Run with It!Jesus is the author of life.
Top Christian Music Videos
The tongue can bring death or life; those who love to talk will reap the consequences (v.21).
Hazel Namandingo says that so many people have HIV and AIDS in her homeland of Malawi that singles often rely on gossip to figure out who is safe to date or marry. Accurate information can mean the difference between life and death—but as often happens when the stakes are so high, unfounded rumors start to fly. Hazel said that Malawians whisper about women who have smooth skin (thought to be a sign of the HIV virus) or who happen to be exceptionally beautiful. The men assume that these women have had many boyfriends, so it’s best to avoid them if you don’t want to catch AIDS.
This predicament—so understandable and yet so wrong—illustrates the devastation of gossip. Gossip robs people of their most cherished possession, for “a good name is more desirable than great riches” (Proverbs 22:1 NIV). Once a cloud of suspicion settles on a Malawian woman, there is little she can do to attract eligible suitors. She may be single for the rest of her life—for no other reason than that men find her attractive.Gossip is serious business, so before telling one person about another, stop and ask three questions:
• Is it true?
• Are you sure? God gets angry with people who bear false witness against their neighbor. He even included the sin in His Ten Commandments (Exodus 20:16).
• Is it necessary? Not everything that’s true is helpful to share, so it’s important to ask why you want to spill the beans. Is a life at stake? Will your information prevent someone from making a terrible mistake? Or do you merely like the idea of “being in the know”? Your juicy secret may win the admiration of a few friends, but at what cost?
Think of the person you’re destroying, then swallow your pride—and your words (Proverbs 18:21).
Meditate on Proverbs 18:8 and consider how deeply rumors affect us.
Why does gossip destroy our fellowship with God and others? Look for opportunities to share “good” gossip—to spread positive truths about people you love, and even those you don’t.
- Run with It! - Jesus is the author of life....read more
- Sacrificial Love - What does it mean for you to carry your cross?...read more
- Autograph of the Ordinary - Do you accept the truth that God is in your ordinary work?...read more
- The Gift of Love - How should you respond to such a great love?...read more
- Warm Welcome - How does warm hospitality reflect God’s loving heart?...read more
- In the Gap - What has God equipped you with to intercede for others?...read more
- Confession and Blessing - How does repentance reveal our faith and trust in Jesus?...read more
- Breaking the Mold - How are you sharing Jesus with the next generation?...read more
- Diseased Hearts - What are the implications of only God truly knowing the heart and being able to cure it?...read more
- To Make Them Better - To follow Jesus means we allow God to transform the whole of our life....read more
- Looking for Work? - Consider how God has uniquely equipped you....read more
- Out of the Blue - God intervened before we were aware of our need....read more
- Joy and Sadness - Is there sadness in your life you need to embrace?...read more
- Passion Unleashed - What gifts and talents has God given you?...read more
- Thankful for What? - How do your difficult times more clearly illustrate God’s power and redemption?...read more
- Where Desire Takes Us - What desires have you been wrestling with?...read more