Encouragement ExchangeHow could you give encouragement to someone today?
Top Music Videos
Wash yourselves and be clean! (v.16).
I accidentally dropped my cell phone into the garbage
can. It slid straight to the bottom, and when I pulled
it out, it was covered with some kind of disgusting
mystery goo. Horrified, I set to work spraying, scrubbing,
and disinfecting. I didn’t stop until the phone was spotless.
God called the people of Israel to “sanitize” themselves.
They’d been living as a nation of spiritual renegades
(Isaiah 1:4) even as they continued to observe their
religious ceremonies. God was seriously fed up with them.
He said, “I am sick of your burnt offerings” (v.11), and
“When you lift up your hands in prayer, I will not look”
(v.15). God didn’t want an outward show of confession
without an inner commitment to act differently.
Fortunately, God outlined a couple of steps to help the
nation get right with Him. He began by saying, “Give up
your evil ways” (v.16). As believers in Jesus, we have the
same responsibility to knock off the sin that separates us
from God. Anything less is abusing God’s grace. Paul
asked, “Should we keep on sinning so that God can show
us more and more of His wonderful grace? Of course
not!” (Romans 6:1-2).
Once we discontinue specific sinful actions, it’s
important to replace them with activities that please
God. Getting clean involves “[learning] to do good”
(Isaiah 1:17). Specifically, we can lend a hand to the
poor, defend orphans, or champion the rights of widows.
Like the Israelites, many of us sin like crazy, and then supposedly come clean
before God every Sunday. With the Holy Spirit’s help (Ezekiel 36:27), we can
stop that cycle and align our actions with our repentant hearts. We can follow
God’s command: “Wash yourselves!” (Isaiah 1:16), and He will make us truly
spotless. —Jennifer Benson Schuldt
Read Romans 13:11 to understand the urgency involved in
getting right with God.
How does insincere confession by believers in Jesus affect the way
nonbelievers view the Christian faith? Why is it so important to replace
sinful habits with Godpleasing actions?
- Encouragement Exchange - How could you give encouragement to someone today?...read more
- Raise the Temperature - ...read more
- Always There - Do you believe that the Lord is always with you?...read more
- Seasons of Grief - Are you going through a season of grief where you are struggling to grieve?...read more
- John's Question - What steps can you take to seek God’s perspective in a current challenging situation?...read more
- Victory - What battles are you facing these days?...read more
- Starting Over - Have you experienced a fresh start in Jesus?...read more
- Genuine Love - How have you experienced the reality of God’s love?...read more
- Straight Up - Is there a current situation in your life where you’ve been less than honest?...read more
- He Saw Something - Have you seen something so true that you would be willing to live or die for it?...read more
- Higher Law, Higher Love - What choice of conscience faces you today?...read more
- Stay or Run Away - How might God want you to display His glory in your life?...read more
- Jealousy and Generosity - To help His followers understand what the kingdom of heaven is like and the dangers of comparison obsession, Jesus told a parable about a landowner who hired workers to tend his vineyard....read more
- On the Fringe - Who sits alone at church that you can befriend?...read more
- Taming Anger - Think back to a time when you lashed out in anger, or when someone lashed out at you....read more
- Full of Joy - How can you tap into God’s joy more fully?...read more