Timeless GrooveWhat lesser gods are you being tempted to follow?
Top Christian Music Videos
Not Being a “Kidult”
Don’t let anyone think less of you because you are young. Be an example to all believers in what you say, in the way you live, in your love, your faith, and your purity (v.12).
In 2005, two teenagers started TheRebelution.com website to encourage fellow young people to exceed low expectations and to do “hard things.” Citing 1 Timothy 4:12, one of its founders said, “As young people we are called to be exemplary in all areas of life. [But] our generation is falling incredibly short of that calling. Instead of serving as the launching pad of life, the teen years are seen as a vacation from responsibility.”
Many teens have grown up to become what is known in Taiwan as the cao mei zu (Strawberry Generation)—they look good on the outside, but are easily bruised. In the US, they’re known as “kidults.”
Each generation needs to heed the call of Paul, “Don’t let anyone think less of you because you are young” (v.12). Being young isn’t an excuse for shirking responsibility or not giving God your very best. Instead, if you’re young, you can be an example to all of us. Not everyone will like you. Some may even jeer at you or call you names. But you will inspire all believers to stay true to God amid a culture that resists Him.
Paul stated five areas in which we’re to be exemplary: speech, lifestyle, love, faith, and purity. Is our speech marked by grace and truth? Do our priorities and behavior testify to our commitment to Jesus Christ? Are we self-satisfying or self-sacrificing? Do we exhibit faith in God as we face challenges? Do we fulfill the desires of our flesh or are we morally pure—not just outwardly but also in our thought-life?
If you’re young, choose to rise above low expectations. And may all believers, regardless of age, follow God in obedience, pursue godly character, and build momentum for an amazing future!
—Poh Fang Chia
Read 1 Samuel 17:32-37 and see how one young person set a positive example in both his faith and speech.
How have you been growing in spiritual maturity? What mindset, attitude, or behavior do you need to change so that you can be an example to other believers?
- Timeless Groove - What lesser gods are you being tempted to follow?...read more
- Running the Race - How deliberate are you in your spiritual training?...read more
- Out of Love - How did God show love for us through His sacrifice?...read more
- God's Masterpiece - What does it mean for God’s people to be a masterpiece?...read more
- Prayerful Retreat - How often do you have a “prayerful retreat” with God?...read more
- Laying Down Our Lives - What sometimes holds you back from laying down your life for others?...read more
- A Little Farther - Do you hear much about lament in your local church?...read more
- Distraction - What’s your biggest distraction as you strive to follow Jesus?...read more
- Intentional Defiance - Be encouraged by a God who is with you to discipline and lead you away from wrong turns....read more
- The Family Name - How do you show appreciation for the reconciliation God has offered?...read more
- Unwavering Love - What does it mean for you to rest in God’s unwavering love?...read more
- Far Better - What are you most looking forward to when God calls you home?...read more
- A Good Name - When you consider your reputation, what might you change to better reflect Jesus to others?...read more
- Light the Path - How have others illumined the path for you to Jesus?...read more
- More Than Feelings - God created us to live in the fullness of His image—emotions included....read more
- Of Penguins and People - Who needs your committed, enduring love today?...read more