Run with It!Jesus is the author of life.
Top Christian Music Videos
No, dear brothers and sisters, I have not achieved it, but I focus on this one thing: Forgetting the past and looking forward to what lies ahead (v.13).
I have a somewhat obsessive behavior when it comes to writing down anything lengthy on paper. I hate making a mistake. Fighting the compulsion to rewrite every word (rather than scratching out a few errors), I endure the look of a messy page.
Lately, I’ve been wrestling with the desire to “erase” some difficult issues in the circumstances around me. After all, it seems so much easier to leave behind the things I can’t change, rather than having to stick around and wade through them.
Some of us run in life—but not in the race of which Paul speaks. Instead of moving toward the goal of deeper intimacy with Christ, we spend our time avoiding the real issues in life or running from the difficult places of hurt. We develop quick feet and thick defenses; and rather than working through a “revision” of the situations around us, we keep tearing off the page and trying to start over.
In this world, we will face places where we desire a “do-over”—either because of our choices or the decisions of others. Avoidance and revision, however, are two entirely different responses. One leaves the stings and nettles intact, but buried beneath the surface. The other requires that we acknowledge and surrender the difficulties of life in exchange for the grace offered at the cross.
The past will continually attempt to speak into our present and future. But the past should be given voice only in the remembrances of God’s restoration and healing, for He indeed makes “everything new” (Revelation 21:3).
Paul couldn’t undo the prior decisions of his life (Philippians 3:7), nor could he change the opinions of those around him (Acts 26:28). He had but one choice—stay focused on the prize (vv.13-14). For him, the work of the cross triumphed over any previous accomplishment or failure (v.3).
What current life circumstances are you trying to run from? How does running remove God’s hand from working in your situation? How will letting go of the past change your life?
- Run with It! - Jesus is the author of life....read more
- Sacrificial Love - What does it mean for you to carry your cross?...read more
- Autograph of the Ordinary - Do you accept the truth that God is in your ordinary work?...read more
- The Gift of Love - How should you respond to such a great love?...read more
- Warm Welcome - How does warm hospitality reflect God’s loving heart?...read more
- In the Gap - What has God equipped you with to intercede for others?...read more
- Confession and Blessing - How does repentance reveal our faith and trust in Jesus?...read more
- Breaking the Mold - How are you sharing Jesus with the next generation?...read more
- Diseased Hearts - What are the implications of only God truly knowing the heart and being able to cure it?...read more
- To Make Them Better - To follow Jesus means we allow God to transform the whole of our life....read more
- Looking for Work? - Consider how God has uniquely equipped you....read more
- Out of the Blue - God intervened before we were aware of our need....read more
- Joy and Sadness - Is there sadness in your life you need to embrace?...read more
- Passion Unleashed - What gifts and talents has God given you?...read more
- Thankful for What? - How do your difficult times more clearly illustrate God’s power and redemption?...read more
- Where Desire Takes Us - What desires have you been wrestling with?...read more