Representing JesusIn what practical ways can you effectively represent Christ?
Top Music Videos
This miraculous sign at Cana in Galilee was the first time Jesus revealed His glory. And His disciples believed in Him (v.11).
Hymnwriter Edwin Hodder wrote, “Thy Word is like a deep, deep mine; and jewels rich and rare are hidden in its mighty depths for every searcher there.” Let’s dip deeply into God’s Word today as we consider Jesus’ first miracle (John 2:11). He turned water into wine at Cana, setting His public ministry into motion.
Prior to performing the miracle, Jesus stated, “Dear woman, that’s not our problem . . . My time has not yet come” (v.4). At first glance, Jesus’ reply to His mother Mary seems to be rude. But in John’s gospel, Jesus is often quoted as using time to point toward Calvary (7:6,8, 8:20, 12:23). In this instance, He knew that when He did the miracle, it would signal the start of His gradual journey to the cross. Jesus was thinking through the gravity of the situation. Was this the appropriate moment? Was it the right time?
In verse 12 we read, “After the wedding [Jesus] went to Capernaum for a few days with His mother, His brothers, and His disciples.” But where is Joseph, Jesus’ father? In a patriarchal society, Joseph’s name is surprisingly absent. Bible scholars agree that he had most likely died before this time. And the start of Jesus’ public ministry meant that He would need to lay aside His family obligations.
Speaking of family, early in Jesus’ public ministry neither James nor His other siblings appear to have been His followers. They had even tried to end His ministry and bring Him home to fulfill His responsibilities as the eldest son (Mark 3:31).
In all these things, we see that the miracle of turning water into wine held more significance than simply meeting a need. Jesus demonstrated what He demands of us—to love God more than our loved ones, more than our very life (Luke 14:26).
—Poh Fang Chia
Read Psalms 119:18 and see what the writer seeks from God as he studies His Word.
How does your life reflect that you love God above all else? How will you show your devotion to Him today?
- Representing Jesus - In what practical ways can you effectively represent Christ?...read more
- Myth No More - Why must God judge His enemies and make things right?...read more
- Hidden Sins - How have you been trying to deal with your sin?...read more
- The Kingdom We Long For - What makes you most desperate for the fullness of God’s kingdom to arrive?...read more
- Offering Refuge and Hope - How can you practically and prayerfully support refugees?...read more
- Songs Before Dawn - How will you use your voice to let the good news ring out today?...read more
- Uber Conversations - How do the Father, Son, and the Holy Spirit model a loving relationship?...read more
- Prayer on an Airplane - How can you prepare to share the hope you have in Jesus?...read more
- Adding Interest? - Is there something you’re holding back from God?...read more
- Lord of the Cosmos - What does Jesus being “Lord of the cosmos” mean for your future?...read more
- Farming Hope - What trial are you facing today?...read more
- Because of Sunday - How can you learn to imitate Jesus and His mindset as you face conflict?...read more
- Our Real and Present God - When have you grappled with questions about God’s nearness and presence?...read more
- Gift of Tears - What triggers your emotions?...read more
- Faith in the Fields - Jesus urged His disciples to tell people about Him for “the Kingdom of Heaven is near.”...read more
- Pizza and God's Presence - When do you feel most vulnerable?...read more