VictoryWhat battles are you facing these days?
Top Music Videos
Fill the earth and govern it (v.28).
Is God green? Did Jesus have anything to say about the
environment? What is my role as a Christian in caring
for the earth?” These questions caught my attention
as I thumbed through the introductory pages of The
Green Bible. Just as many versions of the Bible highlight
Jesus’ words in red, this version features verses about
the elements of creation in green. Intrigued, I opened to
Genesis. The entire first page, and much of the second,
appeared in grass-colored ink.
As I read through some of the Bible’s other green
passages, it occurred to me that as earthlings, we’re
more like tenants than owners. “The earth is the Lord’s,
and everything in it” (1 Corinthians 1:26), and yet,
“[The Lord] has given the earth to all humanity” (Psalms 115:16). Since God is ultimately in charge of our cosmic
address, we should take good care of His property.
God furnished the earth for some important purposes:
to keep us alive and for our enjoyment. In an opening
statement to humankind, He said: I’ve given you every
plant and all the fruit trees for your food (Genesis 1:28). He fashioned an atmosphere that allows us
to breathe (vv.6-8). He set the world in motion so that
gravity would keep our feet on the ground.
Today, everyone agrees that the earth sustains human
life. The problem is that some people make the mistake
of “worship[ing] and serv[ing] the things God created instead of the Creator
Himself” (Romans 1:25). The earth is not sacred. Our planet is temporary, and
when it has served God’s purposes, He will throw back the curtains to reveal a
new heaven and a fresh earth (Revelation 21:1).
How does the Bible influence your view of the earth? How can
you share what the Bible says about the environment with others?
- Victory - What battles are you facing these days?...read more
- Starting Over - Have you experienced a fresh start in Jesus?...read more
- Genuine Love - How have you experienced the reality of God’s love?...read more
- Straight Up - Is there a current situation in your life where you’ve been less than honest?...read more
- He Saw Something - Have you seen something so true that you would be willing to live or die for it?...read more
- Higher Law, Higher Love - What choice of conscience faces you today?...read more
- Stay or Run Away - How might God want you to display His glory in your life?...read more
- Jealousy and Generosity - To help His followers understand what the kingdom of heaven is like and the dangers of comparison obsession, Jesus told a parable about a landowner who hired workers to tend his vineyard....read more
- On the Fringe - Who sits alone at church that you can befriend?...read more
- Taming Anger - Think back to a time when you lashed out in anger, or when someone lashed out at you....read more
- Full of Joy - How can you tap into God’s joy more fully?...read more
- Mistaken vs. Hard Hearts - How have you experienced a hard heart toward God in your relationship with Him?...read more
- The Narrow Door - How can salvation be a free gift simply received and yet still require our response?...read more
- Last Dance - How can you focus on thoughts that are lovely and admirable today?...read more
- Free to Forgive - How has God’s forgiveness changed your heart?...read more
- Friendly Wounds - What does it mean to “speak the truth in love”?...read more