Calling on the AirIn what ways have you called on God for direction ?
Top Christian Music Videos
The Promised Spirit
Then, after doing all those things, I will pour out My Spirit upon all people (v.28).
In a world where promises are easily made and broken, many people are skeptical about the value of them. We read quotes such as, “The problem with promises is that once you’ve made one, it’s bound to be broken. It’s like an unspoken cosmic rule.”
So how good is a promise? Well, it depends on the content of the promise as well as the character and ability of the promise-maker. Thankfully, as believers in Jesus, we don’t need to be skeptical about promises. We’re recipients of promises that are “great and precious” (2 Peter 2:4), and as C. H. Spurgeon says, “[God] who makes the promise will find ways and means of keeping it.”
Today’s reading provides some compelling insights. God promised that all believers—Jews and Gentiles, men and women, old and young, servant and master—would possess the Spirit (Joel 2:28). This is an amazing promise, because at this point in history God’s people had been identified by circumcision and by obedience to the Torah. The Holy Spirit had come upon certain people for specific purposes only—such as Bezalel in Exodus 35:31.
We read of the amazing fulfillment of Jesus’ prophetic promise of the Holy Spirit in Acts 2:1—something that is still being fulfilled. For anyone who calls on the name of the Lord will receive His Holy Spirit as a seal for the day of redemption as well as empowerment to live the Christian life (Ephesians 3:16).
Just as God has brought His promise in Joel 2:28 to pass, He will also fulfill His promises in verses 30-32. The day of reckoning is coming, and God has promised that all who receive salvation will be saved (v.32).
Praise Him for being the promise-keeping God!
—Poh Fang Chia
Read 2 Corinthians 2:20 for assurance that God is completely trustworthy and will fulfill His promises.
How will the knowledge that God is a promise-keeping God shape the way you read His promises? What promises from God are most precious to you?
- Calling on the Air - In what ways have you called on God for direction ?...read more
- Only the Beginning - What hope has God brought you today?...read more
- Disciplined for Freedom - Praise God and display your gratitude to Him today!...read more
- What Will We Become? - What does it mean for you to be God’s masterpiece?...read more
- Taking the Hate - Which portions of the Bible trouble you the most?...read more
- Not a Distant God - Read Romans 8:31-39 to be reminded of the intimate love God has for us....read more
- A Greater Power - Read Jeremiah 31:20-25 and consider the power of God’s restoration...read more
- Anger Management - Read Matthew 5:21-22 to see what Jesus said about anger and sin....read more
- Moving Past Memories - How can experiencing God’s forgiveness for our sin help us to extend grace to others?...read more
- There is Hope - What has caused you to lose hope recently?...read more
- Transformed! - How has God’s power helped you overcome fear?...read more
- Breaking Toward Freedom - Where are you experiencing a need for freedom?...read more
- A Spiritual Powerlift - How are you practicing walking in the power of the Holy Spirit?...read more
- Avoiding Ditches - What distractions are you facing?...read more
- Leading Somewhere Good - How are you seeking to walk with God today?...read more
- Songs in the Night - What’s your favorite worship song?...read more