He Will Handle ItWhat burden will you give to Him today?
Top Christian Music Videos
When Giving Isn’t Helping
The Lord will withhold no good thing from those who do what is right (v.11).
Street kids populate most intersections in Uganda’s capital city Kampala. I know many of the children by name, and when I’m stopped in traffic they regularly congregate at my car to talk and laugh with me.
As much as I care about the boys and girls, I don’t give them money; after 4 years of living in East Africa, I’ve learned that in most cases doing so isn’t helping them. Take Charles, for example. At age 11, Charles was a cute little boy. When he begged, he could make 10,000 Ugandan shillings a day (about $4.00).
Charles turned down a school sponsorship so that he could make money on the streets. As he got older, however, fewer people gave Charles handouts. His begging well ran dry and he had no education behind him to prepare him for legitimate work.
Proverbs 3:27 says, “Do not withhold good from those who deserve it when it’s in your power to help them. If you can help your neighbor now, don’t say, ‘Come back tomorrow, and then I’ll help you.’ ” It’s natural, when a child sticks his hand in your car window and asks for help, to think, It’s in my “power to help” now by giving this young person money.But I urge you to consider prayerfully whether handing out your money would truly benefit the person. There’s a time to give freely to those in need, but sometimes helping in other ways is the greater good.
When we don’t receive something right away after praying to God, we can rest assured that He is choosing what is best to build our character and faith. God cares about us too much to offer quick fixes that aren’t in our best interest.
Read Ecclesiastes 3:13 and see what it says about God’s gift-giving.
What’s something you can do for a needy person in your life—other than simply to hand him or her money? Why does God sometimes not give us what we think we need?
- He Will Handle It - What burden will you give to Him today?...read more
- Always Loved - Even before he made the world, God loved us and chose us....read more
- Run with It! - Jesus is the author of life....read more
- Sacrificial Love - What does it mean for you to carry your cross?...read more
- Autograph of the Ordinary - Do you accept the truth that God is in your ordinary work?...read more
- The Gift of Love - How should you respond to such a great love?...read more
- Warm Welcome - How does warm hospitality reflect God’s loving heart?...read more
- In the Gap - What has God equipped you with to intercede for others?...read more
- Confession and Blessing - How does repentance reveal our faith and trust in Jesus?...read more
- Breaking the Mold - How are you sharing Jesus with the next generation?...read more
- Diseased Hearts - What are the implications of only God truly knowing the heart and being able to cure it?...read more
- To Make Them Better - To follow Jesus means we allow God to transform the whole of our life....read more
- Looking for Work? - Consider how God has uniquely equipped you....read more
- Out of the Blue - God intervened before we were aware of our need....read more
- Joy and Sadness - Is there sadness in your life you need to embrace?...read more
- Passion Unleashed - What gifts and talents has God given you?...read more