LaughterHow do joy and laughter reveal the heart of God?
Top Music Videos
A glance through the headlines sets off a warning siren in our collective soul. One country, reeling from years of civil war, reports more than 2,000 civilians killed in 2 months. No tribe, no nation, no people-group is free from the threat of violence.
It's a tired tune we've heard down through the ages. More than 700 years before Christ, Judah's King Ahaz trembled at the looming onslaught from Israel and Syria (Isaiah 7:2). Then the prophet Isaiah brought him good news . . . and bad. Israel and Syria would not invade (vv.7-9). Egypt and Assyria, however, would pick the nation clean with a "razor" (vv.17-25). It was in the midst of this gloom and doom that God made the remarkable announcement of a coming Deliverer. In 7:14, the prophet mentions a child who would be called "Immanuel", God is with us. That prophecy had one fulfillment in Isaiah's time. But centuries later, an angel told Joseph that Isaiah's prophetic words would be ultimately fulfilled in the Christ-child his fiancÃ©e was carrying (Matthew 1:23).
We worship and adore that tiny baby in the manger scene. Yet, in divine irony, the helpless Babe is also the "Lord of Heaven's Armies" who is mentioned 60 times in Isaiah alone! (8:13,18).
Perhaps that's why the Lord gave a "strong warning" to Isaiah "not to think like everyone else" (8:11). He said, "Don't call everything a conspiracy, like they do, and don't live in dread of what frightens them. Make the Lord of Heaven's Armies holy in your life. He is the One you should fear. He is the One who should make you tremble" (vv.12-13). Are you fearful this Christmas season? "His government and its peace will never end. He will rule with fairness and justice from the throne of His ancestor David for all eternity" (Isaiah 9:7). Better news is on the way. , Tim Gustafson, Our Daily Journey
CLICK HERE to visit OurDailyJourney.org
- Laughter - How do joy and laughter reveal the heart of God?...read more
- Powerful Patience - How can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?...read more
- Overwhelmed - What has sunk your spirits today?...read more
- Greater - How does the knowledge that God is greater than our storms impact the way you feel?...read more
- Voice of Reason - How do you respond to the rage of others?...read more
- Source of Truth - What does Scripture reveal about the issues on your mind today?...read more
- Little Things - Do you measure yourself and others according to God’s standards or the world’s?...read more
- Jesus the Reconciler - What does it add to your understanding of the cross to recognize that Jesus was enacting your reconciliation with God?...read more
- Tasting Heaven - How can you echo God’s future banquet by inviting diverse guests to your dinner parties?...read more
- Possible - What does it mean for you to know that Jesus is your Shepherd?...read more
- "Follow Me!" - Why are you following Jesus?...read more
- Here’s Hope - Why do we sometimes keep our struggles to ourselves?...read more
- Is Jesus Enough? - How do you react when you see injustice in the world, or when circumstances are against you and God seems to be silent?...read more
- Greater Work - What life experience has most challenged your understanding of prayer?...read more
- Awe - Where and when do you find yourself most in awe of God?...read more
- Purpose - How does the apostle Paul’s life demonstrate God’s “purpose” to you?...read more