The Lost VirtueIn what common circumstances are you most impatient?
Top Christian Music Videos
The Good Shepherd
The Lord is my shepherd (v.1).
When I was in high school, my parents took our
family to Israel. The collision of histories, sights,
languages, and beliefs stretched my world.
Shepherding is still an important way of life in Israel.
It’s common to see a shepherd taking his flock from one
place to another. However, unlike the sheep herding
I had seen back home in Texas (where a rancher on
horseback typically drove the sheep forward), there the
shepherd walks ahead of the sheep—leading the way.
If something dangerous lies ahead, the shepherd faces it
first. The sheep don’t have to worry about where they’re
going. They simply follow in safety.
Emerging from this same culture and practice, the
psalmist used this imagery of the shepherd to remind
us of what God is like. Psalm 23 (one of the bestknown
passages of Scripture) reminds us that our
concerns and well-being are in the Shepherd’s hands.
Because the Lord is our Shepherd, we “have all that
[we] need” (v.1).
This Good Shepherd leads, renews, and guides us
(vv.2-3). Nearly all of the initiative in Psalm 23 is the
Shepherd’s, not ours. Most of the responsibility is on the
Shepherd, not us. The Shepherd shows the way, and we
To be sure, this doesn’t mean that we will avoid all
trouble or danger in life. Rather, it means that even on
those occasions when we must walk “through the darkest valley,” we have no
reason to fear because the Good Shepherd is “close beside [us]” (v.4).
I find that a good bit of my anxiety comes from believing that I have to be the
shepherd. But I don’t. God is the only Shepherd we will ever need.
Read John 10:1. How is the imagery of a shepherd used here?
What are some of the words John repeats that emphasize how we
should encounter and follow the Shepherd?
How have you been tempted to move ahead of the Shepherd? Where
is the Shepherd inviting you to follow?
- The Lost Virtue - In what common circumstances are you most impatient?...read more
- Right and Wrong Words - Is your tongue quick to criticize but slow to apologize?...read more
- Kindness and Hospitality - How are you using your God-given gifts to love and serve others?...read more
- Rejoicing in Deep Need - What happens when you choose to rejoice in God even when you’re in deep need?...read more
- Staying True - Our ability to stand in the midst of trials will depend on the focus of our gaze....read more
- Write Your Epitaph - How are you growing in your faith and the proclaiming of it?...read more
- What Happens in the End - Are you feeling hopeless and weary? Be reminded of what happens in the end!...read more
- Stop Painting Your Bucket - Who you are is who you are in Jesus....read more
- What We Have - When do you feel most grateful?...read more
- God's Perspective - What has God called you to do that might appear to be too challenging?...read more
- More than Walking on Water - Do you ever find yourself focusing more on what God can do than on who He is?...read more
- The Spirit’s Wind - In what areas of your life have you been laboring in your own strength instead of God’s power?...read more
- Laying Down Your Life - What does it mean for you to embrace Jesus as the One who laid down His life for you?...read more
- Hidden Costs - What are some ways you can avoid falling prey to Satan’s hidden costs this week?...read more
- Limits - How often are you weary or stressed from church work?...read more
- Healing Prayer - Why is it important for us to bring our pain and suffering to God?...read more