WashedIn what ways is God calling you to visibly represent Him to someone else?
Top Music Videos
I live in a neighborhood where people mow their lawns, plant flowers, and clean up after their dogs. But sometimes at night, we hear eerie noises. I'm not talking about the neighbor's beagle yelping at the moon. This is creepy howling that is totally untamed. For our neighborhood is plagued by coyotes.
Sometimes when they wake me up, I lie there and think about the coyote wildness inside us. We all have it, it's part of our spiritual DNA. Paul explained it this way: "There is [a] power within me that is at war with my mind. This power makes me a slave to the sin that is still within me" (Romans 7:23). Paul's transparency helps us see that even Christians who walk with God struggle with unruliness in their souls.
Fortunately, he also reminds us that we have no obligation to do what our sinful nature urges us to do (8:12). If you're like me, you might forget that you have a choice, you don't have to listen to the whispers of your wild side: A few more glasses of wine won't hurt. . . .
Just glancing at that woman is no big deal . . . While we do have a choice when it comes to sin, we can't make the right call consistently without the power of the Holy Spirit. As believers in Jesus, we have God's Holy Spirit alive within us, but we have to allow Him to do His job. Paul said, "Let the Holy Spirit guide your lives. Then you won't be doing what your sinful nature craves" (Galatians 5:16).
Untamed, like those coyotes, "the [sin nature] never did obey God's laws and it never will" (Romans 8:7). With the Holy Spirit's help, we can exchange our reckless tendencies for God's peace, a better option than lying awake at night, listening to the call of the wild. , Jennifer Benson Schuldt
CLICK HERE to visit OurDailyJourney.org
- Washed - In what ways is God calling you to visibly represent Him to someone else?...read more
- Sweet Music - What things have you been trying to handle without prayer?...read more
- Laughter - How do joy and laughter reveal the heart of God?...read more
- Powerful Patience - How can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?...read more
- Overwhelmed - What has sunk your spirits today?...read more
- Greater - How does the knowledge that God is greater than our storms impact the way you feel?...read more
- Voice of Reason - How do you respond to the rage of others?...read more
- Source of Truth - What does Scripture reveal about the issues on your mind today?...read more
- Little Things - Do you measure yourself and others according to God’s standards or the world’s?...read more
- Jesus the Reconciler - What does it add to your understanding of the cross to recognize that Jesus was enacting your reconciliation with God?...read more
- Tasting Heaven - How can you echo God’s future banquet by inviting diverse guests to your dinner parties?...read more
- Possible - What does it mean for you to know that Jesus is your Shepherd?...read more
- "Follow Me!" - Why are you following Jesus?...read more
- Here’s Hope - Why do we sometimes keep our struggles to ourselves?...read more
- Is Jesus Enough? - How do you react when you see injustice in the world, or when circumstances are against you and God seems to be silent?...read more
- Greater Work - What life experience has most challenged your understanding of prayer?...read more