Sweet MusicWhat things have you been trying to handle without prayer?
Top Music Videos
Rebekah Rushing, who was a high-level executive assistant at Enron Corporation before it collapsed due to accounting fraud in 2001, demonstrated that ethics is much more than not doing wrong. She went beyond looking out for herself. Rushing, along with two former colleagues, set up a fund at a local bank to help other displaced workers. With $90 of her own money and the help of some publicity, the fund grew into hundreds of thousands of dollars. It was then disbursed to needy former Enron employees. Rushing was quoted as saying: "Things worked out for me and I want them to work out for everyone else." It's easy to see that Rushing is a woman who lives to help others, not just herself.
Luke described a woman in the New Testament who selflessly gave to others as well. Tabitha, a devoted believer in Jesus (Acts 9:36), produced fruits of justifying faith in Jesus Christ. Her good works flowed from her faith in Jesus, and her faith motivated her to perform good works in abundance, particularly by tangibly helping the widows of Joppa (vv.36,39). While serving the poor in her community, however, she became ill and died. Later, she was miraculously brought back to life by God's power (vv.40-41).
Tabitha is a great example of how we should live to serve others. It all begins with a vibrant relationship with Jesus. We can't begin to live beyond our own concerns if we aren't in fellowship with the One who lived and died for us. As we stay connected to the True Vine (John 15:1-5) and follow Him, He will live His life through us, and that life includes selfless service, generosity, and personal sacrifice. It also includes seeing, not ignoring, the needs of others. And by the grace that flows from Jesus to us, we tangibly give of ourselves to meet those needs. , Marvin Williams
CLICK HERE to visit OurDailyJourney.org
- Sweet Music - What things have you been trying to handle without prayer?...read more
- Laughter - How do joy and laughter reveal the heart of God?...read more
- Powerful Patience - How can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?...read more
- Overwhelmed - What has sunk your spirits today?...read more
- Greater - How does the knowledge that God is greater than our storms impact the way you feel?...read more
- Voice of Reason - How do you respond to the rage of others?...read more
- Source of Truth - What does Scripture reveal about the issues on your mind today?...read more
- Little Things - Do you measure yourself and others according to God’s standards or the world’s?...read more
- Jesus the Reconciler - What does it add to your understanding of the cross to recognize that Jesus was enacting your reconciliation with God?...read more
- Tasting Heaven - How can you echo God’s future banquet by inviting diverse guests to your dinner parties?...read more
- Possible - What does it mean for you to know that Jesus is your Shepherd?...read more
- "Follow Me!" - Why are you following Jesus?...read more
- Here’s Hope - Why do we sometimes keep our struggles to ourselves?...read more
- Is Jesus Enough? - How do you react when you see injustice in the world, or when circumstances are against you and God seems to be silent?...read more
- Greater Work - What life experience has most challenged your understanding of prayer?...read more
- Awe - Where and when do you find yourself most in awe of God?...read more