Sound SensitiveJust as with Samuel, may we know the presence of God throughout the day.
Top Music Videos
The book of Malachi was written around 420 BC as a warning to the nation of Israel. God accused the priests of offering "defiled" sacrifices (Malachi 1:7). Specifically, He was concerned with the nation's direct disobedience in not giving Him their best (v.8), and for withholding the tithes He had commanded them to give for His work (3:8-14).
So what does this have to do with us? We don't bring God animal sacrifices. The death and resurrection of His Son Jesus Christ was the one-time sacrifice for our sins (Hebrews 10:1-18). Malachi doesn't apply to us, right? Surely we're not guilty of giving God blemished sacrifices! Or are we?
Let's look at just a couple of areas where I give God "blemished sacrifices":
Time. I get up in the morning and have a hundred things to do. So I race into my day planning to take time to pray and read God's Word in a minute. All throughout the day, I sense a nagging urge to spend time with God. Eight or nine hundred minutes later I'm tired and ready for bed. Not only did I not give God second-best, I didn't give Him anything!
Money. There are so many things I need! I tell myself I'll give money to the Lord's work next month, when I can afford it. But the biblical principle is clear: God wants our best in every area. He doesn't need my money; He wants me to invest it in His work so that He'll have my heart. "Wherever your treasure is, there the desires of your heart will also be" (Matthew 6:21).
Because of Jesus' once-for-all sacrifice, we don't sacrifice bulls and goats anymore. But God should still come first in every aspect of our lives, time, money, talent, friends, choices. What sacrifices do you need to make today? , Tim Gustafson, Our Daily Journey
CLICK HERE to visit OurDailyJourney.org
- Sound Sensitive - Just as with Samuel, may we know the presence of God throughout the day....read more
- Rich in Good Works - How can you encourage other believers in Jesus to “be rich in good works”?...read more
- What Sets Us Free - Do you ever try to earn points with God?...read more
- Washed - In what ways is God calling you to visibly represent Him to someone else?...read more
- Sweet Music - What things have you been trying to handle without prayer?...read more
- Laughter - How do joy and laughter reveal the heart of God?...read more
- Powerful Patience - How can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?...read more
- Overwhelmed - What has sunk your spirits today?...read more
- Greater - How does the knowledge that God is greater than our storms impact the way you feel?...read more
- Voice of Reason - How do you respond to the rage of others?...read more
- Source of Truth - What does Scripture reveal about the issues on your mind today?...read more
- Little Things - Do you measure yourself and others according to God’s standards or the world’s?...read more
- Jesus the Reconciler - What does it add to your understanding of the cross to recognize that Jesus was enacting your reconciliation with God?...read more
- Tasting Heaven - How can you echo God’s future banquet by inviting diverse guests to your dinner parties?...read more
- Possible - What does it mean for you to know that Jesus is your Shepherd?...read more
- "Follow Me!" - Why are you following Jesus?...read more