Sweet MusicWhat things have you been trying to handle without prayer?
Top Music Videos
Every spring, we plant nearly 40 tomato plants. Every fall, when we find that we have more tomatoes than we can possibly eat, can, or turn into sauce or salsa, we give lots away to grateful friends and family. It makes me wonder, however, why our thankful recipients, lovers of tomatoes that they are, don't grow even one plant of their own? It's not appropriate to say that they're lazy, for they work hard in other pursuits. So I think it's simply a case of inertia. Despite hearty appetites for tomatoes, they never get around to doing anything about it.
How much of our lives are mediocre because of inertia? We would like to pray more, enjoy deeper intimacy in our marriages and friendships, take more outings with our children, read more books, find a more satisfying job, eat better, and exercise more, but we never actually do anything about it. So we continue to coast, settling for the way things are now rather than working toward what they could be.
I'm challenged by Paul, who, being far more mature in his spiritual walk, humbly declared, "I have not achieved it, but I focus on this one thing: Forgetting the past and looking forward to what lies ahead, I press on to reach the end of the race and receive the heavenly prize for which God, through Christ Jesus, is calling us" (Philippians 3:13-14).
What area of your life would you like to move beyond mediocrity? If you continue to do what you've always done, you're likely to get what you've always gotten. So make a change. Go ahead, pursue a stronger marriage or better parenting or a closer walk with God. What steps can you take in that direction? First commit your goal to God in prayer. Then write it down. Now go do it, and press on! , Mike Wittmer, Our Daily Journey
CLICK HERE to visit OurDailyJourney.org
- Sweet Music - What things have you been trying to handle without prayer?...read more
- Laughter - How do joy and laughter reveal the heart of God?...read more
- Powerful Patience - How can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?...read more
- Overwhelmed - What has sunk your spirits today?...read more
- Greater - How does the knowledge that God is greater than our storms impact the way you feel?...read more
- Voice of Reason - How do you respond to the rage of others?...read more
- Source of Truth - What does Scripture reveal about the issues on your mind today?...read more
- Little Things - Do you measure yourself and others according to God’s standards or the world’s?...read more
- Jesus the Reconciler - What does it add to your understanding of the cross to recognize that Jesus was enacting your reconciliation with God?...read more
- Tasting Heaven - How can you echo God’s future banquet by inviting diverse guests to your dinner parties?...read more
- Possible - What does it mean for you to know that Jesus is your Shepherd?...read more
- "Follow Me!" - Why are you following Jesus?...read more
- Here’s Hope - Why do we sometimes keep our struggles to ourselves?...read more
- Is Jesus Enough? - How do you react when you see injustice in the world, or when circumstances are against you and God seems to be silent?...read more
- Greater Work - What life experience has most challenged your understanding of prayer?...read more
- Awe - Where and when do you find yourself most in awe of God?...read more