Happy Ascension DayWhat’s one way you can celebrate the ascension of Jesus Christ today?
Top Music Videos
When one of my sons was a young boy, he carved some words into a pristine piece of wood. Unfortunately, the beautiful board was part of our baby grand piano. Needless to say, my wife and I were not delighted with his newly honed woodworking "skills." He soon discovered that the destruction of another person's property leads to being disciplined. You might say he had to "face the music" for defacing our music maker!
God's Word plainly states that to discipline a child is vital for their growth and maturation: "Those who love their children care enough to discipline them" (Proverbs 13:24). We also read that God disciplines us for our own good and because of His love for us (Deuteronomy 8:5; Hebrews 12:6). To imitate His example means that the disciplining of our children isn't an option, it's required.
So how can we do it in a way that honors God and provides the right kind of correction for our kids? The apostle Paul provides some great insight with a little negative and positive "reinforcement" found in Ephesians 6:4:
The Negative. "Do not provoke your children to anger by the way you treat them." This teaching was radical for the patria potestas (absolute father authority) society of Paul's day. It called for fathers to be considerate of their children's feelings. "Provoking" children leads them to become resentful and unwilling to receive correction. A Christlike parent will encourage and discipline in love. The Positive. "Bring them up with the discipline and instruction that comes from the Lord." Children should be tenderly corrected and instructed at home, being brought up in ways that reflect the way our loving God delights and disciplines us.
Children need discipline. They need to face the music. Just make sure you're providing loving correction, not provoking them to destruction. , Tom Felten, Our Daily Journey
CLICK HERE to visit OurDailyJourney.org
- Happy Ascension Day - What’s one way you can celebrate the ascension of Jesus Christ today?...read more
- Mixed Bag - Are there any blind spots in your life?...read more
- All We Need - How might you trust God for the bounty He alone can provide?...read more
- Simple Things - What simple pleasures can you rediscover with God today?...read more
- Thirsty? - How has God provided our identity and significance in Jesus?...read more
- Freedom from Stress - How can loving and obeying God help you to find the peace He has promised His children?...read more
- Portrait of Jesus - What did Jesus endure for you?...read more
- Slow Learners - What are you struggling to understand in your faith journey with Jesus?...read more
- The Same God - Why would it be wrong for God to not deal with sin in such a serious way?...read more
- In Jesus’ Love - What Scripture verses have been most encouraging to you?...read more
- Don’t Hesitate - How can you become more confident in sharing your faith?...read more
- Broken Instruments - Has anyone ever paid the cost of fixing something you’ve broken or destroyed?...read more
- True Sacrifice - How can you better remind yourself of your great wealth in Christ?...read more
- Jesus and the Junk - What are you trying to hide from God and others?...read more
- Changing Our Tune - What angers you today and why?...read more
- Blending In - What does it mean to stand for Jesus instead of blending in?...read more