Warm WelcomeHow does warm hospitality reflect God’s loving heart?
Top Christian Music Videos
This miraculous sign at Cana in Galilee was the first time Jesus revealed His glory. And His disciples believed in Him (v.11).
Hymnwriter Edwin Hodder wrote, “Thy Word is like a deep, deep mine; and jewels rich and rare are hidden in its mighty depths for every searcher there.” Let’s dip deeply into God’s Word today as we consider Jesus’ first miracle (John 2:11). He turned water into wine at Cana, setting His public ministry into motion.
Prior to performing the miracle, Jesus stated, “Dear woman, that’s not our problem . . . My time has not yet come” (v.4). At first glance, Jesus’ reply to His mother Mary seems to be rude. But in John’s gospel, Jesus is often quoted as using time to point toward Calvary (7:6,8, 8:20, 12:23). In this instance, He knew that when He did the miracle, it would signal the start of His gradual journey to the cross. Jesus was thinking through the gravity of the situation. Was this the appropriate moment? Was it the right time?
In verse 12 we read, “After the wedding [Jesus] went to Capernaum for a few days with His mother, His brothers, and His disciples.” But where is Joseph, Jesus’ father? In a patriarchal society, Joseph’s name is surprisingly absent. Bible scholars agree that he had most likely died before this time. And the start of Jesus’ public ministry meant that He would need to lay aside His family obligations.
Speaking of family, early in Jesus’ public ministry neither James nor His other siblings appear to have been His followers. They had even tried to end His ministry and bring Him home to fulfill His responsibilities as the eldest son (Mark 3:31).
In all these things, we see that the miracle of turning water into wine held more significance than simply meeting a need. Jesus demonstrated what He demands of us—to love God more than our loved ones, more than our very life (Luke 14:26).
—Poh Fang Chia
Read Psalms 119:18 and see what the writer seeks from God as he studies His Word.
How does your life reflect that you love God above all else? How will you show your devotion to Him today?
- Warm Welcome - How does warm hospitality reflect God’s loving heart?...read more
- In the Gap - What has God equipped you with to intercede for others?...read more
- Confession and Blessing - How does repentance reveal our faith and trust in Jesus?...read more
- Breaking the Mold - How are you sharing Jesus with the next generation?...read more
- Diseased Hearts - What are the implications of only God truly knowing the heart and being able to cure it?...read more
- To Make Them Better - To follow Jesus means we allow God to transform the whole of our life....read more
- Looking for Work? - Consider how God has uniquely equipped you....read more
- Out of the Blue - God intervened before we were aware of our need....read more
- Joy and Sadness - Is there sadness in your life you need to embrace?...read more
- Passion Unleashed - What gifts and talents has God given you?...read more
- Thankful for What? - How do your difficult times more clearly illustrate God’s power and redemption?...read more
- Where Desire Takes Us - What desires have you been wrestling with?...read more
- Nursing a Grudge - Why is it vital for you to bring your bitter feelings to God?...read more
- A New Person - What regret do you need to give to Jesus?...read more
- Wexting? - For what challenge do you need to seek God’s wisdom today?...read more
- A Better Question - What kinds of questions do you ask God most often?...read more