Starting OverHave you experienced a fresh start in Jesus?
Top Music Videos
God Is Near
Call on [God] now while He is near (v.6).
Last October, the world looked on—cheering and
crying and laughing with relief and joy—as 33
Chilean miners were plucked one by one from
their deep, cavernous prison. For more than 2 months,
these men hung on to hope and life a half-mile below
ground. The rescue teams preparing for the evacuation
had numerous concerns: Would the escape pod function
properly? Would the men experience hypertension as they
rose to the surface? Would they develop blood clots? The
primary concern, however, was panic attacks. “This is the
first time in many weeks that the miners are going to be
completely alone,” said Chile’s health minister.
We know what it feels like to be alone. Perhaps you’ve
been abandoned by a parent or friend. You may feel
lost. Even in a crowd, you feel isolated. God, however,
invites us into relationship, into friendship. “Come to
me,” God says (Isaiah 55:3). He invites us to come out of
isolation and embrace relationship with Him.
When we come to God, we’re always welcomed
with open arms. Unlike other relationships we’ve known,
God’s love isn’t based upon us meeting some expectation
or providing something for Him. He simply loves—
completely, entirely, without hesitation. God makes a
promise to His people, an “everlasting covenant . . .
[of] unfailing love” (v.3).
This everlasting covenant finds its ultimate expression in
Jesus, who came to us and brought God to us, along with His life and forgiveness.
We didn’t reach up to Him. In Jesus, God reached down to us. We didn’t come
near to Him. In Jesus, God came near to us.
“Seek the Lord while you can find Him,” Isaiah says. “Call on [God] now
while He is near” (v.6). The good news is that, in Jesus, “God is with us”
Continue reading Isaiah 55:1. Note the paradox in verses 8-9. In what sense
is God far from us even though He’s near?
Where do you experience isolation and loneliness? How
does God’s invitation to experience His nearness
- Starting Over - Have you experienced a fresh start in Jesus?...read more
- Genuine Love - How have you experienced the reality of God’s love?...read more
- Straight Up - Is there a current situation in your life where you’ve been less than honest?...read more
- He Saw Something - Have you seen something so true that you would be willing to live or die for it?...read more
- Higher Law, Higher Love - What choice of conscience faces you today?...read more
- Stay or Run Away - How might God want you to display His glory in your life?...read more
- Jealousy and Generosity - To help His followers understand what the kingdom of heaven is like and the dangers of comparison obsession, Jesus told a parable about a landowner who hired workers to tend his vineyard....read more
- On the Fringe - Who sits alone at church that you can befriend?...read more
- Taming Anger - Think back to a time when you lashed out in anger, or when someone lashed out at you....read more
- Full of Joy - How can you tap into God’s joy more fully?...read more
- Mistaken vs. Hard Hearts - How have you experienced a hard heart toward God in your relationship with Him?...read more
- The Narrow Door - How can salvation be a free gift simply received and yet still require our response?...read more
- Last Dance - How can you focus on thoughts that are lovely and admirable today?...read more
- Free to Forgive - How has God’s forgiveness changed your heart?...read more
- Friendly Wounds - What does it mean to “speak the truth in love”?...read more
- Hope Awakening - Do you tend to see the glass as half empty or half full?...read more