WashedIn what ways is God calling you to visibly represent Him to someone else?
Top Music Videos
Years ago, Charles Haddon Spurgeon wrote in Sermons on Sovereignty: "There are two sins of man that are bred in the bone, and that continually come out in the flesh. One is self-dependence and the other is self-exaltation. It is very hard, even for the best of men, to keep themselves from the first error. The holiest of Christians, and those who understand best the gospel of Christ, find in themselves a constant inclination to look to the power of the creature, instead of looking to the power of God and the power of God alone."
Hundreds of years after Esau and Jacob's birthday, God expressed His holy anger and condemnation toward the Edomites' pride (Obadiah 1:1-2). They had attacked the Judeans during the Babylonian crisis, instead of assisting them (vv.10-14). They delighted in bringing disaster to God's people. This greatly displeased God. He also condemned their pride of heart that made them think they were indestructible (v.3).
The Edomites lived in the mountainous region east of the Arabah, with elevations up to 5,000 feet above sea level. Their inaccessible location had given them a false sense of security and feeling of invulnerability. The sins of self-dependence and self-exaltation were bred in their bones and were continually coming out in their words and actions. Edom asked a rhetorical question: "Who can ever reach us way up here?" The Lord answered: "I will bring you crashing down" (v.4).
God still opposes the proud and arrogant. Every human effort at self-security will ultimately fail and be made small before God. What God desires from His people is humility, an attitude of submission and obedience, grounded in the acknowledgment of our true needy status before Him. , Marvin Williams, Our Daily Journey
CLICK HERE to visit OurDailyJourney.org
- Washed - In what ways is God calling you to visibly represent Him to someone else?...read more
- Sweet Music - What things have you been trying to handle without prayer?...read more
- Laughter - How do joy and laughter reveal the heart of God?...read more
- Powerful Patience - How can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?...read more
- Overwhelmed - What has sunk your spirits today?...read more
- Greater - How does the knowledge that God is greater than our storms impact the way you feel?...read more
- Voice of Reason - How do you respond to the rage of others?...read more
- Source of Truth - What does Scripture reveal about the issues on your mind today?...read more
- Little Things - Do you measure yourself and others according to God’s standards or the world’s?...read more
- Jesus the Reconciler - What does it add to your understanding of the cross to recognize that Jesus was enacting your reconciliation with God?...read more
- Tasting Heaven - How can you echo God’s future banquet by inviting diverse guests to your dinner parties?...read more
- Possible - What does it mean for you to know that Jesus is your Shepherd?...read more
- "Follow Me!" - Why are you following Jesus?...read more
- Here’s Hope - Why do we sometimes keep our struggles to ourselves?...read more
- Is Jesus Enough? - How do you react when you see injustice in the world, or when circumstances are against you and God seems to be silent?...read more
- Greater Work - What life experience has most challenged your understanding of prayer?...read more