Genuine LoveHow have you experienced the reality of God’s love?
Top Music Videos
shamed and disarmed
Hospital chaplain Matt Marino received a call to go to a patient’s room. He expected to find someone gravely ill, fearful, or clinging to life. Instead, he was surprised to find a “strikingly attractive 23-year-old sitting up cheerfully in the hospital bed, holding her infant daughter and chatting with family and friends.” Confused, Matt quietly asked the nurse why he had been called.
“Oh,” the nurse said, “she looks fabulous, feels great— and wants to go home.” “Then why am I here?” “Because we will be disconnecting her life support in 3 days and you will be doing her funeral in 4.” The young woman’s liver was shutting down, but she wouldn’t admit it.
There’s a moment in Paul’s letter to the Colossians that expresses a similar disconnect. But it’s not as it might appear to be. Paul announced that by Jesus’ brutal, unjust death, He “disarmed the spiritual rulers and authorities” and “shamed them publicly by His victory over them on the cross” (Colossians 2:15).
But wasn’t Jesus disarmed, stripped naked, and subjected to ridicule? Wasn’t the cross the shameful place where the Roman Empire made a public spectacle of Jesus, demonstrating their authority?
Not at all. Jesus disarmed the authorities by gathering onto Himself all their violence and injustice. The forces of this world exhausted themselves on Jesus, leaving them disarmed, with nothing left. Further, Jesus made a “public spectacle” (v.15 NIV) of them by revealing on the cross what these powers truly were: incapable of righteousness and incapable of correct judgment.
The cross stripped the powers of their pretentious self-righteousness, and the resurrection asserted Jesus as Lord over all. —Winn Collier
[Christ] disarmed the spiritual rulers and authorities (v.15).
Read Colossians 3:1-4. After the cross, what did the resurrection enact? What does it mean for us today?
What powers of this world need to be disarmed by Jesus? What does it mean for you to know that Jesus’ power is ultimate?
- Genuine Love - How have you experienced the reality of God’s love?...read more
- Straight Up - Is there a current situation in your life where you’ve been less than honest?...read more
- He Saw Something - Have you seen something so true that you would be willing to live or die for it?...read more
- Higher Law, Higher Love - What choice of conscience faces you today?...read more
- Stay or Run Away - How might God want you to display His glory in your life?...read more
- Jealousy and Generosity - To help His followers understand what the kingdom of heaven is like and the dangers of comparison obsession, Jesus told a parable about a landowner who hired workers to tend his vineyard....read more
- On the Fringe - Who sits alone at church that you can befriend?...read more
- Taming Anger - Think back to a time when you lashed out in anger, or when someone lashed out at you....read more
- Full of Joy - How can you tap into God’s joy more fully?...read more
- Mistaken vs. Hard Hearts - How have you experienced a hard heart toward God in your relationship with Him?...read more
- The Narrow Door - How can salvation be a free gift simply received and yet still require our response?...read more
- Last Dance - How can you focus on thoughts that are lovely and admirable today?...read more
- Free to Forgive - How has God’s forgiveness changed your heart?...read more
- Friendly Wounds - What does it mean to “speak the truth in love”?...read more
- Hope Awakening - Do you tend to see the glass as half empty or half full?...read more
- Life and Loss - Where are you going with your pain?...read more