MemorialsHow could you memorialize something God has done for you this week?
Top Music Videos
His father described him as down-to-earth, generous, kindhearted, life-loving, and unselfish. Maybe that's why so many people were shocked when Australian-born actor Heath Ledger died of a prescription drug overdose. Before his death, Ledger was reportedly fighting an addiction to heroin.
We all struggle with habitual cravings, food, gambling, and porn are just a few of the things that can enslave us. Fortunately, God can free us, as surely as He released the Israelites from slave status in Egypt. But once He sets us free, He wants us to move forward.
A short time after the Israelites left Egypt, they developed an attitude. "Back in Egypt . . . we sat around pots filled with meat and ate all the bread we wanted" (Exodus 16:3), they whined. Shaky circumstances led them to idealize the "good ol' days." But that kind of backward thinking sabotages our efforts to move forward, following "the Spirit's leading in every part of our lives" (Galatians 5:25).
God wants us to keep taking steps of faith, believing that He will provide what we need each day. When the Israelites realized that their new zip code didn't include any grocery stores, God said, No biggie. I'll send some manna their way, "as much food as they need for that day" (Exodus 16:4). Similarly, we should live one day at a time, trusting God to provide an escape route from our selfish desires. God "will not allow the temptation to be more than [we] can stand" (1 Corinthians 10:13). When we're tempted, He will show us a way out.
If God has shown you the escape hatch, don't look back. Don't "let sin control the way you live" (Romans 6:12). Instead, walk forward each day, trusting that "you will see the glory of the Lord" on your journey through the wilderness (Exodus 16:7). , Jennifer Benson Schuldt, Our Daily Journey
CLICK HERE to visit OurDailyJourney.org
- Memorials - How could you memorialize something God has done for you this week?...read more
- Sound Sensitive - Just as with Samuel, may we know the presence of God throughout the day....read more
- Rich in Good Works - How can you encourage other believers in Jesus to “be rich in good works”?...read more
- What Sets Us Free - Do you ever try to earn points with God?...read more
- Washed - In what ways is God calling you to visibly represent Him to someone else?...read more
- Sweet Music - What things have you been trying to handle without prayer?...read more
- Laughter - How do joy and laughter reveal the heart of God?...read more
- Powerful Patience - How can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?...read more
- Overwhelmed - What has sunk your spirits today?...read more
- Greater - How does the knowledge that God is greater than our storms impact the way you feel?...read more
- Voice of Reason - How do you respond to the rage of others?...read more
- Source of Truth - What does Scripture reveal about the issues on your mind today?...read more
- Little Things - Do you measure yourself and others according to God’s standards or the world’s?...read more
- Jesus the Reconciler - What does it add to your understanding of the cross to recognize that Jesus was enacting your reconciliation with God?...read more
- Tasting Heaven - How can you echo God’s future banquet by inviting diverse guests to your dinner parties?...read more
- Possible - What does it mean for you to know that Jesus is your Shepherd?...read more