Laying Down Our LivesWhat sometimes holds you back from laying down your life for others?
Top Christian Music Videos
The Good Shepherd
The Lord is my shepherd (v.1).
When I was in high school, my parents took our
family to Israel. The collision of histories, sights,
languages, and beliefs stretched my world.
Shepherding is still an important way of life in Israel.
It’s common to see a shepherd taking his flock from one
place to another. However, unlike the sheep herding
I had seen back home in Texas (where a rancher on
horseback typically drove the sheep forward), there the
shepherd walks ahead of the sheep—leading the way.
If something dangerous lies ahead, the shepherd faces it
first. The sheep don’t have to worry about where they’re
going. They simply follow in safety.
Emerging from this same culture and practice, the
psalmist used this imagery of the shepherd to remind
us of what God is like. Psalm 23 (one of the bestknown
passages of Scripture) reminds us that our
concerns and well-being are in the Shepherd’s hands.
Because the Lord is our Shepherd, we “have all that
[we] need” (v.1).
This Good Shepherd leads, renews, and guides us
(vv.2-3). Nearly all of the initiative in Psalm 23 is the
Shepherd’s, not ours. Most of the responsibility is on the
Shepherd, not us. The Shepherd shows the way, and we
To be sure, this doesn’t mean that we will avoid all
trouble or danger in life. Rather, it means that even on
those occasions when we must walk “through the darkest valley,” we have no
reason to fear because the Good Shepherd is “close beside [us]” (v.4).
I find that a good bit of my anxiety comes from believing that I have to be the
shepherd. But I don’t. God is the only Shepherd we will ever need.
Read John 10:1. How is the imagery of a shepherd used here?
What are some of the words John repeats that emphasize how we
should encounter and follow the Shepherd?
How have you been tempted to move ahead of the Shepherd? Where
is the Shepherd inviting you to follow?
- Laying Down Our Lives - What sometimes holds you back from laying down your life for others?...read more
- A Little Farther - Do you hear much about lament in your local church?...read more
- Distraction - What’s your biggest distraction as you strive to follow Jesus?...read more
- Intentional Defiance - Be encouraged by a God who is with you to discipline and lead you away from wrong turns....read more
- The Family Name - How do you show appreciation for the reconciliation God has offered?...read more
- Unwavering Love - What does it mean for you to rest in God’s unwavering love?...read more
- Far Better - What are you most looking forward to when God calls you home?...read more
- A Good Name - When you consider your reputation, what might you change to better reflect Jesus to others?...read more
- Light the Path - How have others illumined the path for you to Jesus?...read more
- More Than Feelings - God created us to live in the fullness of His image—emotions included....read more
- Of Penguins and People - Who needs your committed, enduring love today?...read more
- Big and Small - What do you do with your worries?...read more
- A Way Out - Do you have a tendency to overestimate or underestimate?...read more
- Extravagant Love - When have you encountered God’s extravagant love?...read more
- Income vs. Investment - How will you be “rich in good works” today?...read more
- Famous in God’s Eyes - Who needs you to humbly, lovingly serve them today?...read more