Subscribe to God’s HelpWhat temptations are you battling?
Top Music Videos
No, dear brothers and sisters, I have not achieved it, but I focus on this one thing: Forgetting the past and looking forward to what lies ahead (v.13).
I have a somewhat obsessive behavior when it comes to writing down anything lengthy on paper. I hate making a mistake. Fighting the compulsion to rewrite every word (rather than scratching out a few errors), I endure the look of a messy page.
Lately, I’ve been wrestling with the desire to “erase” some difficult issues in the circumstances around me. After all, it seems so much easier to leave behind the things I can’t change, rather than having to stick around and wade through them.
Some of us run in life—but not in the race of which Paul speaks. Instead of moving toward the goal of deeper intimacy with Christ, we spend our time avoiding the real issues in life or running from the difficult places of hurt. We develop quick feet and thick defenses; and rather than working through a “revision” of the situations around us, we keep tearing off the page and trying to start over.
In this world, we will face places where we desire a “do-over”—either because of our choices or the decisions of others. Avoidance and revision, however, are two entirely different responses. One leaves the stings and nettles intact, but buried beneath the surface. The other requires that we acknowledge and surrender the difficulties of life in exchange for the grace offered at the cross.
The past will continually attempt to speak into our present and future. But the past should be given voice only in the remembrances of God’s restoration and healing, for He indeed makes “everything new” (Revelation 21:3).
Paul couldn’t undo the prior decisions of his life (Philippians 3:7), nor could he change the opinions of those around him (Acts 26:28). He had but one choice—stay focused on the prize (vv.13-14). For him, the work of the cross triumphed over any previous accomplishment or failure (v.3).
What current life circumstances are you trying to run from? How does running remove God’s hand from working in your situation? How will letting go of the past change your life?
- Subscribe to God’s Help - What temptations are you battling?...read more
- Taking on Too Much - What are you trying to take on that only God can do...read more
- Representing Jesus - In what practical ways can you effectively represent Christ?...read more
- Myth No More - Why must God judge His enemies and make things right?...read more
- Hidden Sins - How have you been trying to deal with your sin?...read more
- The Kingdom We Long For - What makes you most desperate for the fullness of God’s kingdom to arrive?...read more
- Offering Refuge and Hope - How can you practically and prayerfully support refugees?...read more
- Songs Before Dawn - How will you use your voice to let the good news ring out today?...read more
- Uber Conversations - How do the Father, Son, and the Holy Spirit model a loving relationship?...read more
- Prayer on an Airplane - How can you prepare to share the hope you have in Jesus?...read more
- Adding Interest? - Is there something you’re holding back from God?...read more
- Lord of the Cosmos - What does Jesus being “Lord of the cosmos” mean for your future?...read more
- Farming Hope - What trial are you facing today?...read more
- Because of Sunday - How can you learn to imitate Jesus and His mindset as you face conflict?...read more
- Our Real and Present God - When have you grappled with questions about God’s nearness and presence?...read more
- Gift of Tears - What triggers your emotions?...read more