MemorialsHow could you memorialize something God has done for you this week?
Top Music Videos
Even before He made the world, God loved us and
chose us in Christ (v.4).
Two weeks ago, our friends traveled to Ethiopia to
meet and bring home their newly adopted daughter.
For a couple of years, our friends have prayed for
little Lilia, saved thousands of dollars to pay the adoption
expenses, and then waited months and months until they
could welcome her into their life. But before they knew
who would be their daughter and before they knew her
name or face, they were already waiting for her. They
In his Ephesians letter, the apostle Paul offers a long list
of the myriad ways God has waited for us and desired
us. In the original Greek, these verses (1:3-14) are one
long, gushing sentence (more than 200 words). It’s as if
Paul gets carried away with excitement and his words
run off the page as he attempts to describe the extent of
God’s love for us. Paul tells us that:
• God chose us “before He made the world” (v.4).
For those of us who have always felt left out and never
included, we can relish in the fact that we’ve been
chosen. And we were chosen long before we took our
• God “decided in advance to adopt us” (v.5). For
those of us who live with the constant fear that we will
somehow bungle or mismanage God’s kindness, we can
rest in God’s firm decision to love us. If we want Jesus,
we will find He has already (and for a very long time) wanted us.
• God “has showered His kindness on us” (v.8). For those of us who have
never felt another’s extravagant, I’m-crazy-about-you love, we can rejoice in the
reality that God delights in us.
If you have never felt that you were truly wanted, know this: God wants you . . .
more than you can imagine. —Winn Collier
Read again through these
verses (vv.1-14), marking
each word that expresses
how God feels about
you or the desires God
has for you. What does
this tell you about God’s
character and heart?
When have you felt the
least desired or wanted
in your life? What does
it feel like to be desired
- Memorials - How could you memorialize something God has done for you this week?...read more
- Sound Sensitive - Just as with Samuel, may we know the presence of God throughout the day....read more
- Rich in Good Works - How can you encourage other believers in Jesus to “be rich in good works”?...read more
- What Sets Us Free - Do you ever try to earn points with God?...read more
- Washed - In what ways is God calling you to visibly represent Him to someone else?...read more
- Sweet Music - What things have you been trying to handle without prayer?...read more
- Laughter - How do joy and laughter reveal the heart of God?...read more
- Powerful Patience - How can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?...read more
- Overwhelmed - What has sunk your spirits today?...read more
- Greater - How does the knowledge that God is greater than our storms impact the way you feel?...read more
- Voice of Reason - How do you respond to the rage of others?...read more
- Source of Truth - What does Scripture reveal about the issues on your mind today?...read more
- Little Things - Do you measure yourself and others according to God’s standards or the world’s?...read more
- Jesus the Reconciler - What does it add to your understanding of the cross to recognize that Jesus was enacting your reconciliation with God?...read more
- Tasting Heaven - How can you echo God’s future banquet by inviting diverse guests to your dinner parties?...read more
- Possible - What does it mean for you to know that Jesus is your Shepherd?...read more