Next StepsHave you ever made a choice or taken an unwise risk that caused you pain?
Top Christian Music Videos
The Promised Spirit
Then, after doing all those things, I will pour out My Spirit upon all people (v.28).
In a world where promises are easily made and broken, many people are skeptical about the value of them. We read quotes such as, “The problem with promises is that once you’ve made one, it’s bound to be broken. It’s like an unspoken cosmic rule.”
So how good is a promise? Well, it depends on the content of the promise as well as the character and ability of the promise-maker. Thankfully, as believers in Jesus, we don’t need to be skeptical about promises. We’re recipients of promises that are “great and precious” (2 Peter 2:4), and as C. H. Spurgeon says, “[God] who makes the promise will find ways and means of keeping it.”
Today’s reading provides some compelling insights. God promised that all believers—Jews and Gentiles, men and women, old and young, servant and master—would possess the Spirit (Joel 2:28). This is an amazing promise, because at this point in history God’s people had been identified by circumcision and by obedience to the Torah. The Holy Spirit had come upon certain people for specific purposes only—such as Bezalel in Exodus 35:31.
We read of the amazing fulfillment of Jesus’ prophetic promise of the Holy Spirit in Acts 2:1—something that is still being fulfilled. For anyone who calls on the name of the Lord will receive His Holy Spirit as a seal for the day of redemption as well as empowerment to live the Christian life (Ephesians 3:16).
Just as God has brought His promise in Joel 2:28 to pass, He will also fulfill His promises in verses 30-32. The day of reckoning is coming, and God has promised that all who receive salvation will be saved (v.32).
Praise Him for being the promise-keeping God!
—Poh Fang Chia
Read 2 Corinthians 2:20 for assurance that God is completely trustworthy and will fulfill His promises.
How will the knowledge that God is a promise-keeping God shape the way you read His promises? What promises from God are most precious to you?
- Next Steps - Have you ever made a choice or taken an unwise risk that caused you pain?...read more
- Cleansing and Calling - What does it mean to follow God’s calling in your life?...read more
- Finding Refuge - What does it mean for God to be your true refuge?...read more
- Why Pray? - What do you need to ask God for today?...read more
- Love and Adoption - What does it mean to you to be adopted by your heavenly Father?...read more
- Worship and Service - Why is it so vital for you to worship God with all you are?...read more
- Holy Desperation - Do you have a personal relationship with Jesus?...read more
- Insisting on Joy - What would it look like for you to insist on joy this week?...read more
- Hot Water - Where in your spiritual life have you become complacent?...read more
- Remade - Do any areas of your life need to be remade?...read more
- God’s Renewing Presence - What can you do to experience God’s renewing presence today?...read more
- Enduring Hope - Have you lost hope and become disillusioned with life?...read more
- Grasping Grace - What does God’s grace mean to you?...read more
- Clear View - How can you seek God’s wisdom and direction today?...read more
- Led by the Spirit - How do you distinguish between the leading of the Spirit and the whims and desires of your own heart?...read more
- No Longer Lost - Where have you seen God’s love and mercy in your life?...read more