who you are is who you are in Jesus....read more
- What We Have - When do you feel most grateful?...read more
- God's Perspective - What has God called you to do that might appear to be too challenging?...read more
- More than Walking on Water - Do you ever find yourself focusing more on what God can do than on who He is?...read more
- The Spirit’s Wind - In what areas of your life have you been laboring in your own strength instead of God’s power?...read more
- Laying Down Your Life - What does it mean for you to embrace Jesus as the One who laid down His life for you?...read more
- Hidden Costs - What are some ways you can avoid falling prey to Satan’s hidden costs this week?...read more
- Limits - How often are you weary or stressed from church work?...read more