Begging the Question?Do you ever feel pressure to share your faith in ways that seem awkward to you?
Top Music Videos
Even before He made the world, God loved us and
chose us in Christ (v.4).
Two weeks ago, our friends traveled to Ethiopia to
meet and bring home their newly adopted daughter.
For a couple of years, our friends have prayed for
little Lilia, saved thousands of dollars to pay the adoption
expenses, and then waited months and months until they
could welcome her into their life. But before they knew
who would be their daughter and before they knew her
name or face, they were already waiting for her. They
In his Ephesians letter, the apostle Paul offers a long list
of the myriad ways God has waited for us and desired
us. In the original Greek, these verses (1:3-14) are one
long, gushing sentence (more than 200 words). It’s as if
Paul gets carried away with excitement and his words
run off the page as he attempts to describe the extent of
God’s love for us. Paul tells us that:
• God chose us “before He made the world” (v.4).
For those of us who have always felt left out and never
included, we can relish in the fact that we’ve been
chosen. And we were chosen long before we took our
• God “decided in advance to adopt us” (v.5). For
those of us who live with the constant fear that we will
somehow bungle or mismanage God’s kindness, we can
rest in God’s firm decision to love us. If we want Jesus,
we will find He has already (and for a very long time) wanted us.
• God “has showered His kindness on us” (v.8). For those of us who have
never felt another’s extravagant, I’m-crazy-about-you love, we can rejoice in the
reality that God delights in us.
If you have never felt that you were truly wanted, know this: God wants you . . .
more than you can imagine. —Winn Collier
Read again through these
verses (vv.1-14), marking
each word that expresses
how God feels about
you or the desires God
has for you. What does
this tell you about God’s
character and heart?
When have you felt the
least desired or wanted
in your life? What does
it feel like to be desired
- Begging the Question? - Do you ever feel pressure to share your faith in ways that seem awkward to you?...read more
- Fulfilled - Why is it important to view Old Testament laws through the lens of Jesus’ fulfillment of them?...read more
- Red Houses - What has God given you—time, finances, ability—that you can use to help someone in need today?...read more
- Tongues Afire - When have you recently endured the wound of another person’s words?...read more
- True Fellowship - What comes to your mind when you hear the word fellowship?...read more
- After 35 - What does it mean for you to rely on God in all things?...read more
- The Failure Wall - In what ways do you need to be prepared for encounters with spiritual enemies?...read more
- Worship 101 - What can you praise God for today?...read more
- Distance - What expectations do you have of fellow church members when it comes to meeting your needs?...read more
- Sarcasm and Sincerity - Do your words provide a safe environment for others?...read more
- Empty Spaces - What’s taking up space in your heart?...read more
- Showing the Way - How prepared are you to share your faith with others?...read more
- New Address? - Where’s the line between worrying and simply pondering a decision?...read more
- Real Stewardship - How are you using your gifts and talents to bring God to others?...read more
- Korah’s Redemption - How has God revealed His redeeming ways to you?...read more
- Stuff We Need - How can you give lavishly to God and others today?...read more