True FellowshipWhat comes to your mind when you hear the word fellowship?
Top Music Videos
Fill the earth and govern it (v.28).
Is God green? Did Jesus have anything to say about the
environment? What is my role as a Christian in caring
for the earth?” These questions caught my attention
as I thumbed through the introductory pages of The
Green Bible. Just as many versions of the Bible highlight
Jesus’ words in red, this version features verses about
the elements of creation in green. Intrigued, I opened to
Genesis. The entire first page, and much of the second,
appeared in grass-colored ink.
As I read through some of the Bible’s other green
passages, it occurred to me that as earthlings, we’re
more like tenants than owners. “The earth is the Lord’s,
and everything in it” (1 Corinthians 1:26), and yet,
“[The Lord] has given the earth to all humanity” (Psalms 115:16). Since God is ultimately in charge of our cosmic
address, we should take good care of His property.
God furnished the earth for some important purposes:
to keep us alive and for our enjoyment. In an opening
statement to humankind, He said: I’ve given you every
plant and all the fruit trees for your food (Genesis 1:28). He fashioned an atmosphere that allows us
to breathe (vv.6-8). He set the world in motion so that
gravity would keep our feet on the ground.
Today, everyone agrees that the earth sustains human
life. The problem is that some people make the mistake
of “worship[ing] and serv[ing] the things God created instead of the Creator
Himself” (Romans 1:25). The earth is not sacred. Our planet is temporary, and
when it has served God’s purposes, He will throw back the curtains to reveal a
new heaven and a fresh earth (Revelation 21:1).
How does the Bible influence your view of the earth? How can
you share what the Bible says about the environment with others?
- True Fellowship - What comes to your mind when you hear the word fellowship?...read more
- After 35 - What does it mean for you to rely on God in all things?...read more
- The Failure Wall - In what ways do you need to be prepared for encounters with spiritual enemies?...read more
- Worship 101 - What can you praise God for today?...read more
- Distance - What expectations do you have of fellow church members when it comes to meeting your needs?...read more
- Sarcasm and Sincerity - Do your words provide a safe environment for others?...read more
- Empty Spaces - What’s taking up space in your heart?...read more
- Showing the Way - How prepared are you to share your faith with others?...read more
- New Address? - Where’s the line between worrying and simply pondering a decision?...read more
- Real Stewardship - How are you using your gifts and talents to bring God to others?...read more
- Korah’s Redemption - How has God revealed His redeeming ways to you?...read more
- Stuff We Need - How can you give lavishly to God and others today?...read more
- Rising Above - What difficulties have caused you to experience distress recently?...read more
- God Our Restorer - Are you in need of God’s restorative power today?...read more
- You're Called - Are you dissatisfied with your present calling?...read more
- The Art of Joy - What has hindered you from experiencing joy this week?...read more