LaughterHow do joy and laughter reveal the heart of God?
Top Music Videos
God Is Near
Call on [God] now while He is near (v.6).
Last October, the world looked on—cheering and
crying and laughing with relief and joy—as 33
Chilean miners were plucked one by one from
their deep, cavernous prison. For more than 2 months,
these men hung on to hope and life a half-mile below
ground. The rescue teams preparing for the evacuation
had numerous concerns: Would the escape pod function
properly? Would the men experience hypertension as they
rose to the surface? Would they develop blood clots? The
primary concern, however, was panic attacks. “This is the
first time in many weeks that the miners are going to be
completely alone,” said Chile’s health minister.
We know what it feels like to be alone. Perhaps you’ve
been abandoned by a parent or friend. You may feel
lost. Even in a crowd, you feel isolated. God, however,
invites us into relationship, into friendship. “Come to
me,” God says (Isaiah 55:3). He invites us to come out of
isolation and embrace relationship with Him.
When we come to God, we’re always welcomed
with open arms. Unlike other relationships we’ve known,
God’s love isn’t based upon us meeting some expectation
or providing something for Him. He simply loves—
completely, entirely, without hesitation. God makes a
promise to His people, an “everlasting covenant . . .
[of] unfailing love” (v.3).
This everlasting covenant finds its ultimate expression in
Jesus, who came to us and brought God to us, along with His life and forgiveness.
We didn’t reach up to Him. In Jesus, God reached down to us. We didn’t come
near to Him. In Jesus, God came near to us.
“Seek the Lord while you can find Him,” Isaiah says. “Call on [God] now
while He is near” (v.6). The good news is that, in Jesus, “God is with us”
Continue reading Isaiah 55:1. Note the paradox in verses 8-9. In what sense
is God far from us even though He’s near?
Where do you experience isolation and loneliness? How
does God’s invitation to experience His nearness
- Laughter - How do joy and laughter reveal the heart of God?...read more
- Powerful Patience - How can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?...read more
- Overwhelmed - What has sunk your spirits today?...read more
- Greater - How does the knowledge that God is greater than our storms impact the way you feel?...read more
- Voice of Reason - How do you respond to the rage of others?...read more
- Source of Truth - What does Scripture reveal about the issues on your mind today?...read more
- Little Things - Do you measure yourself and others according to God’s standards or the world’s?...read more
- Jesus the Reconciler - What does it add to your understanding of the cross to recognize that Jesus was enacting your reconciliation with God?...read more
- Tasting Heaven - How can you echo God’s future banquet by inviting diverse guests to your dinner parties?...read more
- Possible - What does it mean for you to know that Jesus is your Shepherd?...read more
- "Follow Me!" - Why are you following Jesus?...read more
- Here’s Hope - Why do we sometimes keep our struggles to ourselves?...read more
- Is Jesus Enough? - How do you react when you see injustice in the world, or when circumstances are against you and God seems to be silent?...read more
- Greater Work - What life experience has most challenged your understanding of prayer?...read more
- Awe - Where and when do you find yourself most in awe of God?...read more
- Purpose - How does the apostle Paul’s life demonstrate God’s “purpose” to you?...read more