Top Music Videos
The Promised Spirit
Then, after doing all those things, I will pour out My Spirit upon all people (v.28).
In a world where promises are easily made and broken, many people are skeptical about the value of them. We read quotes such as, “The problem with promises is that once you’ve made one, it’s bound to be broken. It’s like an unspoken cosmic rule.”
So how good is a promise? Well, it depends on the content of the promise as well as the character and ability of the promise-maker. Thankfully, as believers in Jesus, we don’t need to be skeptical about promises. We’re recipients of promises that are “great and precious” (2 Peter 2:4), and as C. H. Spurgeon says, “[God] who makes the promise will find ways and means of keeping it.”
Today’s reading provides some compelling insights. God promised that all believers—Jews and Gentiles, men and women, old and young, servant and master—would possess the Spirit (Joel 2:28). This is an amazing promise, because at this point in history God’s people had been identified by circumcision and by obedience to the Torah. The Holy Spirit had come upon certain people for specific purposes only—such as Bezalel in Exodus 35:31.
We read of the amazing fulfillment of Jesus’ prophetic promise of the Holy Spirit in Acts 2:1—something that is still being fulfilled. For anyone who calls on the name of the Lord will receive His Holy Spirit as a seal for the day of redemption as well as empowerment to live the Christian life (Ephesians 3:16).
Just as God has brought His promise in Joel 2:28 to pass, He will also fulfill His promises in verses 30-32. The day of reckoning is coming, and God has promised that all who receive salvation will be saved (v.32).
Praise Him for being the promise-keeping God!
—Poh Fang Chia
Read 2 Corinthians 2:20 for assurance that God is completely trustworthy and will fulfill His promises.
How will the knowledge that God is a promise-keeping God shape the way you read His promises? What promises from God are most precious to you?
- Fulfilled - Why is it important to view Old Testament laws through the lens of Jesus’ fulfillment of them?...read more
- Red Houses - What has God given you—time, finances, ability—that you can use to help someone in need today?...read more
- Tongues Afire - When have you recently endured the wound of another person’s words?...read more
- True Fellowship - What comes to your mind when you hear the word fellowship?...read more
- After 35 - What does it mean for you to rely on God in all things?...read more
- The Failure Wall - In what ways do you need to be prepared for encounters with spiritual enemies?...read more
- Worship 101 - What can you praise God for today?...read more
- Distance - What expectations do you have of fellow church members when it comes to meeting your needs?...read more
- Sarcasm and Sincerity - Do your words provide a safe environment for others?...read more
- Empty Spaces - What’s taking up space in your heart?...read more
- Showing the Way - How prepared are you to share your faith with others?...read more
- New Address? - Where’s the line between worrying and simply pondering a decision?...read more
- Real Stewardship - How are you using your gifts and talents to bring God to others?...read more
- Korah’s Redemption - How has God revealed His redeeming ways to you?...read more
- Stuff We Need - How can you give lavishly to God and others today?...read more
- Rising Above - What difficulties have caused you to experience distress recently?...read more