Sacrificial LoveWhat does it mean for you to carry your cross?
Top Christian Music Videos
The Promised Spirit
Then, after doing all those things, I will pour out My Spirit upon all people (v.28).
In a world where promises are easily made and broken, many people are skeptical about the value of them. We read quotes such as, “The problem with promises is that once you’ve made one, it’s bound to be broken. It’s like an unspoken cosmic rule.”
So how good is a promise? Well, it depends on the content of the promise as well as the character and ability of the promise-maker. Thankfully, as believers in Jesus, we don’t need to be skeptical about promises. We’re recipients of promises that are “great and precious” (2 Peter 2:4), and as C. H. Spurgeon says, “[God] who makes the promise will find ways and means of keeping it.”
Today’s reading provides some compelling insights. God promised that all believers—Jews and Gentiles, men and women, old and young, servant and master—would possess the Spirit (Joel 2:28). This is an amazing promise, because at this point in history God’s people had been identified by circumcision and by obedience to the Torah. The Holy Spirit had come upon certain people for specific purposes only—such as Bezalel in Exodus 35:31.
We read of the amazing fulfillment of Jesus’ prophetic promise of the Holy Spirit in Acts 2:1—something that is still being fulfilled. For anyone who calls on the name of the Lord will receive His Holy Spirit as a seal for the day of redemption as well as empowerment to live the Christian life (Ephesians 3:16).
Just as God has brought His promise in Joel 2:28 to pass, He will also fulfill His promises in verses 30-32. The day of reckoning is coming, and God has promised that all who receive salvation will be saved (v.32).
Praise Him for being the promise-keeping God!
—Poh Fang Chia
Read 2 Corinthians 2:20 for assurance that God is completely trustworthy and will fulfill His promises.
How will the knowledge that God is a promise-keeping God shape the way you read His promises? What promises from God are most precious to you?
- Sacrificial Love - What does it mean for you to carry your cross?...read more
- Autograph of the Ordinary - Do you accept the truth that God is in your ordinary work?...read more
- The Gift of Love - How should you respond to such a great love?...read more
- Warm Welcome - How does warm hospitality reflect God’s loving heart?...read more
- In the Gap - What has God equipped you with to intercede for others?...read more
- Confession and Blessing - How does repentance reveal our faith and trust in Jesus?...read more
- Breaking the Mold - How are you sharing Jesus with the next generation?...read more
- Diseased Hearts - What are the implications of only God truly knowing the heart and being able to cure it?...read more
- To Make Them Better - To follow Jesus means we allow God to transform the whole of our life....read more
- Looking for Work? - Consider how God has uniquely equipped you....read more
- Out of the Blue - God intervened before we were aware of our need....read more
- Joy and Sadness - Is there sadness in your life you need to embrace?...read more
- Passion Unleashed - What gifts and talents has God given you?...read more
- Thankful for What? - How do your difficult times more clearly illustrate God’s power and redemption?...read more
- Where Desire Takes Us - What desires have you been wrestling with?...read more
- Nursing a Grudge - Why is it vital for you to bring your bitter feelings to God?...read more