Clueless at the LightWhat would others say about my influence on them?
Top Music Videos
This miraculous sign at Cana in Galilee was the first time Jesus revealed His glory. And His disciples believed in Him (v.11).
Hymnwriter Edwin Hodder wrote, “Thy Word is like a deep, deep mine; and jewels rich and rare are hidden in its mighty depths for every searcher there.” Let’s dip deeply into God’s Word today as we consider Jesus’ first miracle (John 2:11). He turned water into wine at Cana, setting His public ministry into motion.
Prior to performing the miracle, Jesus stated, “Dear woman, that’s not our problem . . . My time has not yet come” (v.4). At first glance, Jesus’ reply to His mother Mary seems to be rude. But in John’s gospel, Jesus is often quoted as using time to point toward Calvary (7:6,8, 8:20, 12:23). In this instance, He knew that when He did the miracle, it would signal the start of His gradual journey to the cross. Jesus was thinking through the gravity of the situation. Was this the appropriate moment? Was it the right time?
In verse 12 we read, “After the wedding [Jesus] went to Capernaum for a few days with His mother, His brothers, and His disciples.” But where is Joseph, Jesus’ father? In a patriarchal society, Joseph’s name is surprisingly absent. Bible scholars agree that he had most likely died before this time. And the start of Jesus’ public ministry meant that He would need to lay aside His family obligations.
Speaking of family, early in Jesus’ public ministry neither James nor His other siblings appear to have been His followers. They had even tried to end His ministry and bring Him home to fulfill His responsibilities as the eldest son (Mark 3:31).
In all these things, we see that the miracle of turning water into wine held more significance than simply meeting a need. Jesus demonstrated what He demands of us—to love God more than our loved ones, more than our very life (Luke 14:26).
—Poh Fang Chia
Read Psalms 119:18 and see what the writer seeks from God as he studies His Word.
How does your life reflect that you love God above all else? How will you show your devotion to Him today?
- Clueless at the Light - What would others say about my influence on them?...read more
- Stinging Words - How have you experienced emotional or spiritual captivity?...read more
- Everyone Has a Story - Who needs you to listen to them? Make time for them today....read more
- Gateway of Hope - How has the rough stuff of your life kept you from hoping in God?...read more
- Philip Flunked - What specific truth about God could help you with a problem you’re currently facing?...read more
- Source of All Life - Every blessing comes from God....read more
- Trapped in Sin - How can you be set free and made right with God?...read more
- Hope Beyond Discouragement - How will you point others to the Source of Hope today?...read more
- Play Your Part - How can you encourage others to fulfill their calling?...read more
- Broken Community - How do we live out holiness without becoming judgmental of others?...read more
- Giving Out Love - How has God provided for you and those you love?...read more
- Assets that Matter - How can you submit more fully to the Holy Spirit’s refining work in your life?...read more
- The Skeptic - What doubt about God is most persistent in your thoughts?...read more
- Is God Necessary? - God is hidden but present, revealing Himself more fully to those who invite Him to stay....read more
- God's Promises - How has God kept His promises to you?...read more
- Greater Meaning - How is Jesus rescuing, transforming, and giving your life greater meaning?...read more