LaughterHow do joy and laughter reveal the heart of God?
Top Music Videos
My husband and I were leaving a restaurant one evening when a distraught couple approached us. Their story?
Car problems. From out of town. Waiting for their ride. We responded with compassion, desiring to help them and possibly introduce them to Jesus.
We even went to buy two meals and brought them to the hotel where they said they were staying. Arriving at the hotel, we were disappointed when the clerk instructed us to simply leave the meals at the front desk. (We later determined that he was part of a scam) A few weeks later we again saw the couple begging outside another restaurant. We had been deceived.
In such a moment, we might find it hard to see what Paul meant when he said, "God has given us this task of reconciling people to Him" (2 Cor. 5:18).
Oftentimes, compassion becomes marked with a sense of romanticism in our minds. Feeling noble, we respond to another's need with the ideal that our response will not only alleviate their suffering but bring redemption to their stories. No wonder the disappointment when we find we've been deceived.
Working from an entirely different value system, God doesn't assess our sacrifices based on whether or not others truly appreciate what we give. Neither should we. Jesus didn't lay down His life simply for the deserving, the honest, or the thankful. He died for the broken, even for those clothed in spiritual death and persistent in their deceptive endeavors.
To reconcile the world to Christ is to give what is not deserved (Romans 5:8; Ephesians 2:4-9). To exchange kindness for unkindness. To give love instead of hate. To honestly care in the face of dishonesty. In true kingdom fashion, such gentle and humble sacrifices offer great reward. No one can take anything from us, for all that we have has been freely given to us. With whatever measure we give, we receive. , Regina Franklin
CLICK HERE to visit OurDailyJourney.org
- Laughter - How do joy and laughter reveal the heart of God?...read more
- Powerful Patience - How can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?...read more
- Overwhelmed - What has sunk your spirits today?...read more
- Greater - How does the knowledge that God is greater than our storms impact the way you feel?...read more
- Voice of Reason - How do you respond to the rage of others?...read more
- Source of Truth - What does Scripture reveal about the issues on your mind today?...read more
- Little Things - Do you measure yourself and others according to God’s standards or the world’s?...read more
- Jesus the Reconciler - What does it add to your understanding of the cross to recognize that Jesus was enacting your reconciliation with God?...read more
- Tasting Heaven - How can you echo God’s future banquet by inviting diverse guests to your dinner parties?...read more
- Possible - What does it mean for you to know that Jesus is your Shepherd?...read more
- "Follow Me!" - Why are you following Jesus?...read more
- Here’s Hope - Why do we sometimes keep our struggles to ourselves?...read more
- Is Jesus Enough? - How do you react when you see injustice in the world, or when circumstances are against you and God seems to be silent?...read more
- Greater Work - What life experience has most challenged your understanding of prayer?...read more
- Awe - Where and when do you find yourself most in awe of God?...read more
- Purpose - How does the apostle Paul’s life demonstrate God’s “purpose” to you?...read more