Choosing to ForgetWhat painful memory is holding you back from peace with God?
Top Christian Music Videos
This miraculous sign at Cana in Galilee was the first time Jesus revealed His glory. And His disciples believed in Him (v.11).
Hymnwriter Edwin Hodder wrote, “Thy Word is like a deep, deep mine; and jewels rich and rare are hidden in its mighty depths for every searcher there.” Let’s dip deeply into God’s Word today as we consider Jesus’ first miracle (John 2:11). He turned water into wine at Cana, setting His public ministry into motion.
Prior to performing the miracle, Jesus stated, “Dear woman, that’s not our problem . . . My time has not yet come” (v.4). At first glance, Jesus’ reply to His mother Mary seems to be rude. But in John’s gospel, Jesus is often quoted as using time to point toward Calvary (7:6,8, 8:20, 12:23). In this instance, He knew that when He did the miracle, it would signal the start of His gradual journey to the cross. Jesus was thinking through the gravity of the situation. Was this the appropriate moment? Was it the right time?
In verse 12 we read, “After the wedding [Jesus] went to Capernaum for a few days with His mother, His brothers, and His disciples.” But where is Joseph, Jesus’ father? In a patriarchal society, Joseph’s name is surprisingly absent. Bible scholars agree that he had most likely died before this time. And the start of Jesus’ public ministry meant that He would need to lay aside His family obligations.
Speaking of family, early in Jesus’ public ministry neither James nor His other siblings appear to have been His followers. They had even tried to end His ministry and bring Him home to fulfill His responsibilities as the eldest son (Mark 3:31).
In all these things, we see that the miracle of turning water into wine held more significance than simply meeting a need. Jesus demonstrated what He demands of us—to love God more than our loved ones, more than our very life (Luke 14:26).
—Poh Fang Chia
Read Psalms 119:18 and see what the writer seeks from God as he studies His Word.
How does your life reflect that you love God above all else? How will you show your devotion to Him today?
- Choosing to Forget - What painful memory is holding you back from peace with God?...read more
- Not about Fame - How has Jesus changed your life?...read more
- Faithful and True - What experiences have shaped your understanding of what it means to be faithful?...read more
- Living Houses of Prayer - What does it mean for you to be a living house of prayer?...read more
- Test of Courage - Read Proverbs 21:30-31 to see how true success depends on God....read more
- Calling on the Air - In what ways have you called on God for direction ?...read more
- Only the Beginning - What hope has God brought you today?...read more
- Disciplined for Freedom - Praise God and display your gratitude to Him today!...read more
- What Will We Become? - What does it mean for you to be God’s masterpiece?...read more
- Taking the Hate - Which portions of the Bible trouble you the most?...read more
- Not a Distant God - Read Romans 8:31-39 to be reminded of the intimate love God has for us....read more
- A Greater Power - Read Jeremiah 31:20-25 and consider the power of God’s restoration...read more
- Anger Management - Read Matthew 5:21-22 to see what Jesus said about anger and sin....read more
- Moving Past Memories - How can experiencing God’s forgiveness for our sin help us to extend grace to others?...read more
- There is Hope - What has caused you to lose hope recently?...read more
- Transformed! - How has God’s power helped you overcome fear?...read more