Happy Ascension DayWhat’s one way you can celebrate the ascension of Jesus Christ today?
Top Music Videos
Years ago, Charles Haddon Spurgeon wrote in Sermons on Sovereignty: "There are two sins of man that are bred in the bone, and that continually come out in the flesh. One is self-dependence and the other is self-exaltation. It is very hard, even for the best of men, to keep themselves from the first error. The holiest of Christians, and those who understand best the gospel of Christ, find in themselves a constant inclination to look to the power of the creature, instead of looking to the power of God and the power of God alone."
Hundreds of years after Esau and Jacob's birthday, God expressed His holy anger and condemnation toward the Edomites' pride (Obadiah 1:1-2). They had attacked the Judeans during the Babylonian crisis, instead of assisting them (vv.10-14). They delighted in bringing disaster to God's people. This greatly displeased God. He also condemned their pride of heart that made them think they were indestructible (v.3).
The Edomites lived in the mountainous region east of the Arabah, with elevations up to 5,000 feet above sea level. Their inaccessible location had given them a false sense of security and feeling of invulnerability. The sins of self-dependence and self-exaltation were bred in their bones and were continually coming out in their words and actions. Edom asked a rhetorical question: "Who can ever reach us way up here?" The Lord answered: "I will bring you crashing down" (v.4).
God still opposes the proud and arrogant. Every human effort at self-security will ultimately fail and be made small before God. What God desires from His people is humility, an attitude of submission and obedience, grounded in the acknowledgment of our true needy status before Him. , Marvin Williams, Our Daily Journey
CLICK HERE to visit OurDailyJourney.org
- Happy Ascension Day - What’s one way you can celebrate the ascension of Jesus Christ today?...read more
- Mixed Bag - Are there any blind spots in your life?...read more
- All We Need - How might you trust God for the bounty He alone can provide?...read more
- Simple Things - What simple pleasures can you rediscover with God today?...read more
- Thirsty? - How has God provided our identity and significance in Jesus?...read more
- Freedom from Stress - How can loving and obeying God help you to find the peace He has promised His children?...read more
- Portrait of Jesus - What did Jesus endure for you?...read more
- Slow Learners - What are you struggling to understand in your faith journey with Jesus?...read more
- The Same God - Why would it be wrong for God to not deal with sin in such a serious way?...read more
- In Jesus’ Love - What Scripture verses have been most encouraging to you?...read more
- Don’t Hesitate - How can you become more confident in sharing your faith?...read more
- Broken Instruments - Has anyone ever paid the cost of fixing something you’ve broken or destroyed?...read more
- True Sacrifice - How can you better remind yourself of your great wealth in Christ?...read more
- Jesus and the Junk - What are you trying to hide from God and others?...read more
- Changing Our Tune - What angers you today and why?...read more
- Blending In - What does it mean to stand for Jesus instead of blending in?...read more