Seasons of GriefAre you going through a season of grief where you are struggling to grieve?
Top Music Videos
Workaholic or Fool
It is a good thing to . . . enjoy your work and accept your lot in life— this is indeed a gift from God (5:19).
There was a man who worked 70 hours a week. Fortunately, he loved his job. He brought home a nice paycheck and provided good things for his family. He thought, One of these days I’ll slow down—but not today.One evening, he came home and his family wasn’t there. The kids had grown up and moved out, his wife had found a career, and the house was empty. He had been newly appointed as CEO. But he had made it to the top—alone.
When Solomon was “people watching,” he observed a man who lamented at the end of the day, “Who am I working for? Why am I giving up so much pleasure now?” (Ecclesiastes 4:8).
To avoid following in the wrong footsteps, we need to make three specific choices:
1. Choose contentment over achievement (vv.4-6). Solomon painted two extremes here—the workaholic and the fool. Then, in verse 6, he helps us strike the correct balance. Bible teacher Keith Krell paraphrased it this way: “Rather than grasping for so much it is better to have less and enjoy it more.”
2. Choose relationships over riches (vv.7-12). If we’re sacrificing relationships at the altar of success, we’ve got our priorities mixed up. Relationships make our work meaningful, rewarding, and enjoyable.
3. Choose wisdom over popularity (vv.13-16). Power and popularity are transient. No one will remain at the top forever. So we should hold wisdom tightly and power lightly.
Let’s learn to experience our work as a gift from God, by enjoying it and accepting our lot.
—Poh Fang Chia
Are you spending too much time at work at the expense of your family, friends, and church? Why? How can you adjust your priorities to better reflect eternal goals?
- Seasons of Grief - Are you going through a season of grief where you are struggling to grieve?...read more
- John's Question - What steps can you take to seek God’s perspective in a current challenging situation?...read more
- Victory - What battles are you facing these days?...read more
- Starting Over - Have you experienced a fresh start in Jesus?...read more
- Genuine Love - How have you experienced the reality of God’s love?...read more
- Straight Up - Is there a current situation in your life where you’ve been less than honest?...read more
- He Saw Something - Have you seen something so true that you would be willing to live or die for it?...read more
- Higher Law, Higher Love - What choice of conscience faces you today?...read more
- Stay or Run Away - How might God want you to display His glory in your life?...read more
- Jealousy and Generosity - To help His followers understand what the kingdom of heaven is like and the dangers of comparison obsession, Jesus told a parable about a landowner who hired workers to tend his vineyard....read more
- On the Fringe - Who sits alone at church that you can befriend?...read more
- Taming Anger - Think back to a time when you lashed out in anger, or when someone lashed out at you....read more
- Full of Joy - How can you tap into God’s joy more fully?...read more
- Mistaken vs. Hard Hearts - How have you experienced a hard heart toward God in your relationship with Him?...read more
- The Narrow Door - How can salvation be a free gift simply received and yet still require our response?...read more
- Last Dance - How can you focus on thoughts that are lovely and admirable today?...read more