Laying Down Our LivesWhat sometimes holds you back from laying down your life for others?
Top Christian Music Videos
This miraculous sign at Cana in Galilee was the first time Jesus revealed His glory. And His disciples believed in Him (v.11).
Hymnwriter Edwin Hodder wrote, “Thy Word is like a deep, deep mine; and jewels rich and rare are hidden in its mighty depths for every searcher there.” Let’s dip deeply into God’s Word today as we consider Jesus’ first miracle (John 2:11). He turned water into wine at Cana, setting His public ministry into motion.
Prior to performing the miracle, Jesus stated, “Dear woman, that’s not our problem . . . My time has not yet come” (v.4). At first glance, Jesus’ reply to His mother Mary seems to be rude. But in John’s gospel, Jesus is often quoted as using time to point toward Calvary (7:6,8, 8:20, 12:23). In this instance, He knew that when He did the miracle, it would signal the start of His gradual journey to the cross. Jesus was thinking through the gravity of the situation. Was this the appropriate moment? Was it the right time?
In verse 12 we read, “After the wedding [Jesus] went to Capernaum for a few days with His mother, His brothers, and His disciples.” But where is Joseph, Jesus’ father? In a patriarchal society, Joseph’s name is surprisingly absent. Bible scholars agree that he had most likely died before this time. And the start of Jesus’ public ministry meant that He would need to lay aside His family obligations.
Speaking of family, early in Jesus’ public ministry neither James nor His other siblings appear to have been His followers. They had even tried to end His ministry and bring Him home to fulfill His responsibilities as the eldest son (Mark 3:31).
In all these things, we see that the miracle of turning water into wine held more significance than simply meeting a need. Jesus demonstrated what He demands of us—to love God more than our loved ones, more than our very life (Luke 14:26).
—Poh Fang Chia
Read Psalms 119:18 and see what the writer seeks from God as he studies His Word.
How does your life reflect that you love God above all else? How will you show your devotion to Him today?
- Laying Down Our Lives - What sometimes holds you back from laying down your life for others?...read more
- A Little Farther - Do you hear much about lament in your local church?...read more
- Distraction - What’s your biggest distraction as you strive to follow Jesus?...read more
- Intentional Defiance - Be encouraged by a God who is with you to discipline and lead you away from wrong turns....read more
- The Family Name - How do you show appreciation for the reconciliation God has offered?...read more
- Unwavering Love - What does it mean for you to rest in God’s unwavering love?...read more
- Far Better - What are you most looking forward to when God calls you home?...read more
- A Good Name - When you consider your reputation, what might you change to better reflect Jesus to others?...read more
- Light the Path - How have others illumined the path for you to Jesus?...read more
- More Than Feelings - God created us to live in the fullness of His image—emotions included....read more
- Of Penguins and People - Who needs your committed, enduring love today?...read more
- Big and Small - What do you do with your worries?...read more
- A Way Out - Do you have a tendency to overestimate or underestimate?...read more
- Extravagant Love - When have you encountered God’s extravagant love?...read more
- Income vs. Investment - How will you be “rich in good works” today?...read more
- Famous in God’s Eyes - Who needs you to humbly, lovingly serve them today?...read more