WashedIn what ways is God calling you to visibly represent Him to someone else?
Top Music Videos
If our technology had existed in Jesus' day, our Bibles might read: "Jesus asked His disciples, â€˜Who do people say that the Son of Man is?' but they were checking their e-mail and missed the question." Or "A third time He asked him, â€˜Simon . . . do you love Me?' Peter was hurt that Jesus asked the question a third time, but then his cell phone rang and he replied, â€˜I'm sorry, Lord, I've got to take this.' " Or on Pentecost, "Peter continued preaching for a long time, and a handful of people believed and were baptized while thousands more texted and sent out tweets on Twitter" (see Mark 8:27-28; John 21:15; Acts 2:40-41).
Technology can stifle our spiritual growth in subtle ways. The first Christians "devoted themselves to the apostles' teaching, and to fellowship, and to sharing in meals (including the Lord's Supper), and to prayer" (Acts 2:42).
None of these things come easily in our wired world. Who has the time or discipline to study the apostles' teaching and pray when cable television and the Internet jangle with unimportant yet interesting diversions? Let's face it, our lives would be little changed if we missed that latest score, review, or celebrity gossip.
Yet filling our minds with such minutiae comes at some cost, for we may unknowingly project our reading of the virtual world upon the eternal truths of God's Word. When everything is trivial, then anything is trivial. Fellowship and community are thought to be the strengths of our new media, but busy texters ignore us and intrusive phone calls interrupt us. We often sit in the presence of bodies whose minds are elsewhere.
Lest you think I'm simply a hater of today's technology, ask yourself this: When the Good Shepherd leads you beside "peaceful streams," do you "rest in green meadows" or reach for your iPhone? , Mike Wittmer
CLICK HERE to visit OurDailyJourney.org
- Washed - In what ways is God calling you to visibly represent Him to someone else?...read more
- Sweet Music - What things have you been trying to handle without prayer?...read more
- Laughter - How do joy and laughter reveal the heart of God?...read more
- Powerful Patience - How can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?...read more
- Overwhelmed - What has sunk your spirits today?...read more
- Greater - How does the knowledge that God is greater than our storms impact the way you feel?...read more
- Voice of Reason - How do you respond to the rage of others?...read more
- Source of Truth - What does Scripture reveal about the issues on your mind today?...read more
- Little Things - Do you measure yourself and others according to God’s standards or the world’s?...read more
- Jesus the Reconciler - What does it add to your understanding of the cross to recognize that Jesus was enacting your reconciliation with God?...read more
- Tasting Heaven - How can you echo God’s future banquet by inviting diverse guests to your dinner parties?...read more
- Possible - What does it mean for you to know that Jesus is your Shepherd?...read more
- "Follow Me!" - Why are you following Jesus?...read more
- Here’s Hope - Why do we sometimes keep our struggles to ourselves?...read more
- Is Jesus Enough? - How do you react when you see injustice in the world, or when circumstances are against you and God seems to be silent?...read more
- Greater Work - What life experience has most challenged your understanding of prayer?...read more