Running the RaceHow deliberate are you in your spiritual training?
Top Christian Music Videos
Fill the earth and govern it (v.28).
Is God green? Did Jesus have anything to say about the
environment? What is my role as a Christian in caring
for the earth?” These questions caught my attention
as I thumbed through the introductory pages of The
Green Bible. Just as many versions of the Bible highlight
Jesus’ words in red, this version features verses about
the elements of creation in green. Intrigued, I opened to
Genesis. The entire first page, and much of the second,
appeared in grass-colored ink.
As I read through some of the Bible’s other green
passages, it occurred to me that as earthlings, we’re
more like tenants than owners. “The earth is the Lord’s,
and everything in it” (1 Corinthians 1:26), and yet,
“[The Lord] has given the earth to all humanity” (Psalms 115:16). Since God is ultimately in charge of our cosmic
address, we should take good care of His property.
God furnished the earth for some important purposes:
to keep us alive and for our enjoyment. In an opening
statement to humankind, He said: I’ve given you every
plant and all the fruit trees for your food (Genesis 1:28). He fashioned an atmosphere that allows us
to breathe (vv.6-8). He set the world in motion so that
gravity would keep our feet on the ground.
Today, everyone agrees that the earth sustains human
life. The problem is that some people make the mistake
of “worship[ing] and serv[ing] the things God created instead of the Creator
Himself” (Romans 1:25). The earth is not sacred. Our planet is temporary, and
when it has served God’s purposes, He will throw back the curtains to reveal a
new heaven and a fresh earth (Revelation 21:1).
How does the Bible influence your view of the earth? How can
you share what the Bible says about the environment with others?
- Running the Race - How deliberate are you in your spiritual training?...read more
- Out of Love - How did God show love for us through His sacrifice?...read more
- God's Masterpiece - What does it mean for God’s people to be a masterpiece?...read more
- Prayerful Retreat - How often do you have a “prayerful retreat” with God?...read more
- Laying Down Our Lives - What sometimes holds you back from laying down your life for others?...read more
- A Little Farther - Do you hear much about lament in your local church?...read more
- Distraction - What’s your biggest distraction as you strive to follow Jesus?...read more
- Intentional Defiance - Be encouraged by a God who is with you to discipline and lead you away from wrong turns....read more
- The Family Name - How do you show appreciation for the reconciliation God has offered?...read more
- Unwavering Love - What does it mean for you to rest in God’s unwavering love?...read more
- Far Better - What are you most looking forward to when God calls you home?...read more
- A Good Name - When you consider your reputation, what might you change to better reflect Jesus to others?...read more
- Light the Path - How have others illumined the path for you to Jesus?...read more
- More Than Feelings - God created us to live in the fullness of His image—emotions included....read more
- Of Penguins and People - Who needs your committed, enduring love today?...read more
- Big and Small - What do you do with your worries?...read more