FearlessHow can you learn to trust God more deeply and follow Him more courageously?
Top Christian Music Videos
Predator & Prey
She seduced him with her pretty speech and enticed him with her
I watched a ladybug devour an aphid. First, she pierced
its midsection and chewed for a while. When her prey
was mortally wounded, the ladybug munched up the
left side of the aphid’s body and devoured it.
In the book of Proverbs, Solomon described the
interaction between a female predator and her sexual
prey. Although he wrote the passage to caution his son,
men and women alike can learn to spot the aggressive—
yet seductive—behavior of promiscuous prowlers.
Solomon’s story in Proverbs 7 featured a lady of the
evening who was the “brash, rebellious type, never
content to stay at home” (v.11). She was constantly out on
the town looking for “a good time,” disregarding the laws
of decent behavior. Although some of us may be drawn
to people who have a rebellious streak, in the end, those
who disrespect the law won’t respect us either.
Predators often show their lack of respect through
inappropriate advances. The prostitute Solomon
described “threw her arms around [a complete stranger]
and kissed him” (v.13). People who make us feel
uncomfortable with touchy-feely behavior or seem too
physically familiar should be avoided.
As if hugs and kisses weren’t enough to snare her
prey, the huntress used this lame pickup line to entice
the guy: “You’re the one I was looking for!” (v.15).
Then she described what they could do in private. She
“seduced him with her pretty speech and enticed him with her flattery” (v.21).
This ferocious female’s behavior was possible partly because her prey “lacked
common sense” (v.7). He was crossing the street near her house at twilight.
God’s Word commands us to get “wisdom” and “develop good judgment”
(Proverbs 4:5), because wisdom can protect us from people whose “bedroom is
the den of death” (7:27).
—Jennifer Benson Schuldt
Read Genesis 39:8 to see how one man resisted the sexual
advances of a determined woman.
How can we reduce our risk of encountering sexual predators? If you
see any of the sexually aggressive person’s behavior in yourself,
how can you change your behavior?
- Fearless - How can you learn to trust God more deeply and follow Him more courageously?...read more
- Next Steps - Have you ever made a choice or taken an unwise risk that caused you pain?...read more
- Cleansing and Calling - What does it mean to follow God’s calling in your life?...read more
- Finding Refuge - What does it mean for God to be your true refuge?...read more
- Why Pray? - What do you need to ask God for today?...read more
- Love and Adoption - What does it mean to you to be adopted by your heavenly Father?...read more
- Worship and Service - Why is it so vital for you to worship God with all you are?...read more
- Holy Desperation - Do you have a personal relationship with Jesus?...read more
- Insisting on Joy - What would it look like for you to insist on joy this week?...read more
- Hot Water - Where in your spiritual life have you become complacent?...read more
- Remade - Do any areas of your life need to be remade?...read more
- God’s Renewing Presence - What can you do to experience God’s renewing presence today?...read more
- Enduring Hope - Have you lost hope and become disillusioned with life?...read more
- Grasping Grace - What does God’s grace mean to you?...read more
- Clear View - How can you seek God’s wisdom and direction today?...read more
- Led by the Spirit - How do you distinguish between the leading of the Spirit and the whims and desires of your own heart?...read more