What Sets Us FreeDo you ever try to earn points with God?
Top Music Videos
A Christian friend of mine was desperate for marriage and tired of waiting for God to deliver.
Finally, she entered into an intimate relationship with a man whose character and faith lacked nearly every requisite trait she'd once held dear. When the unhealthy romance finally ended, my friend felt dejected and humiliated. She looked back on the relationship with dismay, questioning her judgment and why she'd allowed her heart to wander so far away from God.
"I made a Hagar mistake," my friend later admitted. A "Hagar mistake" refers to the grievous error Old Testament dame Sarai made when she was unable to conceive. Sarai, in an attempt to rectify a situation which she felt God had ignored far too long, pushed her husband Abram into the arms of another woman, their Egyptian maidservant Hagar (Genesis 16:1-3). Hagar bore Abram's child, a son named Ishmael.
Also born were lethal doses of jealousy and contempt between Sarai and Hagar for years to come. When Sarai took her unfulfilled longings into her own hands, she couldn't see the agony that would follow. Tony Fetchel, a former Los Angeles pastor whose own Hagar mistake nearly cost him his marriage wrote, "Though what we see in our marriages or families may not look how we want it to, when we want it to, we fail miserably when we try and supplement our wisdom for God's. Whether we're trying to satisfy unmet needs, or doing what we think to be the right thing to serve the plan of God, the reality is, our decisions have consequences." Today and always, remember that you can avoid much turmoil by trusting God instead of yourself! , Roxanne Robbins
CLICK HERE to visit OurDailyJourney.org
- What Sets Us Free - Do you ever try to earn points with God?...read more
- Washed - In what ways is God calling you to visibly represent Him to someone else?...read more
- Sweet Music - What things have you been trying to handle without prayer?...read more
- Laughter - How do joy and laughter reveal the heart of God?...read more
- Powerful Patience - How can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?...read more
- Overwhelmed - What has sunk your spirits today?...read more
- Greater - How does the knowledge that God is greater than our storms impact the way you feel?...read more
- Voice of Reason - How do you respond to the rage of others?...read more
- Source of Truth - What does Scripture reveal about the issues on your mind today?...read more
- Little Things - Do you measure yourself and others according to God’s standards or the world’s?...read more
- Jesus the Reconciler - What does it add to your understanding of the cross to recognize that Jesus was enacting your reconciliation with God?...read more
- Tasting Heaven - How can you echo God’s future banquet by inviting diverse guests to your dinner parties?...read more
- Possible - What does it mean for you to know that Jesus is your Shepherd?...read more
- "Follow Me!" - Why are you following Jesus?...read more
- Here’s Hope - Why do we sometimes keep our struggles to ourselves?...read more
- Is Jesus Enough? - How do you react when you see injustice in the world, or when circumstances are against you and God seems to be silent?...read more