A Little FartherDo you hear much about lament in your local church?
Top Christian Music Videos
God Is Near
Call on [God] now while He is near (v.6).
Last October, the world looked on—cheering and
crying and laughing with relief and joy—as 33
Chilean miners were plucked one by one from
their deep, cavernous prison. For more than 2 months,
these men hung on to hope and life a half-mile below
ground. The rescue teams preparing for the evacuation
had numerous concerns: Would the escape pod function
properly? Would the men experience hypertension as they
rose to the surface? Would they develop blood clots? The
primary concern, however, was panic attacks. “This is the
first time in many weeks that the miners are going to be
completely alone,” said Chile’s health minister.
We know what it feels like to be alone. Perhaps you’ve
been abandoned by a parent or friend. You may feel
lost. Even in a crowd, you feel isolated. God, however,
invites us into relationship, into friendship. “Come to
me,” God says (Isaiah 55:3). He invites us to come out of
isolation and embrace relationship with Him.
When we come to God, we’re always welcomed
with open arms. Unlike other relationships we’ve known,
God’s love isn’t based upon us meeting some expectation
or providing something for Him. He simply loves—
completely, entirely, without hesitation. God makes a
promise to His people, an “everlasting covenant . . .
[of] unfailing love” (v.3).
This everlasting covenant finds its ultimate expression in
Jesus, who came to us and brought God to us, along with His life and forgiveness.
We didn’t reach up to Him. In Jesus, God reached down to us. We didn’t come
near to Him. In Jesus, God came near to us.
“Seek the Lord while you can find Him,” Isaiah says. “Call on [God] now
while He is near” (v.6). The good news is that, in Jesus, “God is with us”
Continue reading Isaiah 55:1. Note the paradox in verses 8-9. In what sense
is God far from us even though He’s near?
Where do you experience isolation and loneliness? How
does God’s invitation to experience His nearness
- A Little Farther - Do you hear much about lament in your local church?...read more
- Distraction - What’s your biggest distraction as you strive to follow Jesus?...read more
- Intentional Defiance - Be encouraged by a God who is with you to discipline and lead you away from wrong turns....read more
- The Family Name - How do you show appreciation for the reconciliation God has offered?...read more
- Unwavering Love - What does it mean for you to rest in God’s unwavering love?...read more
- Far Better - What are you most looking forward to when God calls you home?...read more
- A Good Name - When you consider your reputation, what might you change to better reflect Jesus to others?...read more
- Light the Path - How have others illumined the path for you to Jesus?...read more
- More Than Feelings - God created us to live in the fullness of His image—emotions included....read more
- Of Penguins and People - Who needs your committed, enduring love today?...read more
- Big and Small - What do you do with your worries?...read more
- A Way Out - Do you have a tendency to overestimate or underestimate?...read more
- Extravagant Love - When have you encountered God’s extravagant love?...read more
- Income vs. Investment - How will you be “rich in good works” today?...read more
- Famous in God’s Eyes - Who needs you to humbly, lovingly serve them today?...read more
- Shared Responsibility - Have you ever apologized for the actions of someone else?...read more