Laying Our Lives DownHow has Jesus’ example inspired you to freely give of yourself?
Top Music Videos
Predator & Prey
She seduced him with her pretty speech and enticed him with her
I watched a ladybug devour an aphid. First, she pierced
its midsection and chewed for a while. When her prey
was mortally wounded, the ladybug munched up the
left side of the aphid’s body and devoured it.
In the book of Proverbs, Solomon described the
interaction between a female predator and her sexual
prey. Although he wrote the passage to caution his son,
men and women alike can learn to spot the aggressive—
yet seductive—behavior of promiscuous prowlers.
Solomon’s story in Proverbs 7 featured a lady of the
evening who was the “brash, rebellious type, never
content to stay at home” (v.11). She was constantly out on
the town looking for “a good time,” disregarding the laws
of decent behavior. Although some of us may be drawn
to people who have a rebellious streak, in the end, those
who disrespect the law won’t respect us either.
Predators often show their lack of respect through
inappropriate advances. The prostitute Solomon
described “threw her arms around [a complete stranger]
and kissed him” (v.13). People who make us feel
uncomfortable with touchy-feely behavior or seem too
physically familiar should be avoided.
As if hugs and kisses weren’t enough to snare her
prey, the huntress used this lame pickup line to entice
the guy: “You’re the one I was looking for!” (v.15).
Then she described what they could do in private. She
“seduced him with her pretty speech and enticed him with her flattery” (v.21).
This ferocious female’s behavior was possible partly because her prey “lacked
common sense” (v.7). He was crossing the street near her house at twilight.
God’s Word commands us to get “wisdom” and “develop good judgment”
(Proverbs 4:5), because wisdom can protect us from people whose “bedroom is
the den of death” (7:27).
—Jennifer Benson Schuldt
Read Genesis 39:8 to see how one man resisted the sexual
advances of a determined woman.
How can we reduce our risk of encountering sexual predators? If you
see any of the sexually aggressive person’s behavior in yourself,
how can you change your behavior?
- Laying Our Lives Down - How has Jesus’ example inspired you to freely give of yourself?...read more
- "Brutiful" - How has God worked in “brutiful” ways in your life?...read more
- The First Day—Again - How does Jesus’ resurrection infuse you with fresh hope?...read more
- Clueless at the Light - What would others say about my influence on them?...read more
- Stinging Words - How have you experienced emotional or spiritual captivity?...read more
- Everyone Has a Story - Who needs you to listen to them? Make time for them today....read more
- Gateway of Hope - How has the rough stuff of your life kept you from hoping in God?...read more
- Philip Flunked - What specific truth about God could help you with a problem you’re currently facing?...read more
- Source of All Life - Every blessing comes from God....read more
- Trapped in Sin - How can you be set free and made right with God?...read more
- Hope Beyond Discouragement - How will you point others to the Source of Hope today?...read more
- Play Your Part - How can you encourage others to fulfill their calling?...read more
- Broken Community - How do we live out holiness without becoming judgmental of others?...read more
- Giving Out Love - How has God provided for you and those you love?...read more
- Assets that Matter - How can you submit more fully to the Holy Spirit’s refining work in your life?...read more
- The Skeptic - What doubt about God is most persistent in your thoughts?...read more