Happy at YouDo you know deep down that God loves you dearly?
Top Christian Music Videos
shamed and disarmed
Hospital chaplain Matt Marino received a call to go to a patient’s room. He expected to find someone gravely ill, fearful, or clinging to life. Instead, he was surprised to find a “strikingly attractive 23-year-old sitting up cheerfully in the hospital bed, holding her infant daughter and chatting with family and friends.” Confused, Matt quietly asked the nurse why he had been called.
“Oh,” the nurse said, “she looks fabulous, feels great— and wants to go home.” “Then why am I here?” “Because we will be disconnecting her life support in 3 days and you will be doing her funeral in 4.” The young woman’s liver was shutting down, but she wouldn’t admit it.
There’s a moment in Paul’s letter to the Colossians that expresses a similar disconnect. But it’s not as it might appear to be. Paul announced that by Jesus’ brutal, unjust death, He “disarmed the spiritual rulers and authorities” and “shamed them publicly by His victory over them on the cross” (Colossians 2:15).
But wasn’t Jesus disarmed, stripped naked, and subjected to ridicule? Wasn’t the cross the shameful place where the Roman Empire made a public spectacle of Jesus, demonstrating their authority?
Not at all. Jesus disarmed the authorities by gathering onto Himself all their violence and injustice. The forces of this world exhausted themselves on Jesus, leaving them disarmed, with nothing left. Further, Jesus made a “public spectacle” (v.15 NIV) of them by revealing on the cross what these powers truly were: incapable of righteousness and incapable of correct judgment.
The cross stripped the powers of their pretentious self-righteousness, and the resurrection asserted Jesus as Lord over all. —Winn Collier
[Christ] disarmed the spiritual rulers and authorities (v.15).
Read Colossians 3:1-4. After the cross, what did the resurrection enact? What does it mean for us today?
What powers of this world need to be disarmed by Jesus? What does it mean for you to know that Jesus’ power is ultimate?
- Happy at You - Do you know deep down that God loves you dearly?...read more
- The Shepherd's Voice - Have you ever had an experience where you believe God spoke to you?...read more
- Fearless - How can you learn to trust God more deeply and follow Him more courageously?...read more
- Next Steps - Have you ever made a choice or taken an unwise risk that caused you pain?...read more
- Cleansing and Calling - What does it mean to follow God’s calling in your life?...read more
- Finding Refuge - What does it mean for God to be your true refuge?...read more
- Why Pray? - What do you need to ask God for today?...read more
- Love and Adoption - What does it mean to you to be adopted by your heavenly Father?...read more
- Worship and Service - Why is it so vital for you to worship God with all you are?...read more
- Holy Desperation - Do you have a personal relationship with Jesus?...read more
- Insisting on Joy - What would it look like for you to insist on joy this week?...read more
- Hot Water - Where in your spiritual life have you become complacent?...read more
- Remade - Do any areas of your life need to be remade?...read more
- God’s Renewing Presence - What can you do to experience God’s renewing presence today?...read more
- Enduring Hope - Have you lost hope and become disillusioned with life?...read more
- Grasping Grace - What does God’s grace mean to you?...read more