MemorialsHow could you memorialize something God has done for you this week?
Top Music Videos
Read the first 8 chapters of the gospel of John and you get the distinct impression that inaccurate views of two men, Moses and Abraham, stood in the way of many first-century Jews believing in Jesus. For instance:
â€¢ Jesus heals a lame man on the Sabbath (5:8-10). The Pharisees charge Jesus with breaking the Mosaic Law (vv.10,16,18). Moses remained their authority even though the Lord of the Sabbath had come (Luke 6:5). â€¢ Jesus calls the Jews to believe in Him (John 6:29). "Show us a miraculous sign," they reply. Moses had given them manna from heaven, "What can you do?" (vv.30-31). They clung to the bread of Moses when the "bread of life" was right there (vv.32-36). â€¢ Jesus calls for followers whom He will set free (8:31- 32). "But we are descendants of Abraham," the people reply. "We have never been slaves to anyone" and so need no release (v.33). â€¢ "Anyone who obeys My teaching will never die!" Jesus says a few moments later (v.51). "Are You greater than our father Abraham?" the Jews retort (v.53).
In case after case, misinterpretation and misunderstanding of Moses and Abraham blurred their vision to the One to whom these very heroes were pointing (5:46). Did you catch that? The two men were not the problem, Jesus commended their examples (8:39). But the inaccurate view of any religious hero can keep us from accurately seeing Jesus.
Who are your religious heroes? Lutherans might say Martin Luther. Methodists might say John Wesley. Reformed folks might say John Calvin. How many theological battles have been fought between the modern-day followers of each? When others are raised as ultimate heroes, Jesus is eclipsed.
Christian leaders are God's gift to us (Ephesians 4:7-13), but wholehearted devotion belongs to Jesus alone. , Sheridan Voysey, Our Daily Journey
CLICK HERE to visit OurDailyJourney.org
- Memorials - How could you memorialize something God has done for you this week?...read more
- Sound Sensitive - Just as with Samuel, may we know the presence of God throughout the day....read more
- Rich in Good Works - How can you encourage other believers in Jesus to “be rich in good works”?...read more
- What Sets Us Free - Do you ever try to earn points with God?...read more
- Washed - In what ways is God calling you to visibly represent Him to someone else?...read more
- Sweet Music - What things have you been trying to handle without prayer?...read more
- Laughter - How do joy and laughter reveal the heart of God?...read more
- Powerful Patience - How can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?...read more
- Overwhelmed - What has sunk your spirits today?...read more
- Greater - How does the knowledge that God is greater than our storms impact the way you feel?...read more
- Voice of Reason - How do you respond to the rage of others?...read more
- Source of Truth - What does Scripture reveal about the issues on your mind today?...read more
- Little Things - Do you measure yourself and others according to God’s standards or the world’s?...read more
- Jesus the Reconciler - What does it add to your understanding of the cross to recognize that Jesus was enacting your reconciliation with God?...read more
- Tasting Heaven - How can you echo God’s future banquet by inviting diverse guests to your dinner parties?...read more
- Possible - What does it mean for you to know that Jesus is your Shepherd?...read more