Sound SensitiveJust as with Samuel, may we know the presence of God throughout the day.
Top Music Videos
A confused, middle-aged man flagged down a bus driver in Seattle. He wore expensive clothes and spoke French, German, and English, but he did not know who he was. He remembered slices of his life: living in Slovakia, teaching English in China, and last night's sleep in Discovery Park, but he could not remember his own name.
The authorities researched the man's story on the Internet, and within five hours they had discovered that his name was Edward Lighthart. But learning his identity did not get Edward out of the woods. He looked at an old picture and could see beyond a doubt that he was Edward Lighthart, yet he couldn't make the emotional and psychological connection with his identity. He struggled to own who he was. Many of us can sympathize with his plight. We know intellectually that we are the children of God, adopted by grace into His family, and yet we emotionally relate to our Father as slaves who must earn His acceptance by our own effort. We mistakenly suppose that our integrity or servant's heart attracted God's attention, and so we try harder in a futile attempt to achieve what we can only receive.
We hear that we have "become a new person" in Christ so that "the old life is gone; a new life has begun" (2 Corinthians 5:17). We read that our "body is the temple of the Holy Spirit" (1 Corinthians 6:19). We learn that "we died and were buried with Christ" (Romans 6:4). But we look at our sin and can scarcely believe it.
Like Edward Lighthart, we need to continue to look at our true picture. Don't be misled by what you have or have not done. Embrace your true identity. Own it. Then ask God for grace to become what you already are. , Mike Wittmer
CLICK HERE to visit OurDailyJourney.org
- Sound Sensitive - Just as with Samuel, may we know the presence of God throughout the day....read more
- Rich in Good Works - How can you encourage other believers in Jesus to “be rich in good works”?...read more
- What Sets Us Free - Do you ever try to earn points with God?...read more
- Washed - In what ways is God calling you to visibly represent Him to someone else?...read more
- Sweet Music - What things have you been trying to handle without prayer?...read more
- Laughter - How do joy and laughter reveal the heart of God?...read more
- Powerful Patience - How can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?...read more
- Overwhelmed - What has sunk your spirits today?...read more
- Greater - How does the knowledge that God is greater than our storms impact the way you feel?...read more
- Voice of Reason - How do you respond to the rage of others?...read more
- Source of Truth - What does Scripture reveal about the issues on your mind today?...read more
- Little Things - Do you measure yourself and others according to God’s standards or the world’s?...read more
- Jesus the Reconciler - What does it add to your understanding of the cross to recognize that Jesus was enacting your reconciliation with God?...read more
- Tasting Heaven - How can you echo God’s future banquet by inviting diverse guests to your dinner parties?...read more
- Possible - What does it mean for you to know that Jesus is your Shepherd?...read more
- "Follow Me!" - Why are you following Jesus?...read more