Tongues AfireWhen have you recently endured the wound of another person’s words?
Top Music Videos
What To Do?
I used to struggle big-time with making decisions.
When confronted with options I seldom experienced
confidence that I would make the right decision.
One winter, I flew to Colorado to visit some dear
friends who owned a ski resort. Rather than take
advantage of free skiing, however, I opted to spend my
days by the fireplace in their cozy home, tackling my
With Bible in hand, I looked up every verse I could
find that pertained to choosing wisely. My study
prompted me to apply verses in a new way. Rather than
just reading Scripture, I began to ask questions that
would reveal whether or not I was actually applying
God’s Word to my situation and steps. For example,
rather than just agreeing with Proverbs 3:5-6—“Trust in
the Lord with all your heart; do not depend on your own
understanding. Seek His will in all you do, and He will
show you which path to take”—I jotted down verses and
related questions, like these:
• Verse: “Trust the Lord with all your heart.” Question:
Am I trusting the Lord with all my heart in this matter?
Why or why not?
• Verse: “Do not depend on your own understanding.”
Question: What is my understanding of this situation?
Am I depending on my perception or on God’s
As I answered questions like these, it helped me identify the source of my
heart’s desires (Psalm 20:4) and my confidence. It prompted me to walk in
response to God’s Word rather than my own fickle ways.
Today, think through some of your favorite Bible verses and jot down
questions that can help you live them out to God’s glory. His Word gives us the
wisdom we need to know what to do.
What does 2 Corinthians 1:17 reveal about plans without conviction?
How has wisdom from God’s Word helped you to make good decisions?
How should prayer and Scripture intersect as we seek to do the right thing?
- Tongues Afire - When have you recently endured the wound of another person’s words?...read more
- True Fellowship - What comes to your mind when you hear the word fellowship?...read more
- After 35 - What does it mean for you to rely on God in all things?...read more
- The Failure Wall - In what ways do you need to be prepared for encounters with spiritual enemies?...read more
- Worship 101 - What can you praise God for today?...read more
- Distance - What expectations do you have of fellow church members when it comes to meeting your needs?...read more
- Sarcasm and Sincerity - Do your words provide a safe environment for others?...read more
- Empty Spaces - What’s taking up space in your heart?...read more
- Showing the Way - How prepared are you to share your faith with others?...read more
- New Address? - Where’s the line between worrying and simply pondering a decision?...read more
- Real Stewardship - How are you using your gifts and talents to bring God to others?...read more
- Korah’s Redemption - How has God revealed His redeeming ways to you?...read more
- Stuff We Need - How can you give lavishly to God and others today?...read more
- Rising Above - What difficulties have caused you to experience distress recently?...read more
- God Our Restorer - Are you in need of God’s restorative power today?...read more
- You're Called - Are you dissatisfied with your present calling?...read more