Powerful PatienceHow can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?
Top Music Videos
Segregating ourselves along ethnic and social lines is a common human practice. We're simply more comfortable around "our kind" of people, and we tend to keep our distance from those who seem different from us.
In his letter to the church at Philippi, the apostle Paul addressed the challenges faced by a group of people from mixed backgrounds. Within this particular group, there were people of Asian, Greek, and Roman heritage. The New Testament also specifically mentions a businesswoman who sold expensive cloth to the rich, a slave girl who was demon-possessed, and a prison guard (Acts 16).
Paul's answer to the question of how to blend their multiple ancestries and social classes was the unity they shared in Christ. He wrote, "Above all, you must live as citizens of heaven, conducting yourselves in a manner worthy of the Good News about Christ. Then, whether I come and see you again or only hear about you, I will know that you are standing together with one spirit and one purpose, fighting together for the faith, which is the Good News" (Philippians 1:27). Unity was at the top of Paul's list for this diverse fellowship. It's the same message he stressed to the church in Galatia: "There is no longer Jew or Gentile, slave or free, male and female. For you are all one in Christ Jesus" (Galatians 3:28). The apostle wasn't denying the value of one's ethnic background or gender. He was, however, lifting up and affirming the spiritual oneness that is found in Jesus. Here's where we share common ground, regardless of our race, social status, or gender. Ethnicity and social class will always possess the potential to divide. But our shared unity in Jesus has the power to supersede our differences and draw us together for a greater purpose. , Jeff Olson
CLICK HERE to visit OurDailyJourney.org
- Powerful Patience - How can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?...read more
- Overwhelmed - What has sunk your spirits today?...read more
- Greater - How does the knowledge that God is greater than our storms impact the way you feel?...read more
- Voice of Reason - How do you respond to the rage of others?...read more
- Source of Truth - What does Scripture reveal about the issues on your mind today?...read more
- Little Things - Do you measure yourself and others according to God’s standards or the world’s?...read more
- Jesus the Reconciler - What does it add to your understanding of the cross to recognize that Jesus was enacting your reconciliation with God?...read more
- Tasting Heaven - How can you echo God’s future banquet by inviting diverse guests to your dinner parties?...read more
- Possible - What does it mean for you to know that Jesus is your Shepherd?...read more
- "Follow Me!" - Why are you following Jesus?...read more
- Here’s Hope - Why do we sometimes keep our struggles to ourselves?...read more
- Is Jesus Enough? - How do you react when you see injustice in the world, or when circumstances are against you and God seems to be silent?...read more
- Greater Work - What life experience has most challenged your understanding of prayer?...read more
- Awe - Where and when do you find yourself most in awe of God?...read more
- Purpose - How does the apostle Paul’s life demonstrate God’s “purpose” to you?...read more
- Broken Down & Built Up - What might God be accomplishing in your life through a recent difficult experience?...read more