Always ThereDo you believe that the Lord is always with you?
Top Music Videos
Not Being a “Kidult”
Don’t let anyone think less of you because you are young. Be an example to all believers in what you say, in the way you live, in your love, your faith, and your purity (v.12).
In 2005, two teenagers started TheRebelution.com website to encourage fellow young people to exceed low expectations and to do “hard things.” Citing 1 Timothy 4:12, one of its founders said, “As young people we are called to be exemplary in all areas of life. [But] our generation is falling incredibly short of that calling. Instead of serving as the launching pad of life, the teen years are seen as a vacation from responsibility.”
Many teens have grown up to become what is known in Taiwan as the cao mei zu (Strawberry Generation)—they look good on the outside, but are easily bruised. In the US, they’re known as “kidults.”
Each generation needs to heed the call of Paul, “Don’t let anyone think less of you because you are young” (v.12). Being young isn’t an excuse for shirking responsibility or not giving God your very best. Instead, if you’re young, you can be an example to all of us. Not everyone will like you. Some may even jeer at you or call you names. But you will inspire all believers to stay true to God amid a culture that resists Him.
Paul stated five areas in which we’re to be exemplary: speech, lifestyle, love, faith, and purity. Is our speech marked by grace and truth? Do our priorities and behavior testify to our commitment to Jesus Christ? Are we self-satisfying or self-sacrificing? Do we exhibit faith in God as we face challenges? Do we fulfill the desires of our flesh or are we morally pure—not just outwardly but also in our thought-life?
If you’re young, choose to rise above low expectations. And may all believers, regardless of age, follow God in obedience, pursue godly character, and build momentum for an amazing future!
—Poh Fang Chia
Read 1 Samuel 17:32-37 and see how one young person set a positive example in both his faith and speech.
How have you been growing in spiritual maturity? What mindset, attitude, or behavior do you need to change so that you can be an example to other believers?
- Always There - Do you believe that the Lord is always with you?...read more
- Seasons of Grief - Are you going through a season of grief where you are struggling to grieve?...read more
- John's Question - What steps can you take to seek God’s perspective in a current challenging situation?...read more
- Victory - What battles are you facing these days?...read more
- Starting Over - Have you experienced a fresh start in Jesus?...read more
- Genuine Love - How have you experienced the reality of God’s love?...read more
- Straight Up - Is there a current situation in your life where you’ve been less than honest?...read more
- He Saw Something - Have you seen something so true that you would be willing to live or die for it?...read more
- Higher Law, Higher Love - What choice of conscience faces you today?...read more
- Stay or Run Away - How might God want you to display His glory in your life?...read more
- Jealousy and Generosity - To help His followers understand what the kingdom of heaven is like and the dangers of comparison obsession, Jesus told a parable about a landowner who hired workers to tend his vineyard....read more
- On the Fringe - Who sits alone at church that you can befriend?...read more
- Taming Anger - Think back to a time when you lashed out in anger, or when someone lashed out at you....read more
- Full of Joy - How can you tap into God’s joy more fully?...read more
- Mistaken vs. Hard Hearts - How have you experienced a hard heart toward God in your relationship with Him?...read more
- The Narrow Door - How can salvation be a free gift simply received and yet still require our response?...read more