Encouragement ExchangeHow could you give encouragement to someone today?
Top Music Videos
No, dear brothers and sisters, I have not achieved it, but I focus on this one thing: Forgetting the past and looking forward to what lies ahead (v.13).
I have a somewhat obsessive behavior when it comes to writing down anything lengthy on paper. I hate making a mistake. Fighting the compulsion to rewrite every word (rather than scratching out a few errors), I endure the look of a messy page.
Lately, I’ve been wrestling with the desire to “erase” some difficult issues in the circumstances around me. After all, it seems so much easier to leave behind the things I can’t change, rather than having to stick around and wade through them.
Some of us run in life—but not in the race of which Paul speaks. Instead of moving toward the goal of deeper intimacy with Christ, we spend our time avoiding the real issues in life or running from the difficult places of hurt. We develop quick feet and thick defenses; and rather than working through a “revision” of the situations around us, we keep tearing off the page and trying to start over.
In this world, we will face places where we desire a “do-over”—either because of our choices or the decisions of others. Avoidance and revision, however, are two entirely different responses. One leaves the stings and nettles intact, but buried beneath the surface. The other requires that we acknowledge and surrender the difficulties of life in exchange for the grace offered at the cross.
The past will continually attempt to speak into our present and future. But the past should be given voice only in the remembrances of God’s restoration and healing, for He indeed makes “everything new” (Revelation 21:3).
Paul couldn’t undo the prior decisions of his life (Philippians 3:7), nor could he change the opinions of those around him (Acts 26:28). He had but one choice—stay focused on the prize (vv.13-14). For him, the work of the cross triumphed over any previous accomplishment or failure (v.3).
What current life circumstances are you trying to run from? How does running remove God’s hand from working in your situation? How will letting go of the past change your life?
- Encouragement Exchange - How could you give encouragement to someone today?...read more
- Raise the Temperature - ...read more
- Always There - Do you believe that the Lord is always with you?...read more
- Seasons of Grief - Are you going through a season of grief where you are struggling to grieve?...read more
- John's Question - What steps can you take to seek God’s perspective in a current challenging situation?...read more
- Victory - What battles are you facing these days?...read more
- Starting Over - Have you experienced a fresh start in Jesus?...read more
- Genuine Love - How have you experienced the reality of God’s love?...read more
- Straight Up - Is there a current situation in your life where you’ve been less than honest?...read more
- He Saw Something - Have you seen something so true that you would be willing to live or die for it?...read more
- Higher Law, Higher Love - What choice of conscience faces you today?...read more
- Stay or Run Away - How might God want you to display His glory in your life?...read more
- Jealousy and Generosity - To help His followers understand what the kingdom of heaven is like and the dangers of comparison obsession, Jesus told a parable about a landowner who hired workers to tend his vineyard....read more
- On the Fringe - Who sits alone at church that you can befriend?...read more
- Taming Anger - Think back to a time when you lashed out in anger, or when someone lashed out at you....read more
- Full of Joy - How can you tap into God’s joy more fully?...read more