The Kingdom We Long ForWhat makes you most desperate for the fullness of God’s kingdom to arrive?
Top Music Videos
1 Timothy 3:14
The Holy Spirit tells us clearly that in the last times some will turn
away from the true faith; they will follow deceptive
spirits and teachings that come from demons (4:1).
You’re having a Bible study with someone, and they
say, “I simply don’t believe in Jesus.” Or perhaps
you discover that a young person you’ve been
discipling is having premarital sex. And you wonder:
Have I done something wrong? Have I failed in my
efforts to teach God’s Word?
Ministering to people can lead to heartache. Yet Paul
exhorted Timothy (and us) not to give up, but to press
on in teaching others. He wrote that we need to neither
be an optimist nor a pessimist, but a realist. Let’s face it,
the Bible and experience reveal that some people will
turn from their faith in Jesus. So apostasy (renouncing
one’s faith) is not a surprising development, nor should
it be considered evidence that we’ve failed. Jesus said
in Matthew 24:11 that “many false prophets will appear
and will deceive many people.”
We also need to see that lost faith is all about spiritual
warfare. Paul described the heretics in Ephesus (1 Timothy
1:3) as those who “[followed] deceptive spirits and
teachings that come from demons” (4:1). The ultimate
origin of all deception is Satan. In 2 Corinthians 10:4, Paul
instructs, “We use God’s mighty weapons, not worldly
weapons, to knock down the strongholds of human
reasoning and to destroy false arguments.” What are God’s
mighty weapons? His Word and prayer.
Finally, we need to continue to teach the truth
(1 Timothy 4:6). In dealing with the false teaching in Ephesus, Paul told
Timothy to point the believers back to right doctrine—truth revealed from
Scripture regarding God, His ways, and His purposes.
It can be disappointing when people turn away from God, but His truth will
never disappoint us.
—Poh Fang Chia
In Colossians 2:6, read another example of how to correct false
How are you using right doctrine to correct wrong thoughts, values, and
behavior? How can you actively apply God’s truth to your life?
- The Kingdom We Long For - What makes you most desperate for the fullness of God’s kingdom to arrive?...read more
- Offering Refuge and Hope - How can you practically and prayerfully support refugees?...read more
- Songs Before Dawn - How will you use your voice to let the good news ring out today?...read more
- Uber Conversations - How do the Father, Son, and the Holy Spirit model a loving relationship?...read more
- Prayer on an Airplane - How can you prepare to share the hope you have in Jesus?...read more
- Adding Interest? - Is there something you’re holding back from God?...read more
- Lord of the Cosmos - What does Jesus being “Lord of the cosmos” mean for your future?...read more
- Farming Hope - What trial are you facing today?...read more
- Because of Sunday - How can you learn to imitate Jesus and His mindset as you face conflict?...read more
- Our Real and Present God - When have you grappled with questions about God’s nearness and presence?...read more
- Gift of Tears - What triggers your emotions?...read more
- Faith in the Fields - Jesus urged His disciples to tell people about Him for “the Kingdom of Heaven is near.”...read more
- Pizza and God's Presence - When do you feel most vulnerable?...read more
- Peace and Contentment - What changes could you make to better “seek the Kingdom of God above all else”?...read more
- Beauty of Diversity - Do your relationships reflect the beautiful diversity of the early church?...read more
- Starting Small - Read Philippians 1:6 and consider how God will finish the good work He started in you....read more