MemorialsHow could you memorialize something God has done for you this week?
Top Music Videos
I have a friend who admitted to cheating on her husband. But rather than repent and come clean right away, she grudgingly gave up ground only when it was required. She initially hoped that offering to attend counseling would appease her husband. When that didn't work, she eventually agreed to quit her job where she had the affair. Then she floated a vague apology that skirted the numerous ways she had destroyed her family. Her strategy was sad and silly, sad because she had not owned her sin, and silly because she supposed that she could bargain her way out.
Pharaoh tried the same approach. He initially refused to let Israel leave Egypt to worship the Lord, but after the plagues of blood, frogs, gnats, and flies, he pretended to give up. " â€˜All right! Go ahead and offer sacrifices to your God,' he said, â€˜But do it here in this land.' " When Moses protested that God had demanded that Israel leave Egypt, Pharaoh bartered, "All right, go ahead. . . . but don't go too far away" (Exodus 8:25,28).
Pharaoh soon changed his mind and refused to let Israel go, but the ensuing plagues of boils, hail, and locusts brought him back to the bargaining table. This time he said that Israel could depart, but only the men. They were to leave the women and children behind as collateral for their return (Exodus 10:10-11). Pharaoh never did give in completely, for even after he allowed Israel to leave, he chased them all the way to the banks of the Red Sea. There, the Lord finally drowned Pharaoh's army, taking by force what Pharaoh refused to give willingly.
Have you sinned against another person? Don't drag your feet or use whatever leverage you have to avoid making a full confession. And don't even try to bargain with God. As Pharaoh learned too late, God doesn't deal. , Mike Wittmer
CLICK HERE to visit OurDailyJourney.org
- Memorials - How could you memorialize something God has done for you this week?...read more
- Sound Sensitive - Just as with Samuel, may we know the presence of God throughout the day....read more
- Rich in Good Works - How can you encourage other believers in Jesus to “be rich in good works”?...read more
- What Sets Us Free - Do you ever try to earn points with God?...read more
- Washed - In what ways is God calling you to visibly represent Him to someone else?...read more
- Sweet Music - What things have you been trying to handle without prayer?...read more
- Laughter - How do joy and laughter reveal the heart of God?...read more
- Powerful Patience - How can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?...read more
- Overwhelmed - What has sunk your spirits today?...read more
- Greater - How does the knowledge that God is greater than our storms impact the way you feel?...read more
- Voice of Reason - How do you respond to the rage of others?...read more
- Source of Truth - What does Scripture reveal about the issues on your mind today?...read more
- Little Things - Do you measure yourself and others according to God’s standards or the world’s?...read more
- Jesus the Reconciler - What does it add to your understanding of the cross to recognize that Jesus was enacting your reconciliation with God?...read more
- Tasting Heaven - How can you echo God’s future banquet by inviting diverse guests to your dinner parties?...read more
- Possible - What does it mean for you to know that Jesus is your Shepherd?...read more