The Shepherd's VoiceHave you ever had an experience where you believe God spoke to you?
Top Christian Music Videos
When Giving Isn’t Helping
The Lord will withhold no good thing from those who do what is right (v.11).
Street kids populate most intersections in Uganda’s capital city Kampala. I know many of the children by name, and when I’m stopped in traffic they regularly congregate at my car to talk and laugh with me.
As much as I care about the boys and girls, I don’t give them money; after 4 years of living in East Africa, I’ve learned that in most cases doing so isn’t helping them. Take Charles, for example. At age 11, Charles was a cute little boy. When he begged, he could make 10,000 Ugandan shillings a day (about $4.00).
Charles turned down a school sponsorship so that he could make money on the streets. As he got older, however, fewer people gave Charles handouts. His begging well ran dry and he had no education behind him to prepare him for legitimate work.
Proverbs 3:27 says, “Do not withhold good from those who deserve it when it’s in your power to help them. If you can help your neighbor now, don’t say, ‘Come back tomorrow, and then I’ll help you.’ ” It’s natural, when a child sticks his hand in your car window and asks for help, to think, It’s in my “power to help” now by giving this young person money.But I urge you to consider prayerfully whether handing out your money would truly benefit the person. There’s a time to give freely to those in need, but sometimes helping in other ways is the greater good.
When we don’t receive something right away after praying to God, we can rest assured that He is choosing what is best to build our character and faith. God cares about us too much to offer quick fixes that aren’t in our best interest.
Read Ecclesiastes 3:13 and see what it says about God’s gift-giving.
What’s something you can do for a needy person in your life—other than simply to hand him or her money? Why does God sometimes not give us what we think we need?
- The Shepherd's Voice - Have you ever had an experience where you believe God spoke to you?...read more
- Fearless - How can you learn to trust God more deeply and follow Him more courageously?...read more
- Next Steps - Have you ever made a choice or taken an unwise risk that caused you pain?...read more
- Cleansing and Calling - What does it mean to follow God’s calling in your life?...read more
- Finding Refuge - What does it mean for God to be your true refuge?...read more
- Why Pray? - What do you need to ask God for today?...read more
- Love and Adoption - What does it mean to you to be adopted by your heavenly Father?...read more
- Worship and Service - Why is it so vital for you to worship God with all you are?...read more
- Holy Desperation - Do you have a personal relationship with Jesus?...read more
- Insisting on Joy - What would it look like for you to insist on joy this week?...read more
- Hot Water - Where in your spiritual life have you become complacent?...read more
- Remade - Do any areas of your life need to be remade?...read more
- God’s Renewing Presence - What can you do to experience God’s renewing presence today?...read more
- Enduring Hope - Have you lost hope and become disillusioned with life?...read more
- Grasping Grace - What does God’s grace mean to you?...read more
- Clear View - How can you seek God’s wisdom and direction today?...read more